• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

Rockfella

Forum Donor

WeiW

Hello, I have a question about fiio K5 pro connection. Can I use it as pre-amp to connect a power amp? I saw on fiio FAQ that this way of connection is not recommended, so I would like to learn the reason behind this. thx!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Hello, I have a question about fiio K5 pro connection. Can I use it as pre-amp to connect a power amp? I saw on fiio FAQ that this way of connection is not recommended, so I would like to learn the reason behind this. thx!
Looks like line-out dynamic range is on the order of 106 dB or so, which would only be good for so-so output noise levels when connected to a 29 dB power amplifier... not terrible but merely run of the mill receiver level. When using sensitive speakers, dynamic range requirements may noticeably exceed 120 dB if noise is to be kept inaudible.

ImFilippo

Should i use 24bit 41khz or 32bit 41khz?
What are the advantages of 32-bit? (I've never seen audio files created with 32bit)
I mainly listen to spotify, youtube, twitch and some flac files that I have in my collection

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Should i use 24bit 41khz or 32bit 41khz?
What are the advantages of 32-bit? (I've never seen audio files created with 32bit)
I mainly listen to spotify, youtube, twitch and some flac files that I have in my collection
YT Music may not work with those settings. YT audio is basic.

Bruno8724

I'm a noob trying to read through this and I can't quite answer my own question. I'll try to make this as short as possible:
-I have Sundaras, AD1000x's, 58x's, and I just ordered Modhouse Argons.
-I've used the k5 pro since April and been really happy with it.
-I just ordered the SMSL SP200 THX 888 amp for the Argons (also hoping the Sundaras will sound better with more power)

So... Is it worth trying to run the line-out (pre-amp) from the K5 Pro to my new amp when it gets here? Or should I just assume that I will need/want a separate DAC and order one now?

Veri

Master Contributor
So... Is it worth trying to run the line-out (pre-amp) from the K5 Pro to my new amp when it gets here? Or should I just assume that I will need/want a separate DAC and order one now?
Never assume ;) just try the K5 PRO's line-out. It likely suffices and give good results.

Agony

Hi to all i have a question for my K5pro.
Turning the volume knob while listening a song i can hear a clicking noise is this normal?
For example listening this song
The first 10 seconds its very obvious turning the volume knob i can hear these clicks .
I have many other dac amps with analogue volume knob and i dont hear these clicks.

Thanks a lot.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Hi to all i have a question for my K5pro.
Turning the volume knob while listening a song i can hear a clicking noise is this normal?
For example listening this song
The first 10 seconds its very obvious turning the volume knob i can hear these clicks .
I have many other dac amps with analogue volume knob and i dont hear these clicks.

Thanks a lot.
What clicks?

Agony

What clicks?
It reminds me some very old amps that when u turn the volume knob it scrathes like the noise u get from dust record's .
Sory i cant explain it better.
It stops when i dont turn the knob and its low noise not something u can hear when the song is loud.
Thanks for replying.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
It reminds me some very old amps that when u turn the volume knob it scrathes like the noise u get from dust record's .
Sory i cant explain it better.
It stops when i dont turn the knob and its low noise not something u can hear when the song is loud.
Thanks for replying.
Don't worry. I got it. It still happens with my FiiO E10 and it has been working fine since 7 years.

Agony

Don't worry. I got it. It still happens with my FiiO E10 and it has been working fine since 7 years.
If its not a problem then i am ok with it.
Does fiio use something different on their potentiometer knobs ?

Ps. I have make this question in so many forums and u are the only one answering very kind of u have a great Christmas.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
If its not a problem then i am ok with it.
Does fiio use something different on their potentiometer knobs ?

Ps. I have make this question in so many forums and u are the only one answering very kind of u have a great Christmas.
:) Merry Christmas.

matts19

For the price, the power output it is not too bad. Not a state of the art performance, but not too bad. It's probably fine for a lot of people. I agree that one doesn't need to be too alarmist about lower SINAD since overall, especially power-wise, it performs OK.

index.php

Amplification-wise overall it does good. To use as a DAC in line-out it is a bad purchase, but for an all in one headphone amp it would do well enough.

If I understood this right, are you saying that line out to another external amplifier is a bad idea ? If so that bums me because that is exactly what I am trying to do.

Veri

Master Contributor
If I understood this right, are you saying that line out to another external amplifier is a bad idea ? If so that bums me because that is exactly what I am trying to do.
Other way around: to buy K5 Pro as an amp to use with line-in from other DAC servers little point, there's no advantage there.
To use it as a line-out to something else is just fine.

matts19

Other way around: to buy K5 Pro as an amp to use with line-in from other DAC servers little point, there's no advantage there.
To use it as a line-out to something else is just fine.

Thanks for your reply. My concern is that the test result showed that the SINAD from its LINE-OUT port showed 82dB with 2V. My understanding is that RCA line-out usually would have to have 2V as a feed to another device. If I turn down volume on the knob to adjust the voltage to 1V then it will achieve 98dB as per Fiio's claim on thread page 12. Would 1V then be too weak to feed to a Little Dot MK2 that I am thinking of purchasing ? Conversely, full volume would output 2V but I am afraid of audible noise that may result (on top of the fact that tube amp itself loses details).

Note: the manual on MK2 specifies max input voltage of 4V. It did not specify the minimum voltage needed (if applicable)

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for your reply. My concern is that the test result showed that the SINAD from its LINE-OUT port showed 82dB with 2V. My understanding is that RCA line-out usually would have to have 2V as a feed to another device. If I turn down volume on the knob to adjust the voltage to 1V then it will achieve 98dB as per Fiio's claim on thread page 12. Would 1V then be too weak to feed to a Little Dot MK2 that I am thinking of purchasing ? Conversely, full volume would output 2V but I am afraid of audible noise that may result (on top of the fact that tube amp itself loses details).
You could try 1V out and higher volume on the amp that could work quite well, but honestly you might not notice any difference compared to 2V out in terms of fidelity.. it's likely "fine". I'm not into tube amps though, such as the Little Dot, so I can't provide any real-world anecdotal experience there.

matts19

You could try 1V out and higher volume on the amp that could work quite well, but honestly you might not notice any difference compared to 2V out in terms of fidelity.. it's likely "fine". I'm not into tube amps though, such as the Little Dot, so I can't provide any real-world anecdotal experience there.
Thank you very much for your input! (Pun intended)

Top Bottom