• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

I have the same experience connecting element X (line out mode 0db fixed) directly to my amp. Lifeless, boring, flat, no bass, thin sounding and I feel like listening to a megaphone. But when I use a pre amp (ifi pro ican) in between the element x and my amp,.. everything changed. Very musical, detailed and bass is present even if I set the Xbass feature of ifi pro ican to OFF. The same experience when using the headphone out of element X and ifi pro ican. What causes this sorcery?
Hi Kesi,
That's strange because if you were using the line out mode (0db fixed), then you were bypassing the volume control of the DAC and you were using the built-in preamp of you integrated amplifier to adjust the volume.
Could you please tell us what is your amplifier?

I wonder how soon they will fix the dsd (*.dsf files) playback. It is pretty much unusable as it is now.

Matrix Element X (firmware B81801, MA Remote 2.2.6, Android 9.0), files on the memory card. Plays a track and stops, that is, does not play all tracks on the album. This problem will soon be a year old. Before the B51501 firmware everything was great!

Last edited:

chi2

Forum Donor
Streaming Tidal over wifi seems to be much more stable since the firmware and MA remote app update. No glitch or interruption during 90 minutes. Never have experienced that before.

Matrix Element X (firmware B81801, MA Remote 2.2.6, Android 9.0), files on the memory card. Plays a track and stops, that is, does not play all tracks on the album. This problem will soon be a year old. Before the B51501 firmware everything was great!
Mine loosing connection whenever I am 'ready' to use it, and so the upgrade was pretty useless. Casting via dlna is better, in fact the only way it can be used as it is now.

raykkho

Forum Donor
I'm using the Matrix Element X with Roon, works really well.
This is my experience as well. I guess we are lucky using Roon as the interface?

New app and FW update much better and basically effortless this time, compare to the last time.

Archsam

Just got the latest firmware and app update, also find them to work much smoother than previous versions. Quite happy so far.

Top Bottom