• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of E1DA 9038S BAL Portable DAC & Amp

d2k5000

That was a typo. My bad. G1-2 used cmedia, G3 switched to Comtrue. I fixed my original post.
No problem. I appreciate the information. I think I will purchase the new Gen 3. I was looking for a good portable solution with enough juice for my DCA Stealth headphone. Seems like the e1da will do nicely.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ivan, is powerdac 2.1 safe to use with pc and make some music? I am scared of some sudden loud noise that might damage my ears. Thinking to use it with akg 702 and beyerdynamic dt 770 80 ohm. If I choose unbalanced mode ( no boost) will it always keep me safe loudness wise? It can’t somehow accidentaly jump to boost side? I understand the clean filosofy of this device but going without volume knob makes me nervous.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ivan, is powerdac 2.1 safe to use with pc and make some music? I am scared of some sudden loud noise that might damage my ears. Thinking to use it with akg 702 and beyerdynamic dt 770 80 ohm. If I choose unbalanced mode ( no boost) will it always keep me safe loudness wise? It can’t somehow accidentaly jump to boost side? I understand the clean filosofy of this device but going without volume knob makes me nervous.
The PDv2.1 can't accidentally switch output mode on its own.
If you're worried about high volumes, then you can install HPToy, set the volume slider to something like -50dB and save that config as a new preset (doing so will commit it to non-volatile storage).
After that, your PDv2.1 will be permanently limited to -50dBFS. No matter how often you unplug and replug it, no matter what USB host you use.

Oukkidoukki

The PDv2.1 can't accidentally switch output mode on its own.
If you're worried about high volumes, then you can install HPToy, set the volume slider to something like -50dB and save that config as a new preset (doing so will commit it to non-volatile storage).
After that, your PDv2.1 will be permanently limited to -50dBFS. No matter how often you unplug and replug it, no matter what USB host you use.
Static, little bit more help if you may….I tried to find my way to this discord thing, but I can’t get in. Is it still on? Also, I guess we don’t have powerdac thread here? Then, I would like to try it with phone also , is there some proven otg splitter cable that work with charger? Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Static, little bit more help if you may….I tried to find my way to this discord thing, but I can’t get in. Is it still on? Also, I guess we don’t have powerdac thread here? Then, I would like to try it with phone also , is there some proven otg splitter cable that work with charger? Thanks!
Here's another invite link: https://discord.gg/YEKRzsbRhf
There's no Powerdac thread on ASR afaik, sine it has yet to be reviewed here.
An ideal Y-splitter for the PDv2 does not exist.
You could use this one along with a regular A to B cable, but it has a 5V connection between USB host and accessory, so various problems may occur if you don't modify it by cutting that 5V wire.
Alternatively you could try either this one or that one along with an adapter like that. The advantage is that these two Y-splitters come without 5V connection between host and accessory right ootb, so no modification required.
Or you could create an ideal Y-splitter by snipping off the Type-C accessory end of either the E1DA splitter, or the Yinlvmei splitter and soldering a Type-B plug onto the cable instead, which you can then plug directly into the PDv2.

Oukkidoukki

Ok, now I got it. Didn't know that I need to download an app from playstore. I check those links. Thank you sir!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok, now I got it. Didn't know that I need to download an app from playstore. I check those links. Thank you sir!
You don't have to install an app to join discord. That can be done in your browser.
To change stuff like hardware volume, compressor, and EQ on your PDv2, an app is indeed required.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can someone explain me the differenvće between 9038s and the newer G3 ?
9038S is the product line. G3 is the newest version of the 9038S. There's also the 9038S G1 and 9038S G2.

The G3 had a bunch of upgrades vs the G1 and G2:
- new USB bridge which got rid of a bug that the G1 and G2 had, where a weak USB connection could lead to the DAC playing white noise at 100% volume (very unpleasant)
-support for PCM 32/384 and DSD 256
-added hardware volume control via UAC2 commands from USB host
-upgradeable firmware
-four modes to cycle between replaced with App that enables advanced configuration (see here)
-increased EMI resistance
-distortion and noise slightly improved
-silver housing with silkscreen markings replaced with black anodized housing and laser-engraved markings (no longer rub off over time)

Last edited:

Viennacalling

Thank you - is a g4 in the pipeline?

and having a 9038d with focal clear, will it be a improvement with the G3?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you - is a g4 in the pipeline?

and having a 9038d with focal clear, will it be a improvement with the G3?
A G4 isn't in the pipeline at the moment. The Cosmos lineup is currently the highest priority.
The 9038S will be about 2db or roughly 15% louder at that load.
EMI resistance should also be a bit better, in case that's something you're struggling with.
The SG3 is also more efficient, consuming about 10% less power.

Viennacalling

Ok, thank you 9038D is loud enough for me - more than loud enough
i was just asking because there might be sound difference between D and S - mor room, or more clarity, clear sound, or ..?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Ok, thank you 9038D is loud enough for me - more than loud enough
i was just asking because there might be sound difference between D and S - mor room, or more clarity, clear sound, or ..?
Distortion is the same.
The 9038S uses AD8397 Opamps, D has OPA1622.
Under 32Ω load with 1kHz signal, the S has -135dB crosstalk, D -82dB.

Whether there will actually be a difference in perceived sound quality, I can't tell.

Haider

How much power would you get using it with the HIFIMan Sundara 39 ohm impedance/resistance? How many volts can be output?

Top Bottom