• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

gvl

Major Contributor
Define preamplifier. If it's a box that can control volume then the DAC8 can do it. You can't connect a turntable to it however.

Bliman

Define preamplifier. If it's a box that can control volume then the DAC8 can do it. You can't connect a turntable to it however.
That's a difficult one for me. I would use it to connect it to a power amplifier and to a cd player.

D

Deleted member 2944

Nowadays, there are loads of different devices than can occupy the spot between source(s) and power amplifier.
"Preamplifier" (in the traditional sense) is now a rather dated term/label.
Regardless, this is not really the thread to discuss the definition of it.

Bliman

Nowadays, there are loads of different devices than can occupy the spot between source(s) and power amplifier.
"Preamplifier" (in the traditional sense) is now a rather dated term/label.
Regardless, this is not really the thread to discuss the definition of it.
But I would like to know if it is a good preamplifier? I don't have much knowledge of these things. I would imagine that it is also not so simple to make a good preamplifier. Maybe the maker could come in and explain how good it is as preamplifier. Again I would couple it to a lyngdorf poweramplifier and a nad c542 cd player. And then from power amplifier to dynaudio 52se speakers and q acoustics subwoofer. And also is this a serious company or a one man adventure?

gvl

Major Contributor
That's a difficult one for me. I would use it to connect it to a power amplifier and to a cd player.

You should be okay with the 2ch model as the 8ch reviewed here will only have a USB input it seems. You want to check the sensitivity of your amp and request an appropriate output voltage configured suitable for your amp if the default setting is too high or low.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But I would like to know if it is a good preamplifier? I don't have much knowledge of these things. I would imagine that it is also not so simple to make a good preamplifier.
If all you want to play is digital sources, then yes, the DAC8 makes an excellent "pre-amplifier." Any pre-amp you put after it will likely reduce its performance.

The only reason you would need a classic pre-amp is if you had analog sources.

Bliman

If all you want to play is digital sources, then yes, the DAC8 makes an excellent "pre-amplifier." Any pre-amp you put after it will likely reduce its performance.

The only reason you would need a classic pre-amp is if you had analog sources.
First I dont want to sound pathetic. But thanks all for replying. Also I certainly don't want to judge your knowledge. But why do you say it is a great preamplifier?

Reactions: MWC
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
First I dont want to sound pathetic. But thanks all for replying. Also I certainly don't want to judge your knowledge. But why do you say it is a great preamplifier?
The volume control is digital with 32 bit resolution. That far exceeds the resolution of even 24 bit audio. An analog pre-amp will add noise and distortion by definition. There is some argument that analog pre-amps may be better at lower volumes because they reduce noise and signal together. This DAC doesn't have any noise to worry about so that advantage is not there either.

I have used countless DACs with volume control and using them as is is my preference.

Bliman

The volume control is digital with 32 bit resolution. That far exceeds the resolution of ever 24 bit audio. An analog pre-amp will add noise and distortion by definition. There is some argument that analog pre-amps may be better at lower volumes because they reduce noise and signal together. This DAC doesn't have any noise to worry about so that advantage is not there either.

I have used countless DACs with volume control and using them as is is my preference.
Last thank you. I swear :)

Guillaume

Hi there,

I got additional information from Okto Research that clarifies the characteristics of DAC8 DSP :
Dear Guillaume,

all of the inputs on DAC8 DSP are going to be stereo only. I'm not sure if you also meant multichannel blu-ray playback - that would not be possible.

The NanoSHARC module we use is a black box to us, so we cannot integrate Dirac Live on it.

The inputs on DAC8 DSP are SPDIF, AES3, USB and optical.

Best regards,
Pavel

Thank you again Pavel for the reply.

Okto Research

Hello everyone,

a strange thing happened concerning the DAC8 DSP. Yesterday, I've noticed that MiniDSP announced shortage on NanoSHARC DSP modules on their website. The update is dated to 13/03/2019, yet the Google cache of the page from Sunday doesn't contain the announcement.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/nanosharc-kit
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...inidsp.com/products/minidspkits/nanosharc-kit

I wanted to first get it clear with MiniDSP as we have been in a friendly contact over the e-mail with their support before and we were about to order a batch of NanoSHARC modules from them. Before I did, they sent a message specifying that they don't have a timeline for the NanoSHARC module to become available again and asking to remove any mentions of MiniDSP from our website as it may "confuse the customers".

I've temporarily disabled the option to order DAC8 DSP in our e-shop until this is resolved. The existing DAC8 DSP orders will either be delivered if we manage to source NanoSHARC modules or refunded if we don't.

Update: We managed to secure enough NanoSHARC modules for all the existing orders. However, for now, we only take new orders for DAC8 DSP if you already own the NanoSHARC module and can send it to us.

Also, sorry to everyone whose e-mail we haven't responded to yet! We are getting through it.

Pavel

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Benchmark make what they claim to be the ‘ultimate’ preamp, the LA4, I have one here it does what is says, there is a headphone amp version too.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/preamplifiers
Keith

graz_lag

Major Contributor
@Okto Research ... and asking to remove any mentions of MiniDSP from our website as it may "confuse the customers" ...

Of course customers are going to be confused ... Unless you have an agreement ($$$) in place with MiniDSP for which you are entitled to mention their name/products/technologies in your product page descriptions ... ;)

Be careful, there are a lot of wolves out there ...

Bliman

Hello everyone,

a strange thing happened concerning the DAC8 DSP. Yesterday, I've noticed that MiniDSP announced shortage on NanoSHARC DSP modules on their website. The update is dated to 13/03/2019, yet the Google cache of the page from Sunday doesn't contain the announcement.
https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/nanosharc-kit
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...inidsp.com/products/minidspkits/nanosharc-kit

I wanted to first get it clear with MiniDSP as we have been in a friendly contact over the e-mail with their support before and we were about to order a batch of NanoSHARC modules from them. Before I did, they sent a message specifying that they don't have a timeline for the NanoSHARC module to become available again and asking to remove any mentions of MiniDSP from our website as it may "confuse the customers".

I've temporarily disabled the option to order DAC8 DSP in our e-shop until this is resolved. The existing DAC8 DSP orders will either be delivered if we manage to source NanoSHARC modules or refunded if we don't.

Also, sorry to everyone whose e-mail we haven't responded to yet! We are getting through it.

Pavel
I don't gonna lie I was very interested in the Dac DSP. But there always seems to be something wrong with these products (the topping tx3, the gustard x26 , this one).
I don't understand that you don't have a contract to use these minidsp products or use their name to promote your product.
Isn't that very unprofessional? I also want to know if this is a trustworthy brand?
You see all these brands spring up but then they die down pretty quick. That's why I would like to know how serious this brand is. What is the background of the team and such?
It worries me because the product is not out yet and there are already problems.
I have bought my set here http://www.link-audio.be/. And is you can see he is doing this for a very long time and I also know that he is in contact with the top speaker makers and their designs.
Here you have a very good review but very little information on their website.
This is sad because the product looks very nice but there is to little information.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't understand that you don't have a contract to use these minidsp products or use their name to promote your product.
Isn't that very unprofessional?
If they are just buying modules and shipping them, I don't think you need a contract. This is what the product page says on minidsp's website:

1553274041154.png

There is just a shopping cart. No mention of needing a contract.

And I am sure minidsp would benefit from mention of their kits being used elsewhere than not.

This just seems to be a stock situation and nothing else.

Bliman

If they are just buying modules and shipping them, I don't think you need a contract. This is what the product page says on minidsp's website:

View attachment 23956

There is just a shopping cart. No mention of needing a contract.

And I am sure minidsp would benefit from mention of their kits being used elsewhere than not.

This just seems to be a stock situation and nothing else.
Maybe what I am trying to say. Is how reliable and professional they are?
I want to know if they know what they are doing, or is it more a hobby? It is one thing to make a good product it is a whole different thing to have a good reliable brand.
That's why I am always between such brands like Rupert Neve or Grace Design and brands like this. With Grace Design you always know you are choosing something that you can rely on. If there would be something wrong you know you are covered if you have questions you are covered. But with products like this one. You don't know how solid it is, how reliable they are, how long they will go on. It could easily be that they fold in a couple of months and then you can have a very expensive coaster if there is something wrong.
It is very tempting because the measurements look incredible. But the information they have given is much to little imo. Because if I am correct then this product can do Room eq, is a very good preamplifier, is a very good dac, you can connect your smartphone and play your songs with the dac, you can also connect a harddrive to play your songs, etc... But it is hardly explained on the website.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe what I am trying to say. Is how reliable and professional they are?
It is a small company and all that comes with it.
That's why I am always between such brands like Rupert Neve or Grace Design and brands like this. With Grace Design you always know you are choosing something that you can rely on.
I have tested Grace products and they did not bother to join the discussion, nor send me any gear. Okto Research has done both. Okto clearly cares about what we say about their product. Grace does not. Between the two, I would do business with Okto.

Bliman

It is a small company and all that comes with it.

I have tested Grace products and they did not bother to join the discussion, nor send me any gear. Okto Research has done both. Okto clearly cares about what we say about their product. Grace does not. Between the two, I would do business with Okto.
Ok fair point. Grace Design has always been very correct with me. But yeah I would understand that Okto came here. Certainly because it is a small team and need all the attention it needs to make their product known. Grace Design is much larger and doesn't need that attention. I know you have been in contact with them. If they didn't answer you, then that would be a disapointment. To be honest I have fear to put money on an empty product. Because I have to be 100% certain that it is the real deal. Maybe I should mail them directly.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Top Bottom