• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F206 and F208

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
In terms of distortion and clean output potential, is the F206 an appreciable step up from the M106 assuming both high-passed at 80Hz?
The main benefit I hear is midrange clarity since the F206 is a 3 way. There is no midwoofer struggling to produce clear midrange while simultaneously suffering significant excursion while trying to produce low bass impact.

Lsc

I recently became the owner of a pair of Revel F206 towers w/ C208 center. I'm running them with a sub crossed over at 60Hz. They're getting 200 wpc.

I'm looking to hear from people who have heard both the F206 and F208. In your opinions, are the F208 a significant upgrade from the F206?
The F206 will be just fine with a sub. Even if you have a very large room the output of the F206 is similar to the F208 anyway - it’s just aesthetically not as impressive as the F208 being a smaller speaker.

JohnnyNG

The main benefit I hear is midrange clarity since the F206 is a 3 way. There is no midwoofer struggling to produce clear midrange while simultaneously suffering significant excursion while trying to produce low bass impact.
Thanks, Steve, makes sense. Even the woofers are moving half as much as the single in the M106 for a given input, I'd guess. I was a little thrown by the statement in this review that "The only real flaw of my Revel F206s is that they don't play really loud.". I mean, even my M106 are no slouches in the volume dept, especially high-passed, so the F206 have to be at least a bit more capable than those. Tough to find any testing comparable to that found here at ASR, though.

Looneybomber

In terms of distortion and clean output potential, is the F206 an appreciable step up from the M106 assuming both high-passed at 80Hz?
Maybe? I don’t have a lot of experience with the M106 but I own the F206. There will be a point at whatever frequencies and SPL where the M106 distorts more than the F206 and sound worse (assuming distortion sounds objectionable to you). The question is, will you reach that point?

If you find yourself cranking up the volume a lot, then upgrading to the F206 or F208 would be beneficial. I don’t know how good the woofer is in the m106/f206, but the F208 is pretty good. If you compare m106 and f208 distortion graphs above 80hz, you get more than 10db of clean output compared to the M106. I would consider that an “appreciable step up” for sure.

1694537063931.png

1694537103625.png

JohnnyNG

Maybe? I don’t have a lot of experience with the M106 but I own the F206. There will be a point at whatever frequencies and SPL where the M106 distorts more than the F206 and sound worse (assuming distortion sounds objectionable to you). The question is, will you reach that point?

If you find yourself cranking up the volume a lot, then upgrading to the F206 or F208 would be beneficial. I don’t know how good the woofer is in the m106/f206, but the F208 is pretty good. If you compare m106 and f208 distortion graphs above 80hz, you get more than 10db of clean output compared to the M106. I would consider that an “appreciable step up” for sure.

View attachment 311526
View attachment 311527

Yep, F208 is a big step up for sure in that 80-500Hz region. Just wish I had comparable data for F206. :) F208 is so big!

Agapetos

+1 on adding a sub and it doesn't have to be the exact same sub. More on that later ...
The ting the OP needs to keep in mind is that adding another subwoofer is not a walk-in-the park, plug and play , solution . It will take time, lot of time, perhaps additional components.. Yes , unfortunately, it requires that you spend time on forum to unedrstand how and what to do ... People here are willing to help and they will if you ask ..
This said ..
One more subwoofer (PB-1000 or PB-2000) and
REW software (free)
miniDSP UMik-1, measuring microphone, not free: $125 on Amazon
miniDSp2x4HD, a DSP/box that would help immensely integrating the 2 subs... $325, last time I checked...

Lot of time to learn to measure, Measure, Learn to apply, Apply, Learn stoopid interface, Apply said measurements to stooooopid interfaces Ask, here, We will answer.. Be frustrated.. come back here again and be satisfied. rewarded .. And then, with the F206 in a medium room, subwoofers correctly integrated? Heaven!

Peace.
Mini
I appreciate this reply!

Question: my room is open to kitchen, so 30' x 16 x 9'...I'm really really liking the revel speakers f206 and was wondering if my room is too large for the f206 with sub. Got the pb16 ultra, planning on a second later, but while my Klipsch RP 8000f was a huge upgrade from the mixed hand-me-downs I had, after only 3 months I want more ...the f208 is on sale for around $2000 right now, but is a stretch for me.

MLP is 12' I'm up against the wall on the short side, and..... unfortunately, have my speakers in a TV nook kinda deal ... wondering if I'm causing some issues, but as far as Dirac live correction and REW measurements, it's seems decent.

Thank you for any help with my next upgrade!!!

Used to build speakers with my dad, and if I can get even close to what pink Floyd sounded like on his speakers, I'd be super grateful and happy for a while.

PS: JTRs are probably overkill and would require a long period of saving up, and my wife would require a diamond ring upgrade and 2 years of back scratches

Top Bottom