• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated amp with USB B and DSD DAC.

jeanft

My TEAC AI-101DA needs to be replaced. Looking for an integrated amp with USB B and DSD DAC if possible. Or a DAC/amp combo from Topping or SMSL I guess. I run the speakers with 25 w so far. Thank you.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s the budget? Why USB B particularly? Do you need and other sources other than USB?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The requirement for USB-B complicates things.

Here are a few Int Amps with USB-B input and DSD support:
-Topping MX5
-SMSL VMV A2
-Audiophonics DA-S125NC
-Audiophonics DA-S250NC
-Audiophonics DAW-S250NC

I found like seven other Int Amps with USB-C input instead of B.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
USB-C doesn’t mean you need a super speed interface. All of these DACs are working at USB 2.0 speeds. The connector it has should be irrelevant.

OP
J

jeanft

USB B to use with the PC. I stream with Qobuz and Audirvana. I have many 64 DSD files on PC. Correct me if I am wrong, I saw several with USB for external hard drive or flash cards only. Well, if USB C works, it's fine with me. I don't need something pricey.
I play music most of the time with the main system.

Last edited:
OP
J

jeanft

So? Why not use a A to C cable? Many DACs come with one.
The PC is in a closet not far from the main system. I run a long USB B cable to my desk. I could use a USB B converter to C then.

staticV3

Master Contributor
The PC is in a closet not far from the main system. I run a long USB B cable to my desk. I could use a USB B converter to C then.
If you need C, then it's better to run a native C cable without converter.

But now you have a selection of USB-B and USB-C devices to choose from.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those adapters aren’t very common, but I’m sure they exist.

OP
J

jeanft

Those adapters aren’t very common, but I’m sure they exist.
I found a few on Ali. I will get a USB C cable . I just need to find the integrated amps with USB C now.
Thank you all for your help.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I found a few on Ali. I will get a USB C cable . I just need to find the integrated amps with USB C now.
Thank you all for your help.
Please don't choose the Amp based on the USB input type.

If the Amp that suits you best happens to have USB-B, then that's perfectly fine. Plus, you already have a cable for it.

OP
J

jeanft

SMSL AL200, SMSL AO300 looks so complete but with issues, Loxjie A30/40 and Topping MX5 on my list so far...

Sokel

Master Contributor
If your cable is longer than 3 meters make sure you'll get a certified one,not all of them works,specially at high rates.

OP
J

jeanft

If your cable is longer than 3 meters make sure you'll get a certified one,not all of them works,specially at high rates.
Yes. It's a long one with repeater. I have a JCAT USB Card FEMTO on the PC. Whatever it does or does not. Different story.
Any advantage to choose a DAC with HDMI?

OP
J

jeanft

Careful: HDMI can be either I2S input or ARC

I2S is pretty useless.

ARC can be useful depending on the implementation.
It's ARC. I use the cable with the monitor. SMSL AO30 is the one to get if I go with HDMI.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's ARC. I use the cable with the monitor. SMSL AO30 is the one to get if I go with HDMI.
ARC has the potential of supporting CEC volume control, which means that if you plug the Amp into your TV via ARC, then you can control volume using the TV remote.

If you use Toslink, then the TV volume will be locked to 100% and you'll be forced to control volume using the Amp's own remote or knob.

However, ARC input does not automatically mean CEC volume support. It depends on the specific device.

Top Bottom