• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reset button: DAC+amp, or Integrated?

mk05

Forum Donor
Hello, perhaps this is not the correct subforum, but I don't know where else to really post it.

I have been reading this forum like crazy over the past month. It seems that a lot has changed since I first bought my system back in 2006 and shut my eyes to the "then-world" of audiophile. I am looking to upgrade, and like to base my purchases on science rather than sales-talk. I have thoroughly enjoyed my Energy C-7 towers on my old Marantz, but I need to refresh the hardware.

Most of my input will be optical, USB, and bluetooth (this input is not for critical listening). The room is about 4 meters x 3 meters. Room acoustics are neutral. The speakers are going to be KEF R5. These speakers are a step up in terms of requirements from my current speakers, and I am curious how to drive them.

DAC + amp, or do I go integrated? Economics are a driving factor in how I derive value, and I have included prices that are offered to me where I could. I am taking a look at Emotiva XPA2 Gen 1 ($500) with a DAC, 2x Outlaw 2200 ($450) with a DAC, IOTAVX SA/PA combo, HK990, and Hegel H80 ($1100). While the notion of integrated seems cleaner in terms of "cosmetic presentation," I am faced with an indisputable, emerging truth that incredible DACs can be had for very short money now. Originally, I was going to pair the power amp of choice with an Emotiva DAC, but it seems the Khadas Tone Board seems to be a compelling contender for no money. Add to that mix, the SMSL SU-8, and Topping D-series...then it seems that integrated solutions like Arcam SA30 w/Dirac Live, or even Hegel H190 seems like a stupid idea all together for the long run.

Does anyone know if the Khadas VIM + DAC can be used as external processor via USB C cord or SD card/bluetooth? Because that would be outrageous to turn that into an AV Receiver of sorts:
COMPUTER > VIM3 > AV RECEIVER(?) > TV (ARC)
COMPUTER > TONE DAC > AMP > SPEAKERS

Thank you in advance

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What is the model of the Marantz receiver/speaker amplifier do you have?
Maybe get the KEF R5 and plug them into the Marantz, at least for now.

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
What is the model of the Marantz receiver/speaker amplifier do you have?
Maybe get the KEF R5 and plug them into the Marantz, at least for now.
Hi @twsecrest = it is a SR4001, which has very squirrelly WPC rating, but drove the Energy C7s ok enough. But please do not concern with the Marantz & Energy as I will be placing them elsewhere.

twsecrest

Hi @twsecrest = it is a SR4001, which has very squirrelly WPC rating, but drove the Energy C7s ok enough. But please do not concern with the Marantz & Energy as I will be placing them elsewhere.
Cool.
You might also try post these questions at AVSforum and AVforum.

M00ndancer

Forum Donor
COMPUTER > TONE DAC > AMP > SPEAKERS
Perhaps a SMSL M500 combined with a Behringer A800? Add in a miniDSP and Umik-1 for room correction, if you want.
Balanced cables from DAC to Amp to minimize hum and ground loops from computer via USB.

COMPUTER > VIM3 > AV RECEIVER(?) > TV (ARC)
To get the audio from the computer to the speakers you can use software like Voicemeter Banana ($20) and the image to the TV via HDMI.
To get sound from the TV use a toslink or a HDMI to toslink converter. Connect the toslink to the SMSL M500.

Why BT? For streaming services? Get a streamer connected (like a ChromeCast Audio, if you can get hold of one*) to a toslink on the SMSL M500 unless you want to use the computer.
What other components do you plan to connect to your system?
What sound sources, applications?

The items above is just a suggestion.

*The ChromeCast Audio is not manufactured anymore, but still supported by Google

OP
M

mk05

Forum Donor
@M00ndancer - fascinating with Voicemeeter! Thanks, I will have to take a look at that. I was assuming using VLC for some odd reason. Optical is ready. Most of my audio is in a laptop HD, which I figured would be connected via USB. I was interested in the Tone Board / VIM configuration due to its MicroSD/USB, and I figured I could make that into my streamer or an outboard video/audio processor (unsure if possible still). The Bluetooth is mainly for convenience - when guests may want to play music on the system from time to time. I guess I could buy one of those $30 Bluetooth dongles that fit to a DAC via RCA...does the incorporation of the chip really add that much "noise" into the sound?

Top Bottom