• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

somy

The problem with the play function when streaming Tidal content using the MA Remote app has been reported repeatedly since (at least) spring 2020 by different users in this and the other Matrix Audio thread. When choosing any title in an album or a playlist directly, the MA remote plays that title and then just stops. Switching to the next title (in the album or the playlist) by pressing the forward button doesn't work either.

The only way to have that fundamental functionality is to start with choosing play all, which will make the MA Remote app start with the first title, and then to select the title you actually wanted to start with. This seemed to work for me when I tried it the last time. Due to this being awkward, I preferred using the Tidal app on a tablet or smartphone connected to the MA Element X by usb or wirelessly to a chromecast audio attached to the X's optical in.
The problem with the play function when streaming Tidal content using the MA Remote app has been reported repeatedly since (at least) spring 2020 by different users in this and the other Matrix Audio thread. When choosing any title in an album or a playlist directly, the MA remote plays that title and then just stops. Switching to the next title (in the album or the playlist) by pressing the forward button doesn't work either.
I know that, but now even I play all from any playlist it stops after playing the first song. Have you upgraded the firmware
The only way to have that fundamental functionality is to start with choosing play all, which will make the MA Remote app start with the first title, and then to select the title you actually wanted to start with. This seemed to work for me when I tried it the last time. Due to this being awkward, I preferred using the Tidal app on a tablet or smartphone connected to the MA Element X by usb or wirelessly to a chromecast audio attached to the X's optical in.
Hi,
I know this issue, but I have a either even bigger problem now. I can’t even play all from any playlist, It stops after the first song.

somy

Wow. Didn't experience that problem with the last update. At least not under Android. Are you using the Android or iOS version of MA remote?
I use iOS, when I play all album with 14 songs, I notice it adds 16, so something must be wrong with play queue management in my case.

somy

It’s completely useless now - I tried reinstall the app, restart the device, switch between lan/WiFi without luck. I expected something works out of box for the premium price, but to be honest I spent more time on fixing issues than actually listen to music. Super angry with the product!

chi2

Forum Donor
Very sorry to hear that. I also have problems with both, the Android and the iOS version of the app. But not as bad as those you describe. Under Android the Tidal playlists no longer seem to work. Unexpectedly, under iOS they are fine - with the exception of the described bug of no automatic title change.

somy

Very sorry to hear that. I also have problems with both, the Android and the iOS version of the app. But not as bad as those you describe. Under Android the Tidal playlists no longer seem to work. Unexpectedly, under iOS they are fine - with the exception of the described bug of no automatic title change.
Hi, do you mind to help me with some tests with your device (assume you use iOS and have Tidal subscription)?
Can you go to Genre/Pop and scroll down to any playlist, and then clear and play all. After the tracks are added to the queue, can you help to check:
1) If the order is the same as in the playlist?
2) The number of songs matches the number of songs in playlist?

In my case neither the order nor the number of songs matches the playlist - it is a problem with all playlists.
Looks like it sort the songs based on name.

chi2

Forum Donor
Just realized that the iOS version is instable and buggy, too. The only real improvement seems to be with the stability of the wifi connection. Still, given all these instabilities and bugs I'll go back to using the Element X as a DAC only without its - theoretical - streaming capability. The MA Remote software developers don't seem to know what they are doing. And software related quality control by MA is abysmal.

chi2

Forum Donor
Hi, do you mind to help me with some tests with your device (assume you use iOS and have Tidal subscription)?
Can you go to Genre/Pop and scroll down to any playlist, and then clear and play all. After the tracks are added to the queue, can you help to check:
1) If the order is the same as in the playlist?
2) The number of songs matches the number of songs in playlist?

In my case neither the order nor the number of songs matches the playlist - it is a problem with all playlists.
Looks like it sort the songs based on name.

Same problem here: The tracks in the queue don't match those in the playlist, neither regarding number nor order.
At least the iOS version plays any track at all. The Android version does not.

somy

Same problem here: The tracks in the queue don't match those in the playlist, neither regarding number nor order.
At least the iOS version plays any track at all. The Android version does not.
Ok, thanks! This is a problem since the old version which I have reported several times. Anyways, if you let the playlist to play (don't ff just play), does it eventually stop at some point? In my case it stops after 1st or 2nd song.

somy

Streaming Tidal over wifi seems to be much more stable since the firmware and MA remote app update. No glitch or interruption during 90 minutes. Never have experienced that before.
By the way, did you check the stream quality? I noticed when re-login it reset the quality to NORMAL which might uses less bandwidth.

chi2

Forum Donor
Ok, thanks! This is a problem since the old version which I have reported several times. Anyways, if you let the playlist to play (don't ff just play), does it eventually stop at some point? In my case it stops after 1st or 2nd song.

Didn't try that yet due to being too p*****. The queue is on the fifth track and no stopping so far. But the queue is in alphabetical order oversteering the custom order of the playlist.

somy

Didn't try that yet due to being too p*****. The queue is on the fifth track and no stopping so far. But the queue is in alphabetical order oversteering the custom order of the playlist.
Ok, thanks. Not sure why mine stops when playing a list......
Notice MA devices is not listed under Tidal supported devices page, not sure what it means though.
https://tidal.com/supported-devices

somy

Just made a video to illustrate the problems:

1) The Tidal playlist has 55 tracks, when adding the the queue it becomes 58 tracks
2) The order of tracks are totally screwed up
3) It stops playing after 1st song and makes some random skips (looks like)

Edit: just want to add (1) and (3) is also broken with albums - so basically not useable for anything with Tidal

Aibek

Do you also experience problem with the track order/number when added from playlist to play queue?
No, I listen from a microSD card or portable SSD. But my album is not played in its entirety. Plays the first track and stops. As in your video.

Kesi

I use USB for my offline listening, the tracks inside each album has duplicates. If I have 10 tracks on an album, MA Remote will show 20 tracks. Every-time Matrix audio releases software update to fix minor issues, they introduce major issues to us end user. We don’t need a chatmate on the customer support page, we need a stable and functioning MA Remote. They should sack their software developer, it’s been 1 year now since I bought this expensive piece of equipment but frustration steps in when I use the MA Remote.

chi2

Forum Donor
MA has just released a bugfix for the iOS version of their MA Remote app. Don't know yet if it really solves the playlist issues (wrong number of tracks, sorting).

somy

MA has just released a bugfix for the iOS version of their MA Remote app. Don't know yet if it really solves the playlist issues (wrong number of tracks, sorting).
Thanks just tried some tidal playlists/albums looks like they fixed the duplicate so the numbers match now. However the order is still wrong
Edit: Just to add another annoying issue: for artist in Tidal the popular tracks only show 10 - basically I can only see top 10 tracks for any artists.

Last edited:
Top Bottom