• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Fiio K5 Pro

Neutronman

Ordered Topping DX3 Pro to go with my Meze 99 neo headphones, but the Topping arrived doa. Bought the Fiio K5 pro instead. Very happy, can't tell the difference if I am honest in sound quality. I want to add a pair of speakers for under $200 to connect to this dac amp and my PC. Any recommendations?

Saalor

My Fiio K5 Pro has a problem with chromecast audio. It will not play high res files through the optical input. The green light is on so there is a signal connection but no audio. CD quality works through optical but not 24/96. Major problem for me!

raif71

Major Contributor
So, this is a pure headphone amplifier instead of a dac/amp
Well this is a combo dac/amp but if you want to use this as an amp for an external dac that you so desire, it's possible too coz it has a line-in.

Saalor

Well this is a combo dac/amp but if you want to use this as an amp for an external dac that you so desire, it's possible too coz it has a line-in.
Yes, you can use it just as an amp with line in. At least for me my problem is the dac doesn't work as an external dac for optical line in from the ChromeCast Audio on 96khz high res files. That is a problem for me because my music is mostly 24.96 flac files and I user CCA for streamer.

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes, you can use it just as an amp with line in. At least for me my problem is the dac doesn't work as an external dac for optical line in from the ChromeCast Audio on 96khz high res files. That is a problem for me because my music is mostly 24.96 flac files and I user CCA for streamer.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/ishg06 - this site suggests the OP is running 24/96 using optical.

vhild§

My Fiio K5 Pro has a problem with chromecast audio. It will not play high res files through the optical input. The green light is on so there is a signal connection but no audio. CD quality works through optical but not 24/96. Major problem for me!

Interesting. Just bought CCA and was hoping to add it optically to Fiio K5 Pro (still un-ordered). If there are problems with compatibility, I´ll have to pass this. Maybe you need to check the CCA settings and source settings? CCA Factory reset?

Last edited:

Saalor

Interesting. Just bought CCA and was hoping to add it optically to Fiio K5 Pro (still un-ordered). If there are problems with compatibility, I´ll have to pass this. Maybe you need to check the CCA settings and source settings? CCA Factory reset?
Done and done. I have tried pretty much everything (including two different CCAs). I played a CCA through the same optical cable to a different DAC so I know the cable functions.

vhild§

I just got my CCA, will try to put it through Yamaha R-N803D via optical tomorrow and see what comes out of it.

V6xc

Hello Mr.Amirm @amirm
do you recommend fiio k5 pro with DT990 PRO 250 Ohms?

Thank you so much.

panther

I am looking for a smallish sized headphone dac/amp that I am rarely going to use with Sennheiser HD660s and sitting on my desk. I know there are the JDS and Schiit stacks but if I want just 1 power plug coming out for less clutter is this a good option or is there anything else I should look at ( living in canada). The other 2 I thought about were the iFi zen dac or Aune X1S 2020 (although I didn't like their power brick more then anything). The k5 pro can be had for 229.99 before tax in canada right now.

hawk01

hello FiiO K5 Pro owners!

how do you find the K5 pro using IEMs. are you still able to utilize a broad range with the volu,e knob in low gain?
is there really no audible hiss to account for what the online reviews claim?

Saalor

hello FiiO K5 Pro owners!

how do you find the K5 pro using IEMs. are you still able to utilize a broad range with the volu,e knob in low gain?
is there really no audible hiss to account for what the online reviews claim?
When using iems I get a hum noise that goes away when I touch the case. Probably a grounding issue others have mentioned here. Can anyone suggest how I can ground it?

Saalor

Some flaws of K5 Pro (JMHO)

1) Weird sizzling/humming sounds that are audible when nothing plays ... both on my LP6s and any IEMs I use. I have not noticed anyone else stating that anywhere online/this forum so it could me my set-up. None of the noise happens in my evergreen Fiio E10.
2) The volume increase from 0 to anything audible is not gradual/smooth. After switching it on … it just starts out a little louder than ideal. Sometimes at night the "minimum volume” is too loud and there is no way to control the volume from PC.
3) Both the front and rear ports are always on. I have to turn off speakers if I want to use the headphone jack or else both play together: This can be a real big one for many.

Overall I love it. It has been compared to JDS Atom :)

Just a note: In my country iFi Zen DAC was available a bit later after I purchased. iFi Zen DAC is cheaper than K5 Pro and has balanced outs + USB3.

EDIT: Just when I was thinking "I should have bought the zen" I found this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/ifi-zen-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.9885/

K5 Pro FTW!
I get the hum noise, it goes away when I touch the case.

Add to your list the fact it will not play 24/96 files from chromecast audio optical.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
I get the hum noise, it goes away when I touch the case.

Add to your list the fact it will not play 24/96 files from chromecast audio optical.
I moved from USB to optical and it fixed everything .. but now I am on 24/92000.

panther

"The rear Line Out changes with volume on the front but not the gain switch. The headphone output and rear Line Out are active at the same time so you have to remember to disconnect one or the other if that is what you intent."
So if I wanted to use this as a DAC to my Yamaha WXA-50 do I need to unplug the RCA cables every time I plug in my headphones or do I just power off my Yamaha amp. I just need something basic right now and was hoping the k5 pro would be a good fit.

Top Bottom