• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F206 and F208

ripziro

I recently became the owner of a pair of Revel F206 towers w/ C208 center. I'm running them with a sub crossed over at 60Hz. They're getting 200 wpc.

I'm looking to hear from people who have heard both the F206 and F208. In your opinions, are the F208 a significant upgrade from the F206?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
They are a significant upgrade if the room benefits from the additional SPL capability. Otherwise incremental--especially when crossed with a sub.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They are a significant upgrade if the room benefits from the additional SPL capability. Otherwise incremental--especially when crossed with a sub.
+1 on this. If you are running subs, then probably not much of an upgrade unless you also are running these in a very large room. You might try crossing at 75 or 80 hz too.

Elfsberg

One subwoofer?

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently became the owner of a pair of Revel F206 towers w/ C208 center. I'm running them with a sub crossed over at 60Hz. They're getting 200 wpc.

I'm looking to hear from people who have heard both the F206 and F208. In your opinions, are the F208 a significant upgrade from the F206?
Move the F206 to side surround and F208s up front. Problem solved

OP
R

ripziro

I think money spent on a second matching sub (and a miniDSP and UMIK-1 if you don't have one) would be smarter money than upgrading to the F208.
Not familiar with miniDSP. Is it important if I have Audyssey XT 32? Reading online I see some people using this for sub eq.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not familiar with miniDSP. Is it important if I have Audyssey XT 32? Reading online I see some people using this for sub eq.
Audyssey XT32 can only correct for 1 sub channel. Sometimes this works fine with 2 subs, but sometimes it doesn't. If you already have Audyssey XT32, I'd try that alone with dual subs and if REW measurements look good for the listening positions you care about, then you are good to go. If you mostly only care about one specific listening location, you will likely get good results. It's a lot less effort if this works.

I have Audyssey XT32 also, and it did well with 2 subs at my primary location (the first spot measured when the calibration runs). It was quite flat thru the whole range, but where my wife sits did not have nearly as good of a response with lots of nulls. By using a miniDSP to apply filters generated by Multi-Sub Optimizer, I was able to get much flat response through the entire sub range for both my wife and I. The learning alone is worth the effort, but be aware that it's a pretty deep dive and will take a lot of time.

Lsc

I went thru this dilemma almost 10 years ago when I bought the F208. The F206 are great speakers and with a sub the F208 would be a modest upgrade sound wise. But visually the F208 is a much larger speaker and looks more imposing. If you are watching a movie, with the C208, I’m not even sure you can tell between the two.
I’d say, it’s your choice but I’d save my money. If you want to upgrade sound wise, the next logical move would be the F226Be and C426Be. The C208 is a tremendous center channel though and honestly, you really have to be willing to spend a lot more for little improvements at this point.

While I made incremental upgrades to now having the Salon2 and voice2, the value of doing such depends on the person.

OP
R

ripziro

I think money spent on a second matching sub (and a miniDSP and UMIK-1 if you don't have one) would be smarter money than upgrading to the F208.
It's hard for me to imagine wanting more impactful bass than what a single PB 2000 pro provides. Could you describe the benefits of adding a second sub? I could imagine symmetry being a good reason to have two, but I've read online people typically can't blindly locate the source of <80Hz. If that's the case, what does adding a second sub provide? Is it a clear and obvious improvement?

Elfsberg

The two speakers share midrange and tweeter and should sound pretty much identical above 300 Hz or wherever they are crossed. Both speakers are excellent speakers and should sound pretty much the same anyway except for SPL where the two bigger woofers will be able to produce higher SPL.

This is why I would add another subwoofer instead. :)

One source of sound will excite some very specific room modes and thus several peaks and nulls in the frequency response.

This is a problem pretty much just under 200 Hz, if I can recall correctly, because wavelengths (physical size of sound waves) are not big enough over this spectrum.

Depending on room size and layout some sound waves might "get stuck" between different dimensions/walls and bounce back and forth (until they fade). Bouncing back and forth these older soundwaves will add to newer sound waves and depending on their summarized (1+1 or 1+(-1)) phase (which way they are travelling, in this case) make these new waves stronger or weaker.

You can test this out for yourself by turning off the main speakers and moving around in your room - SPL will vary alot by frequency and position of your ears! The biggest differences are in close proximity to walls and in particular corners.

Sound emitted from several sources will sort of disrupt this process when the problematic room modes are excited again from other directions (and thus time/phase). I believe
The only REAL solution to these kind of problems is proper acoustic treatments with cubic metres of bass traps and more tens of cubic metres of damping. :)

Excuse my language, this is my first post on the subject in English and it's rusty.

A quick google search gave me this:

And here's a text from amirm:

Last edited:

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
It's hard for me to imagine wanting more impactful bass than what a single PB 2000 pro provides. Could you describe the benefits of adding a second sub? I could imagine symmetry being a good reason to have two, but I've read online people typically can't blindly locate the source of <80Hz. If that's the case, what does adding a second sub provide? Is it a clear and obvious improvement?
I had one JL Audio e112 sub, and it's quite powerful, and I thought the same thing before I got two. It's not about more/louder bass. It's about smoother bass that fills in many (and possibly all) of the nulls that you get with one sub. Below is my living room with one JL e112 vs two. Notice the bass SPL is the same, but the nulls are cleaned up. I also got deeper extension below 20 Hz. My wife's seat was an even bigger mess, and the second sub cleaned up her bass response almost as well as mine.

1-sub-vs-2.png

Also, the L/R symmetry is important to me. I can totally localize the sub when listening to music, especially if it's something like jazz and the bass player is on the right, and my sub was on my left. I could hear the low notes "bend" over to the left in the soundstage because of the sub. Now it's totally neutral and I love it.

Last edited:

Elfsberg

I had one JL Audio e112 sub, and it's quite powerful, and I thought the same thing before I got two. It's not about more/louder bass. It's about smoother bass that fills in many (and possibly all) of the nulls that you get with one sub. Below is my living room with one JL e112 vs two. Notice the bass SPL is the same, but the nulls are cleaned up. I also got deeper extension below 20 Hz. My wife's seat was an even bigger mess, and the second sub cleaned up her bass response almost as well as mine.

View attachment 191406

Also, the L/R symmetry is important to me. I can totally localize the sub when listening to music, especially if it's something like jazz and the bass player is on the right, and my sub was on my left. I could hear the low notes "bend" over to the left in the soundstage because of the sub. Now it's totally neutral and I love it.
What he said. Massive improvements frequency wise.

Although I must say that 100 Hz dip surely looks like time alignment error. I'd adjust the crossover frequency some.
@anotherhobby does the dip persist if you play the speakers reverse polarity?

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Although I must say that 100 Hz dip surely looks like time alignment error. I'd adjust the crossover frequency some.
@anotherhobby does the dip persist if you play the speakers reverse polarity?
That 100 Hz dip is a compromise. I get the dip, my wife gets a peak. The dip is the same size with one sub, with the difference here being that I did a slight correction with MultEQ-X to help my position some, without ruining it for her with a big peak. I could 100% flatten the dip for me, but it'll give my wife a equal peak in the same spot. Her peak is audibly worse than my null. I tested crossover points from 40-120 Hz and none of the trade-offs were any better than 80 Hz. I also played with sub distance and a few other tweaks.

sdiver68

I have F206 with Sub.

Originally wanted F208 but long time Revel dealer talked me out of it. Said the only reason for F208 is testosterone...Given my room size and preferred SPL.

Both were in stock and priced about $1200 apart so I took his word for it (along with extensive research ha)

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have F206 with Sub.

Originally wanted F208 but long time Revel dealer talked me out of it. Said the only reason for F208 is testosterone...Given my room size and preferred SPL.

Both were in stock and priced about $1200 apart so I took his word for it (along with extensive research ha)
Room size into play?

JohnnyNG

In terms of distortion and clean output potential, is the F206 an appreciable step up from the M106 assuming both high-passed at 80Hz?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+1 on adding a sub and it doesn't have to be the exact same sub. More on that later ...
The ting the OP needs to keep in mind is that adding another subwoofer is not a walk-in-the park, plug and play , solution . It will take time, lot of time, perhaps additional components.. Yes , unfortunately, it requires that you spend time on forum to unedrstand how and what to do ... People here are willing to help and they will if you ask ..
This said ..
One more subwoofer (PB-1000 or PB-2000) and
REW software (free)
miniDSP UMik-1, measuring microphone, not free: $125 on Amazon
miniDSp2x4HD, a DSP/box that would help immensely integrating the 2 subs... $325, last time I checked...

Lot of time to learn to measure, Measure, Learn to apply, Apply, Learn stoopid interface, Apply said measurements to stooooopid interfaces Ask, here, We will answer.. Be frustrated.. come back here again and be satisfied. rewarded .. And then, with the F206 in a medium room, subwoofers correctly integrated? Heaven!

Peace.
Mini

Top Bottom