• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Matrix Audio Element X DAC/Streamer/Amp

F1308

Major Contributor
So , nobody there performing any checks so as to grant the advertised performance...?

neukrisz

Audio Company
So , nobody there performing any checks so as to grant the advertised performance...?
Is this just your rhetorical question? Am I right? :rolleyes:

On the other hand - after I opened the unit I have to say that the build quality is excellent (mechanically and electronically too) :cool:
@MA Guys!
Let's make better firmware to us! ;)

(without MQA playback glitches - and opportunity to reach Gigabit connection over Ethernet if the used SoC does already supports that...)

Last edited:

somy

Is this just your rhetorical question? Am I right? :rolleyes:

On the other hand - after I opened the unit I have to say that the build quality is excellent (mechanically and electronically too) :cool:
@MA Guys!
Let's make better firmware to us! ;)

(without MQA playback glitches - and opportunity to reach Gigabit connection over Ethernet if the used SoC does already supports that...)
What mqa glitch do you experience? Mqa seems to work well for me.

neukrisz

Audio Company
I made a short testing with the AC WiFi card and I can report that the syncing with my shared SMB folder on the NAS is much faster. Additionally as I feel the operating response time has been improved a bit.
Unfortunately the poping up MQA/PCM logo and glitches at starting these files still is a problem (sometime from Tidal too). So this is not caused by the speed of the network connection.

somy

Maybe I can describe that wrongly - I'll make a short video about it...
I’m thinking a post to summarise all software issues in one place. I certainly have a few:
  • Local cover art not working
  • Problem with multi-disc albums - disc number missing and track number incorrect
  • ID3 tag with multiple values are not well supported.
  • Play all from Artist in Tidal doesn’t work
  • Switching tracks in Tidal sometime cause delay up to minutes
  • tracks with long title not displayed with all text
  • No way to play from middle of the play list
  • When adjust volume on my iPhone, it attempts to change volume on the device even though the app is not focused (in background)
  • Speed test shows NaN
I think the layout could also be optimised for streaming providers, for example “collection” should be the default view etc.
Overall I’m satisfied with SQ which is probably most important.

Last edited:

neukrisz

Audio Company
This is one of my problems:
I had same issue before with the original WiFi card too: Video
I thought the faster card will solve this problem :( I was wrong...

I have now very strong 867Mbps connection between the Asus AC86U Router and the Element X, but there are interruptions (drop off) during playback.
(the distance is no more than 4 meters without any physical barriers)
Other devices with same environment can streams 4K HDR videos easily over WiFi without any problems. (the continuous and stable speed of copy between the NAS and my laptop is around 75MB/s over WiFi (which is 600Mbps))
I think something is wrong with the Wireless part of this unit... Maybe the buffering size of WiFi is wrongly set. :(
Same playback over the Ethernet is OK!

Last edited:

neukrisz

Audio Company
...For the issue you mentioned, can you specify?

MA Remote (iPad) Playback problem :
Video : Jumping issue
The phenomenon is absolutely same from my iPhone too. Doesn't matter if the source is Tidal or SMB share and over LAN or WiFi. The version of MA Remote app is the latest available.
Could someone else confirm same thing on his system?

Last edited:

somy

This is one of my problems:
I had same issue before with the original WiFi card too: Video
I thought the faster card will solve this problem :( I was wrong...

I have now very strong 867Mbps connection between the Asus AC86U Router and the Element X, but there are interruptions (drop off) during playback.
Other devices with same environment can streams 4K HDR videos easily over WiFi without any problems. (the continuous and stable speed of copy between the NAS and my laptop is around 75MB/s over WiFi (which is 600Mbps))
I think something is wrong with the Wireless part of this unit... Maybe the buffering size of WiFi is wrongly set. :(
Same playback over the Ethernet is OK!
Did you experience the same with the original WiFi card?

somy

Yes. It was the same. That's why I wanted to reach higher speed connection.
When I use WiFi local music on my NAS plays fine without drops, but I only have alac and dsd64/128.
However with WiFi tidal drops off quite frequently, at least 10 times per song.

chi2

Forum Donor

This is bad news. I had hoped that the higher wifi throughput would solve the drop-off issues with streaming high-res material. Looks like there are problems with decoding that have to be addressed in the software.

For a 3000 $ product I would certainly expect dedication not only to hardware design and build quality but also to software development.

With the current firmware and iOS app the Element X is an excellent dac but as the high quality wireless streaming solution that it is being advertised, it has unexpected and IMO not tolerable flaws and shortcomings.

Last edited:

somy

Yes agree there are simply many small issues and inconveniences in the app and firmware. I think lack of competition is part of the reason. There are not much better options for streamer which doesn’t cost 2 times more (take lumin for example). After all the product is for people who don’t want to bother with rpi based solutions, and hence the usability needs to be at least comparable to Volumio etc. given the higher price tag.
BTW I have complained the WiFi card issue to Matrix support, will update when I hear from them. I think the HW mistake is less forgivable.

chi2

Forum Donor
I’m thinking a post to summarise all software issues in one place. I certainly have a few:
  • Local cover art not working
  • Problem with multi-disc albums - disc number missing and track number incorrect
  • ID3 tag with multiple values are not well supported.
  • Play all from Artist in Tidal doesn’t work
  • Switching tracks in Tidal sometime cause delay up to minutes
  • tracks with long title not displayed with all text
  • No way to play from middle of the play list
  • When adjust volume on my iPhone, it attempts to change volume on the device even though the app is not focused (in background)
  • Speed test shows NaN
I think the layout could also be optimised for streaming providers, for example “collection” should be the default view etc.
Overall I’m satisfied with SQ which is probably most important.

I asked MA here in the forum about some limitations/flaws in playing Tidal content and Cao Wei said that he would forward the issues to the developpers (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...atrix-audio-element-x-issue.11027/post-438190). This was almost 4 months ago (06/23/2020). Continuous playback starting from any song in an album or playlist, that is automatically playing the next song in line, still isn't possible. When asking him about the state in the other thread a month ago he didn't answer.

Last edited:

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Yes agree there are simply many small issues and inconveniences in the app and firmware. I think lack of competition is part of the reason. There are not much better options for streamer which doesn’t cost 2 times more (take lumin for example). After all the product is for people who don’t want to bother with rpi based solutions, and hence the usability needs to be at least comparable to Volumio etc. given the higher price tag.
BTW I have complained the WiFi card issue to Matrix support, will update when I hear from them. I think the HW mistake is less forgivable.

“at least comparable to Volumio”. I think it needs to be significantly better than that.

raykkho

Forum Donor

raykkho

Forum Donor
Here you can find test files what I have used and I have problem with them over WiFi: (Stereo DSD 256 - 11.2896Mbit/s)
http://www.2l.no/hires/

FWIW, with the N-only wifi on my X, I have no problem streaming any content, including DSD 256, perhaps my X is close enough to my wifi router to achieve maximum throughput .

somy

I think with AC you get slightly bigger range and more head room in case your device is a little further away from the router. It is a disappointment as this could have been corrected in factory. With limited speed of the ethernet connection (only 100Mbps) WiFi on this device does matter IMO.
Edit: AC in practice can provide 2-3 timer higher speed than N. N in ideal situation is slight better than 100Mbps, with AC you can in practice get 250-300Mbps.

Top Bottom