• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ethernet and Wi-Fi (through Raspberry Pi 4)

Nice. So any of the Linux Distro's can be installed and maintained by the end user?

Is access to the Pi's SD card easy?

@amirm if/when you test this, can you measure on the ethernet input? I assume this will be a very popular input.

For example, load RoPieee OS for RoonBridge and you have a Roon networked DAC.

g29

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After months of hard work, we are here on the very end of the year to share what we have accomplished with our new product, the DAC8 Stereo!
View attachment 44160
Connectivity
View attachment 44161
We received many questions about a possibility of a a second optical input, so we decided to make it a last-minute addition. The full set of DAC8 Stereo inputs now is:
  • USB
  • 2x optical (TOSLINK)
  • 2x coaxial (SPDIF)
  • 1x AES/EBU (compatible with SPDIF voltage levels)
  • Ethernet and Wi-Fi (through Raspberry Pi 4)
The unit also features a trigger output (pulsed/continuous) to turn on your amplifier. Together with the auto on&off functions of the DAC8 Stereo, you don't need to worry about powering your gear anymore, just play the music and the magic happens.

Each of the DAC8 Stereo's analog outputs is available on 2 XLR connectors, which you may find useful for connecting a powered subwoofer or a second amplifier with a separate pair of speakers.

However, you will not find an unbalanced outputs on the product. We keep staying away from those since they are prone to hum and interference pickup due to using ground conductor as a signal path. To those who already didn't do so, we highly recommend switching to balanced analog connections that will save you a lot of headaches.

Analog performance

The PRO series Sabre DAC chips have 8 analog output channels. While the vast majority of D/A converters on the market have the chip's legs connected together, turning 8 channels into 2, which are then followed by an analog I/V stages, the DAC8 Stereo features a separate high-performance analog stage for each of the 8 outputs. Thanks to this approach, not only the noise of Sabre outputs, but also the noise of each of these stages gets averaged and reduced. The other benefits include reduced output impedance (to just 50 ohms), increased drive capability and increased noise immunity.

The DAC8 Stereo's outputs only have 1.2 microvolts of residual noise, which translates to a dynamic range of almost 131dB or 21.75 bits.

At the moment, we are unable to provide an exact SINAD number since it is beyond capabilities of the Rohde & Schwarz audio analyzer we use. However, it is well over 120dB and we hope it is going to make the AudioScienceReview's pink panther very very happy!

Mechanical design
View attachment 44162
As well as our other product, the 8-channel DAC8 PRO, the DAC8 Stereo comes in a solid enclosure made from AW6082 aluminium alloy. The products also share cooling with a heatsink directly mounted under the whole area of the DAC board that dissipates heat evenly to the enclosure.

Each 10mm (0.4") thick front panel starts its life as a part of a large and heavy sheet. After being laser-cut, it receives our signature, hand-made brushed finish. Then it is precisely CNC machined and anodized, while the last step is laser marking. All the production takes place locally, either in Prague or at our suppliers in nearby parts of Bohemia. The front plate is available in silver (natural anodized) or black (black anodized).

And yes, there is a new knob! In-house designed and made to fit the overall design of the product better than the off-the-shelf one we used before. Thanks to a new way of attachment, it provides a rock-solid feel without wobble.

Enjoy your End of Year celebrations!

Pavel, Okto Research

@Okto Research

2 Questions:

1) When can @amirm get one of EACH (DAC8 Pro and Stereo) of the production units for testing ?
2) What is the lead time now on new orders ?

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I would like to hear more subjective listening tests from you guys received the Dac8 Pro. Are you happy with it?

I also would like to buy a used Dac8 Pro if someone already wants to sell. I do not have the budget for a new one at the moment, unfortunately.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
@Okto Research are you planning to do a Pro8 dac with dsp later? I would be very interested. Especially if it had the dsp-horsepower to do FIR-filters for active 4-way speakers. I think that kind of product would sell really well.

Feyire

@Okto Research,
  1. How tall is the stereo unit with the Bluetooth antenna fully extended vertically?
  2. Will Volumio still be pre-installed on the Raspberry Pi 4?
    • Which model is the Pi: 1GB, 2GB or 4GB RAM?
    • What size is the SD card?
    • How does the Pi communicate with the DAC? Is it over I2S or USB or..?

Last edited:
H

Hifihedgehog

For a multichannel DAC that is well suited for home theater, is this considered the best out there objectively speaking (e.g. SINAD)?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
For a multichannel DAC that is well suited for home theater, is this considered the best out there objectively speaking (e.g. SINAD)?
How many other multichannel DACs have been similarly tested?

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
How many other multichannel DACs have been similarly tested?
Motu 8A and Ultralite Mk4, MiniDSP U-DAC8 for 8 channels, more if you drop to 6 or extrapolate from lower channel count models in the same family. I'm not sure they're all well suited to home theater though - as I understand it the licensing for higher quality standards prevents making the digital audio available on unprotected links, although I'd be happy to find otherwise.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Motu 8A and Ultralite Mk4, MiniDSP U-DAC8 for 8 channels, more if you drop to 6 or extrapolate from lower channel count models in the same family. I'm not sure they're all well suited to home theater though - as I understand it the licensing for higher quality standards prevents making the digital audio available on unprotected links, although I'd be happy to find otherwise.
Neither the Okto, the exaSound nor the others support HDMI anyway, afaik, so the issue of unprotected links is moot. You guys should find a way to get a Merging Anubis into play.

Neddy

Mine has shipped - Yay!!
The race is now on between fedex and me building a nice new 'home' for the DAC Pro....
PS. Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive (<$500 used or new) 8ch analog to AES converter (for the home theatre stuff)?
:p

chi2

Forum Donor
@Neddy Congrats! I'm still waiting for information on the availability of the Stereo version. (Sry, can't help with multichannel gear).

Neddy

ChrisPa

After months of hard work, we are here on the very end of the year to share what we have accomplished with our new product, the DAC8 Stereo!
View attachment 44160
Connectivity
View attachment 44161
We received many questions about a possibility of a a second optical input, so we decided to make it a last-minute addition. The full set of DAC8 Stereo inputs now is:
  • USB
  • 2x optical (TOSLINK)
  • 2x coaxial (SPDIF)
  • 1x AES/EBU (compatible with SPDIF voltage levels)
  • Ethernet and Wi-Fi (through Raspberry Pi 4)
The unit also features a trigger output (pulsed/continuous) to turn on your amplifier. Together with the auto on&off functions of the DAC8 Stereo, you don't need to worry about powering your gear anymore, just play the music and the magic happens.

Each of the DAC8 Stereo's analog outputs is available on 2 XLR connectors, which you may find useful for connecting a powered subwoofer or a second amplifier with a separate pair of speakers.

However, you will not find an unbalanced outputs on the product. We keep staying away from those since they are prone to hum and interference pickup due to using ground conductor as a signal path. To those who already didn't do so, we highly recommend switching to balanced analog connections that will save you a lot of headaches.

Analog performance

The PRO series Sabre DAC chips have 8 analog output channels. While the vast majority of D/A converters on the market have the chip's legs connected together, turning 8 channels into 2, which are then followed by an analog I/V stages, the DAC8 Stereo features a separate high-performance analog stage for each of the 8 outputs. Thanks to this approach, not only the noise of Sabre outputs, but also the noise of each of these stages gets averaged and reduced. The other benefits include reduced output impedance (to just 50 ohms), increased drive capability and increased noise immunity.

The DAC8 Stereo's outputs only have 1.2 microvolts of residual noise, which translates to a dynamic range of almost 131dB or 21.75 bits.

At the moment, we are unable to provide an exact SINAD number since it is beyond capabilities of the Rohde & Schwarz audio analyzer we use. However, it is well over 120dB and we hope it is going to make the AudioScienceReview's pink panther very very happy!

Mechanical design
View attachment 44162
As well as our other product, the 8-channel DAC8 PRO, the DAC8 Stereo comes in a solid enclosure made from AW6082 aluminium alloy. The products also share cooling with a heatsink directly mounted under the whole area of the DAC board that dissipates heat evenly to the enclosure.

Each 10mm (0.4") thick front panel starts its life as a part of a large and heavy sheet. After being laser-cut, it receives our signature, hand-made brushed finish. Then it is precisely CNC machined and anodized, while the last step is laser marking. All the production takes place locally, either in Prague or at our suppliers in nearby parts of Bohemia. The front plate is available in silver (natural anodized) or black (black anodized).

And yes, there is a new knob! In-house designed and made to fit the overall design of the product better than the off-the-shelf one we used before. Thanks to a new way of attachment, it provides a rock-solid feel without wobble.

Enjoy your End of Year celebrations!

Pavel, Okto Research
@Okto Research
The overall spec and price point looks superb.
And the design looks finalised with a wonderful array of digital inputs, something lacking from most other DACs...
... don't suppose there's any chance of a digital pass-through output?:facepalm:

Top Bottom