• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

GeorgeWalk

I agree with Berwhale. I have a couple of different DACs. I can't hear any difference between them. We are in another golden age of audio. You don't have to spend a ton of money for quality sound. USB, optical, and BT sound the same to me (great).

I chose the D50s because it had the features I wanted, sounded great, it was within my price range, and measured well (in that order). Buy the DAC that is in your price with the features you want; relax listening to great music you enjoy and relishing the thought that you made a fantastic choice.

Halla

Hello,

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude towards to ASR and amirm for such complete review and discussion. I recently received my D50s and have been greatly impressed by the build quality. This little box has some real weight to it. Nevertheless, I have one question about connecting the unit to my pc.

Supplied usb cables are quite short and I can‘t reach my computer with them. So, I connected both the usb and the usb power cable to a wall powered TP-Link usb hub, which is connected to the desktop. Is it safe to operate the unit this way? Or should I change the cables for longer ones? I read in this thread that some users are using cellphone charger to power the unit. So, I’m just wondering if I have connected this device properly or should I make changes? My apologies if this question has been answered before.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When it functions properly and don't hear hum or other sounds that aren't supposed to be there you can use it this way.
In any case the computer and audio path are not plagued by common mode noise from the computer power supply.

eKayze

I don't think you will be able to hear any difference in a truly objective blind test.

ahh I see. I was hoping you’d say otherwise lol. My only issue with my current setup is hissing when using my IEM

Kane1972

Can anyone sum up which measures better the D50s or SU-8 V2? These two along with the M300 are about the price I'm wanting to pay. XLR would be nice, but not a deal breaker right now.

Kane1972

Is a linea PSU required for the D50s to get the best out of it? If so, any recommended ones (for UK) that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Does the D50s come with a "standard" PSU and is that preferable to running off of USB power from a Macbook Pro?

Thanks

Dogway

I was disappointed to find out it can't emit bluetooth signal. What is the approach to make it work with a Bluetooth transmitter? If I connect both to the PC do I have to manually turn off the DAC so it doesn't sound on my speakers at the same time? Any driver conflict?

Dogway

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks a lot. SMSL still try to sell you one though! hehe
Yeah it will improve sound at switching frequencies, ultrasonics which no one can hear. Perhaps this results in some really marginal THD increase.
But truly nothing audible.

Veri

Master Contributor
I read otherwise, personally I won't use any less than a power bank for clean power supply.
Sigh. Amir did three LPS tests with three times zero audible benefit. This is actually verifiable and repeatable. An actual test.

But yeah let's go with the audiophile-length subjective review as truth. Really in the spirit of audio science :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was disappointed to find out it can't emit bluetooth signal. What is the approach to make it work with a Bluetooth transmitter? If I connect both to the PC do I have to manually turn off the DAC so it doesn't sound on my speakers at the same time? Any driver conflict?

You don't need a standalone DAC to send audio from your PC via bluetooth to headphones (because the DAC is in the headphones). Just plug the Bluetooth transmitter into the PC.

If you have a BT transmitter and a DAC connected to your PC; both the DAC and the BT headphones will show up as audio output devices, you just pick which one you want to output from within Windows.

Dogway

I know it was more for convenience to save up 50 more bucks and control it through the remote. I guess I can mute the DAC through the remote. The other issue is transmitters usually use a SPDIF input connection so it introduces jitter compared to USB, specially with a crappy PC sound chip.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it was more for convenience to save up 50 more bucks and control it through the remote. I guess I can mute the DAC through the remote. The other issue is transmitters usually use a SPDIF input connection so it introduces jitter compared to USB, specially with a crappy PC sound chip.

USB Bluetooth transmitter...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphone-Controller/dp/B01LX6HISL

If you want codecs other than SBC, like AptX HD they get more expensive...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphones-Broadcast-Black/dp/B07W5DDZQN

Top Bottom