• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Spotify app likely isn't bit perfect too as it sends audio through the system mixer, definitely so on Windows. CCA optical output to a DAC is your best bet to get best quality Spotify playback short of using more expensive streamers.
Pi provides better quality in similar price :D

gvl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pi provides better quality in similar price :D
I tried the librespot based Spotify client on Linux and it wasn't all that great when using "connect", my phone would constantly get out of sync with the currently playing track, etc. Perhaps things improved since then.

jo_r

Hi,
Wow, what a great article. I'm searching for a while about some information and didn't find until now.
I have got a few questions.
I have a Denon AVR3313 amp and would like to plug the Chromecast by using a toslink cable.
And I have got an android player hooked up to a projector (hdmi).
I would like to be able to display the image to the projector and stream the audio to my AVR.
I have read that multichannel (5.1) would work but I don't know if 7.1 would.
I don't know if sound and image will be synced.
And I don't know if it would work using Kodi.
I would really appreciate your feeedback.
Thank you and good day.

jaynyc

Patreon Donor
@kaka89 @gvl regarding 'sound quality' of Spotify via Chromecast, there's a lot of discussion about this. It seems that Spotify's official position is to use 256AAC with Spotify Premium to Chromecast, which is different than 320OggVorbis. Though I'll leave the debate of lossy encoding formats to others.

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/system_settings/high-quality-streaming/
(expand the Chromecast section)

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ot...mecast-bitrate-solution-verified/td-p/4661520

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ot...otify-Premium-on-Chromecast-Audio/m-p/4363193

nicv

I wonder if you could do a similar test of the Apple Airport Express (A1392), please?

After Apple updated its firmware to support Airplay 2 I jumped on it to feed my DAC since Airplay 2 is lossless (ALAC).

However, at some point I noticed audible crackling on certain tracks, e.g., Mia & Sebastian's Theme from the LA LA Land soundtrack.

The crackling isn't present when using the same optical cable directly from my MacBook Pro. Further, since my DAC has USB & Toslink inputs I A/B'd (volume matched) the Airport Express (Toslink) and my MacBook Pro (USB) and the only audible difference was the crackling. I also tried two other Airport Express units I own and they all had the same problem. Finally, to rule out the DAC as the source of problems, I ran the same tests on my Vanatoo Transparent Zero's Toslink input and found the same problems.

I'll soon have a Topping DX3 Pro and will see if the problem persists…

When it comes to Spotify on Chromecast, there is an official way to make it possibel. To do this, you need to subscribe Spotify Premium. Once done, you can connect Spotify app with Chromecast device with ease via Spotify Connect feature.
If you don't have a Spotify Premium account, you need to convert Spotify music to MP3 with some third-party Spotify Music Downloader and then you are able to sync Spotify files to Chromecast with ease for listening.

Top Bottom