• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New Topping D50s DAC

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Feilong4

Does anyone or did anyone have both the D50 and D50S? I just received a D50S to replace my D50 (as I wanted bluetooth and the remote) but the screen is of noticeably less quality on my D50S unit. Like I can see the glow around the "board" where the numbers and letters are (not sure what the correct term is). The brightness is also quite a bit dimmer with both on "auto".

I haven't read much of the thread but I'm wondering if others have this problem. If anyone's D50S doesn't have this problem, I'd like to know so I could send them in to be replaced.

1 - 9izjJbw.jpg2 - Xhh3U7G.jpg
4 - KvAC2RL.jpg3 - WaJNCrM.jpg

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an OLED screen and the polymers used in these screens have a finite life and wear out. Lowering the brightness extends the life of polymers and makes the screen less likely to suffer burn in (i.e. some pixels being more worn out than others and retaining an image). I have my D50s display set to turn off automatically for this reason. I also suspect that the D50s has had the brightness to turned down to avoid the incidence of burn-in and customer returns.

Feilong4

It's an OLED screen and the polymers used in these screens have a finite life and wear out. Lowering the brightness extends the life of polymers and makes the screen less likely to suffer burn in (i.e. some pixels being more worn out than others and retaining an image). I have my D50s display set to turn off automatically for this reason. I also suspect that the D50s has had the brightness to turned down to avoid the incidence of burn-in and customer returns.

Actually, I just saw someone's picture in an Amazon review and the D50S does have that sort of glowing along the edges of the panel. The display on my D50 unit just looks much better without that glowing.

A shame about the brightness. It just doesn't look quite right to me with the display being so dim - I mean, I have it on "auto" so it's off most of the time but still.

Toku

Major Contributor
Does anyone or did anyone have both the D50 and D50S? I just received a D50S to replace my D50 (as I wanted bluetooth and the remote) but the screen is of noticeably less quality on my D50S unit. Like I can see the glow around the "board" where the numbers and letters are (not sure what the correct term is). The brightness is also quite a bit dimmer with both on "auto".

I haven't read much of the thread but I'm wondering if others have this problem. If anyone's D50S doesn't have this problem, I'd like to know so I could send them in to be replaced.

View attachment 39852View attachment 39853
View attachment 39855View attachment 39854
Certainly, the D50s has changed from the white color of the D50 to the blue OLED display, and the visibility has deteriorated.
Moreover, screen burn-in failures are more likely to occur.
So I'm using the lowest brightness setting.

HARMAN

i all
can the d50s work as preamplifier , and countrl integrated amplifier ?(conectet via rca )
how it compare to dac like pioneer na50 or marantz n6006 or yamha wxc50
In relation to the sound quality in an analog connection only
thanks shay

BubbaJay

I ordered the D50s because of the Bluetooth capabilities but I'm wondering how it will compare to my beloved JDS Labs EL Dac. I know the D50s measures better in most places than the EL Dac but that thing sounds great with my SMSL SP200 THX AAA amp so I'm hoping the D50s sounds as good but I feel like it might just sound better which will be amazing. My Aiva and LCD-2C already sound great but if the D50s can pull even a tiny bit more SQ out of them then the $250 I spent will be more than far.

Last edited:

shimosk

I ordered a D50s and wanted to know if it will pair nicely with a Marantz PM8006. Thanks to anyone who can answer me.

shimosk

The D50s has a line level output and the PM8006 has line level inputs. What is your concern? What they might look like together?
Yes!
I’m new to this and don’t know if some DACs are only for headphone usage or if all DACs can be used with integrated amplifiers and speakers.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes!
I’m new to this and don’t know if some DACs are only for headphone usage or if all DACs can be used with integrated amplifiers and speakers.

OK, In general, any consumer equipment with a line level output can be plugged into any consumer equipment with a line level input.

carloshacecosas

I'm thinking on buying the Topping D50s for my TV setup, so I can also use Bluetooth to cast music to the speakers without having to turn on the TV, go to Spotify, etc.

Currently I have two JBL LSR305 connected directly to the 3.5mm output of my LG C7, and with the DAC I'd be going optical now, anything I should know? I mainly use the TV to watch Blu-Ray 4K remuxes through the Apple TV, would using optical be an issue with the True-HD/DTS Master-Audio audios usually found on those?

BubbaJay

I've had the D50s for a few days now and I really like it a lot. I don't know if it's better than my EL Dac because you always like your new stuff but it does sound really good and pairs wonderfully with my SMSL SP200 amp. I'm listening to my Elear which is the first time in months and they sound better than I remember that's for sure. The Bluetooth capabilities are nice but you can obviously hear a difference between that and wired but it's not as far off as I was expecting so I have used it a few times. All in all very happy with this dac and would easily recommend it to someone looking for a well-priced dac that sounds great and can do it all.

shimosk

Im using a dragonfly RED connected to a Marantz PM8006. Will I notice any differences using the Topping D50s? Ive already ordered it.

Top Bottom