• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Requirements to be eligible to post items for sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
You must be a “Donor” Member before you can place any for sale post in this Forum. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

- Your ad must have a requested price and you can say you will entertain reasonable offers. (Include what Region/Location/Country)
- Include “Where” you are willing to ship, and “Who Pays for shipping”. (Specifics can be worked out between Seller and buyer.)
- Please start all For Sale Threads by including “FS/US” or “FS/EU” as the first words in the Thread Title.

Do not post in a sales thread unless you are interested in buying the item and are seeking additional information. Conduct all price negotiations in Private Message form. Interfering posts will be deleted.

The above are our Only effective Rules. Follow on posts by Members are just suggestions and ideas not yet adopted.

Change Notes:

*- Updated to “Donor” status Only to post for sale items on August 10, 2023.
*- Updated to better highlight how to Title the Sales Thread for the purpose of helping viewers understand where you are located and where you are willing to ship.

Last edited:
OP
AdamG

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Admittedly this is a low hurdle. The rationale for this new rule. We have had a recent flurry of activity in this thread. Expensive items being offered at incredibly low prices. We did some ip look ups to just see where they are and the results were nefarious to be certain. Most of the activity was from brand new 1 and 2 post members. We know this won’t stop the committed thief. But I will slow down the Bots.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course we could add a requirement that all items for sale be sent to Amir for testing. That would up the gear for testing and the new owner knows if it is broken or not. Then we might need to add a fee for testing to pay for Amir's hired assistant. Or we bring back Thomas and let him live in Amir's camper van. ;)

shrimp_dude

Of course we could add a requirement that all items for sale be sent to Amir for testing. That would up the gear for testing and the new owner knows if it is broken or not. Then we might need to add a fee for testing to pay for Amir's hired assistant. Or we bring back Thomas and let him live in Amir's camper van. ;)

Turnaround for sales could be months :eek:

Valhalla

I suggest in order to avoid any fake selling thread, make this mandatory in forum rules to include at least one photo of the selling item with a piece of paper beside it with username and current date and something like "for Audio Science Review Forum" written on it. This way everyone will make sure the starter is actually selling a real item.

Take this for example. If I want to build an item like this.
photo_۲۰۲۱-۰۵-۰۱_۰۲-۳۵-۲۰.jpg

Katji

Major Contributor
I just saw the other post, I was going to say that [local] forum has a 50 post count rule for it. ...Once in a while some contention, questioning - the latest said "I'm not a chatterbox"...but that's it. Some of us won't even look at Gumtree or Fb Marketplace, they are full of scammers.

Note: Even more common, the scammers responding to Wanted ads.

There is also a mandatory format for ads...almost mandatory to include photo/s of actual item/s, but there are always the people who are apparently incapable of learning how to post photos, to put them on an image hosting site and then post them using the link/s. (Although they might be experts with hi-fi, of course.) :)

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Everyone,
Buyers. Pay with Paypal only, & using a Credit Card only. (Not a bank account)
Use the pay for goods/services option. You have PayPal protection that way & credit card protection.
Never the send money using the "to a friend option", and never ever use Venmoe.
Sellers you face risks as well. Unfortunately it us harder to protect yourself without requiring the buyer to give up some protections. And peeve of mine, pay your darn payment fees, dont ask the buyer to pay 3% PayPal. Eat the fee youself.
For valuable items use 3rd party Escrow & remember some escrow services are scams so research the entire situation when buying/selling those Salon 2's...

Zensō

Major Contributor
If possible, it would be good to implement an after-sale feedback system. Head-fi has this as well as a few well-regarded photography forums. It rewards good behavior while weeding out troublemakers. It seems to also discourage scammers.

This is a very well run buy-and-sell forum: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did someone have a problem? If so, and if ASR doesn't want the trouble just don't do buy and sell, other than maybe links to listings elsewhere.

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And peeve of mine, pay your darn payment fees, dont ask the buyer to pay 3% PayPal. Eat the fee youself.
This especially. Any ads that say buyer pays seller fees or to pay as gift, I move right on to legit ads. No way I am going to trust a seller that blatently up front breaks the Paypal rules he/she agreed to follow (AND on top of that asks the buyer to do the same); and no way am I going to give up ALL my Paypal buyer protections.

I've had buyers that unexpectedly Paypal an extra 3% over my asking price, because they think buyer paying seller fees is the norm. I just return the overpayment via gift :) .

guildenstern

Did someone have a problem? If so, and if ASR doesn't want the trouble just don't do buy and sell, other than maybe links to listings elsewhere.
I for one am glad that ASR has a buy-and-sell section. Through ASR ads, I've been part of two smooth and friendly transactions with knowledgeable people.

As a seller, I provide timestamped photos and links to my feedback on other sites, and use a PayPal invoice so that there will be an online record of each step of the transaction. As a buyer, I try to be careful--trust but verify!

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I for one am glad that ASR has a buy-and-sell section. Through ASR ads, I've been part of two smooth and friendly transactions with knowledgeable people.

As a seller, I provide timestamped photos and links to my feedback on other sites, and use a PayPal invoice so that there will be an online record of each step of the transaction. As a buyer, I try to be careful--trust but verify!
Also nice that you don't have ebay or wherever taking a cut. But on the other hand I can understand how it could become a headache for ASR if any transactions turn out sot so friendly as what you have experienced.

guildenstern

Also nice that you don't have ebay or wherever taking a cut. But on the other hand I can understand how it could become a headache for ASR if any transactions turn out sot so friendly as what you have experienced.
I now stay away from eBay for audio gear, after a couple of unsatisfactory purchases years go. Both sellers had a very loose interpretation of "mint" condition!

Jack B

Forum Donor
I would add a time requirement too. Not a long time. Maybe you have to be a member for 30 days. It won't stop a dedicated scammer from planning ahead, but it would help a little I think to weed out those who wouldn't bother waiting.
That sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom