• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

caguilar91

This is a review and detailed measurements of JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amplifier. It was kindly sent on loan by JDS Labs in advance of its formal announcement and availability this week. It retails for USD $99. As such, I will be comparing its performance to other $99 amplifiers such as Schiit Magni 3 and Monoprice Liquid Spark.

The Atom is a nice departure from the JDS O2 in having proper RCA connectors in the back and 1/4 headphone jack in front (and 3.5mm in the back):

View attachment 17607

The enclosure is plastic and lightweight but is stable enough to not move around with the weight of cables.

As you see in the comparison above, it is about 10% wider and deeper than O2. The volume control feels slightly less good than the O2 with the latter having more of a "hydraulic" feel.

There is not much else to say about it so let's get into the measurements and see how she does.

Measurements
I started my measurements with a dashboard view of unity gain with 2 volts in, and nearly 2 volts out:

View attachment 17608

Are you seeing what I am seeing? SINAD of 114 dB??? In a $99 device? Are you kidding me? Running the same test on Monoprice Liquid Spark struggled to get to 100 dB. This is a good 15 dB better performance.

With our best case hearing dynamic range of 116 dB, this is provably audibly transparent.

At lower output levels of say 1 volt (not shown), the distortion goes so far down that the mains spike at 60 Hz dominates. Since our hearing sensitivity there is some 50 dB higher, this device becomes essentially distortionless.

This is in low gain by the way. High gain was not quite as good.

Since some of you have been asking, I also added the phase information. As we see, the differential of 0.003 degree means there is nothing there to worry about.

Signal to noise ratio is likewise exceptional:
View attachment 17609

123 dB in high gain! Wow.

Yes, this is Massdrop THX AAA 789 territory. And no, the Atom does not use THX technology:

View attachment 17610

Output impedance is comfortably low at 0.7 ohm:
View attachment 17611

Frequency response is dead flat to 40 kHz:
View attachment 17612

Let's see how much power there is compared to Monoprice Liquid Spark and Schiit Magni 3. Note that I have refined these tests and used better setup to get the best performance (Monoprice performance improved but not Schiit Magni 3 compared to my previous review):

View attachment 17613

We get 250 milliwatts of power with essentially no distortion or clipping. At max power, distortion is incredibly low 0.0005% (SINAD 106 db). This is an order of magnitude better than Schiiit Magni 3. And is more power than Liquid Spark manages.

Switching to 33 ohm load we get:
View attachment 17614

Similar picture emerges. We have slightly less power output but much, much lower distortion and noise. You get one full watt of power at just 0.0009% distortion. Incredible.

Here is the intermodulation distortion versus level:
View attachment 17615

Finally, here is the channel imbalance versus volume position:

View attachment 17616

Worst case error occurs as usual close to the end of the range. The above is in high gain mode. Switching to low gain should reduce the impact here.

Listening Tests
There was no shortage of power driving my Sennheiser HD-650s. Comfortable level as 11:00 to 12:00 o'clock. As shown in measurements, there is no rise in distortion up to max volume at 5:00 at which time, you are hearing thundering bass and control of the drivers.

Switching to Hifiman HE-400i was the same, resulting in some of the cleanest, best bass I have heard on these headphones.

Playing my audiophile track list brings joy and satisfaction with every detail audible. It is so nice to be free of amplification distortion even during the loudest segments.

Channel imbalance was only audible with my headphones at almost zero volume level.

Conclusions
We have arrived at the golden age of headphone amplification folks. What JDS Labs Atom delivers for just $99 is astonishing. Performance is without fault. Plenty of power is available for even high impedance headphones like Sennheiser HD-650. We are talking clean, clean, power.

During this testing I asked John from JDS Labs how he had achieved this level of performance. His answer: "just many prototypes and lessons learned throughout the year." In other words, good engineering. Use a closed loop measurement system as JDS does and you are golden as we see here.

Official announcement of product is tomorrow (11/15). Shipment is shortly after (not sure if I have permission to say when).

Needless to say, JDS Labs Atom gets one of my highest recommendations. Given their excellent support, activity in forums, and bargain $99 price, every audiophile with a headphone needs to get one of these.

As always, all questions, comments and criticism is welcome.

-----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds for these types of hardware purchases using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).
Do you think the best combo for this Amp might be with the Topping D50 (even though it's 2x plus its price) for an unbalanced, almost perfect amplification and converter? Maybe you have them both around to see how good it looks stacked if you have the time! :D Also would be pretty cool to know the combined SINAD at least if possible! :p

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you have them both around to see how good it looks stacked if you have the time! :D Also would be pretty cool to know the combined SINAD at least if possible! :p

I have the D50 and if Fedex is correct my Atom will be here Friday....so if Amir does not post photos I can do that, and comment on their synergy....although as I believe DACS of this caliber are audibly perfect, the synergy will focus more on control synergy and FADR (fingerprint and dust rejection ;).

I also have an HE560 as mentioned in the previous post and will comment on that, although Amir's measurements indicate it should put 3/4W into them which should be sufficient. I no longer have young ears so my report on that is worth what it costs.

Headphonaholic

I have the D50 and if Fedex is correct my Atom will be here Friday....so if Amir does not post photos I can do that, and comment on their synergy....although as I believe DACS of this caliber are audibly perfect, the synergy will focus more on control synergy and FADR (fingerprint and dust rejection ;).

I also have an HE560 as mentioned in the previous post and will comment on that, although Amir's measurements indicate it should put 3/4W into them which should be sufficient. I no longer have young ears so my report on that is worth what it costs.
I too have a Topping D50 and will be getting the Atom next week (jealous of you haha). I also have a pair of he560 v2's arriving next week that I can use test these claims that the power will be lacking. Oh and my Massdrop Thx amp arrived today so that should be fun :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do you think the best combo for this Amp might be with the Topping D50 (even though it's 2x plus its price) for an unbalanced, almost perfect amplification and converter? Maybe you have them both around to see how good it looks stacked if you have the time!
I stacked them and you would think they are almost made by the same company!

JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amplifier and Topping D50 DAC.jpg

The blue halo around the display on D50 is due to lateral chromatic aberration from my macro lens (shot wide open) and not there in real unit.

Of course the D50 is quite a bit more substantial than the Atom, being made from metal and such. But visually they match quite well.

helloworld

Any news if JDS will make a balanced design of this atom amplifier? Hopefully it will come with xlr in and xlr out with a metal case.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI I just measured the above stack. Topping D50 by itself produces average SINAD of 109. When routed through Atom at the same output level, you lose a few dB to 106.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any news if JDS will make a balanced design of this atom amplifier? Hopefully it will come with xlr in and xlr out with a metal case.
I don't know but seems out of character for them to bring out such a configuration. Their specialty is these lower cost, unbalanced input products (where the largest market is).

maxxevv

Major Contributor

The blue halo around the display on D50 is due to lateral chromatic aberration from my macro lens (shot wide open) and not there in real unit.

Of course the D50 is quite a bit more substantial than the Atom, being made from metal and such. But visually they match quite well.

Looks very good, very compact. And best part, the combined costs for something of such a performance level !

I'm sure a lot of people would consider put a pair of these at their office desk considering the minimal outlay and how little desktop space they will take !

caguilar91

They look exceptionally well! And better still, this combo is starting to look to be the best lower cost alternative for great audio. Many thanks for taking the time to stack, photograph and test them! :D

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DX3Pro or D50 into Atom?

Tatteredmidnight

DX3Pro or D50 into Atom?

Tough call. On the DAC side, it seems the choice is between the higher noise floor of the AKM DACs and some distortion at higher output levels with the D3. On the other hand you avoid the IMD hump present in the D50. Amazingly, the DX3 seems to be the more affordable unit, and has a significant advantage when it comes to the feature set. The addition of a very high performance headphone amp, extra coaxial input, and Bluetooth connectivity could add significant value depending in your use case.

I nearly pulled the trigger on the DX3, but I already have a a very competent DAC (SMSL M8), and I was really looking for good headphone amp with ample power and low output impedance. That made the choice easy: keep using the M8 and add an Atom.

For my money, if I didn't have a DAC already, I would go with the DX3 pro and just skip a dedicated headphone amp altogether (unless I really needed the extra power)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tough call. On the DAC side, it seems the choice is between the higher noise floor of the AKM DACs and some distortion at higher output levels with the D3.

The AKM chip is not responsible for the DX3’s higher noise floor. There are numerous DACs using that class of AKM chip that don’t suffer from the same “problem”.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
FYI I just measured the above stack. Topping D50 by itself produces average SINAD of 109. When routed through Atom at the same output level, you lose a few dB to 106.
Could you do the same test for the THX AAA 789 being driven by the D50? Would appreciate it a lot :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Tatteredmidnight

The AKM chip is not responsible for the DX3’s higher noise floor. There are numerous DACs using that class of AKM chip that don’t suffer from the same “problem”.

Either way, I don't believe the difference is audible. Correlation doesn't equal causation, so I will cede this to you. At this price point, the ESS based devices seem to have a lower absolute noise floor, while suffering from a hump in the IMD charts. Not a condemnation of AKM, just what I've seen from Amir's reviews. We are in a bit of a golden age for low price audio gear, with many differences receding to inaudible levels.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can we expect the EL Amp to measure similar or better to the Atom?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either way, I don't believe the difference is audible. Correlation doesn't equal causation, so I will cede this to you. At this price point, the ESS based devices seem to have a lower absolute noise floor, while suffering from a hump in the IMD charts. Not a condemnation of AKM, just what I've seen from Amir's reviews. We are in a bit of a golden age for low price audio gear, with many differences receding to inaudible levels.

I don’t even see the correlation though. There aren’t as many AKM44xx based DACs on the market, but of those I’ve seen measurements of, some are noisy and others are not.

Otherwise I agree. None of the issues we’re discussing will be audible in the slightest.

derp1n

Can we expect the EL Amp to measure similar or better to the Atom?
It's the amp portion of the Element, so it'll measure like that. More power than the Atom, but not quite as clean at similar levels.

Top Bottom