• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My understanding is...
A digital volume control has the effect of lowering the dynamic range of the DAC. Since the noise floor remains the same, the signal to noise ratio is decreased when the volume is lowered.
So would you run the DAC at -1 dB (just to avoid any possible issue with 0 dB) and use the amp's volume control, or something else?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So would you run the DAC at -1 dB (just to avoid any possible issue with 0 dB) and use the amp's volume control, or something else?

0dB is maximum volume, so maximum dynamic range, so there shouldn't be any issues with it? in any case, from what i've read, there really shouldn't be any audible difference between using the volume on the D50s vs the volume on the Atom. I realise that there is the potential for channel imbalance with Atom at low volumes, but with my headphones and at my listening volume, I can't hear this either. Since I have to turn the volume knob on the Atom to turn it on, it's much easier to stick to this control and leave the D50s at max (the volume control 'joystick' on the d50s is also a bit fiddly to use).

There's an explanation of the impact of digital volume control here: https://www.soundstageultra.com/ind...311-what-s-wrong-with-digital-volume-controls

TL;DR...

Bottom line

From a theoretical standpoint, a well-implemented analog volume control on the output of a DAC will provide superior performance. However, when a DAC chip has sufficiently low self-noise, the digital volume control will lag only slightly behind. When considering the performance of the system as a whole under normal listening conditions, any differences may not actually be audible. And for those who wish the highest-fidelity signal path -- i.e., the one that least alters the signal between source and loudspeakers -- a traditional preamplifier should be avoided unless it is of extraordinary quality.

ozz

Is the display on at all times or it blacks out after some time automatically ? Or can it be blacked out with the remote ?

GeorgeWalk

Is the display on at all times or it blacks out after some time automatically ? Or can it be blacked out with the remote ?
I have mine set to automatically turn off. As soon as you touch any button on the device or remote it turns on.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Modi 3 or this?
This for sure. They're not even comparable, especially when it comes to the features; screen, remote, bluetooth etc.

Reactions: Tks

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
I can't say. I didn't own them at the same time, so I couldn't do a side by side comparison. I wanted something that had a remote and Bluetooth.
The remote, screen, and Bluetooth make this a great device imo I can't image owning a DAC that doesn't have those features. Topping has really taken the market head on with the audio quality and those features putting them out in front.

Last edited:

ozz

I just noticed that Drop.com has the D50s for $185. I paid $200. Go to Apos and they will match the price and you will get it faster than Drop.
https://drop.com/buy/topping-d50s-dac

Apos doesn't seem to ship outside of the US. That is a great deal on Drop but holy fk, what is happening there ? https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.massdrop.com Look at those reviews, I never seen so many 1 stars in my life for anything. Is Drop really that scammy ? Is it better to order from aliexpress/shenzenaudio? Does Drop even have warranty for the D50s ? The terms says if the product page doesn't list the warranty, it has a 30 day return warranty only.

Snafu

I got my D50 and D50s from https://shenzhenaudio.com/ , same day shipping and helpful customer service if You need something.
Warranty is one year i think (You can move it to next owner if You sell it).

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

chauct

Question for those who have used the digital volume control on the D50s: any discernible sound degradation? I'm planning to feed this into an amp that does not a volume control.

GeorgeWalk

Question for those who have used the digital volume control on the D50s: any discernible sound degradation? I'm planning to feed this into an amp that does not a volume control.

I haven't noticed any. I have tested it with JDS Labs Atom, JDS O2, and gone direct into my Parasound 275 V2 and vintage Nikko Alpha III . As far as I am concerned, it was one the cleanest, best sounding pieces of audio gear I have ever owned.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

No problem at all. Sounds great.

Top Bottom