• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing wired 7.1 system with wi fi system

Fseabeck

As simply as I can put this. I want to replace my old 7.1 surround system with something wireless. I want it sound as good as my old system and my benchmark for comparison will be the Eagles Hell freezes over Blu-ray DVD. I’m older and I have problems hearing clearly so this is the most important factor for me. Clarity and separation not loudness not low base. Tone for the instruments, and separation of voices for the vocals.
I can hear clarity better with earphones than most full-sized systems, again, probably due to my age.
any recommendation?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Are you asking for a wireless 7.1 system or just a wireless system? What is your budget?

OP
F

Fseabeck

Are you asking for a wireless 7.1 system or just a wireless system? What is your budget?
The best way I have of explaining it is that my wired system had 2 speakers behind me, and I could clearly hear those sounds sent to those speakers. AMAZING! I want to be able to heat that same separation on my wireless system. I really want to understand the budget required to accomplish this with a wireless system. I am asking how much it would cost, and what equipment would be

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Off topic but on point I ask if you are using parametric equalization (PEQ) at this time? If not you will benefit greatly from using a PEQ to adjust the response/sound. If on Windows install this and then install this and open the Peace Equalizer (All free software) and adjust for your best sound according to your needs. If on Mac then use this or this but not both. SoundSource offers a 20 minute timeout for trial purposes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't look like any are 7.1 but you can look thru these for one of the better wireless technologies so far https://www.wisatechnologies.com/speakers

Why do you need wireless speakers particularly? What's your budget? What's your current system/gear?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The best way I have of explaining it is that my wired system had 2 speakers behind me, and I could clearly hear those sounds sent to those speakers. AMAZING! I want to be able to heat that same separation on my wireless system.
That phenomenon is not dependent on whether the system is wired or wireless, merely that it functions properly.
I really want to understand the budget required to accomplish this with a wireless system. I am asking how much it would cost, and what equipment would be
There are 7.1 systems, some based on a soundbar, with wireless rear speakers for less than $1500 but, for me, they are inadequate. If you won't tell us your budget, why not tell us what you are replacing? :rolleyes:

OP
F

Fseabeck

I am replacing a 7.1 Yamaha receiver pushing 2 Klipsch tower speakers 2 Klipsch bookshelf speakers 2 Polk wall speakers mounted behind and a 300 watt powered subwoofer.
I am a little budget conscious so I would have to say under 4000 total investment in the new wireless system. Thanks for all the advice ….

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This would neatly fall within your budget:

… but what’s wrong with the current setup?

Last edited:

O Akroatís

Interesting topic this. In line with what the topic starter started. I have already started a topic New set speakers about my situation but I am left with my last question.
Is a combination of a wired system (LCR + sub-woofer + Dolby Atmos hight position) with 2 Denon Home-150 Heos speaker tunable to each other via an AVR-Marantz NR1710 (which has Audyssey® installation capability).

O Akroatís

Interesting topic this. In line with what the topic starter started. I have already started a topic New set speakers about my situation but I am left with my last question.
Is a combination of a wired system (LCR + sub-woofer + Dolby Atmos hight position) with 2 Denon Home-150 Heos speaker tunable to each other via an AVR-Marantz NR1710 (which has Audyssey® installation capability).
Nobody? No replays?

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am replacing a 7.1 Yamaha receiver pushing 2 Klipsch tower speakers 2 Klipsch bookshelf speakers 2 Polk wall speakers mounted behind and a 300 watt powered subwoofer.
I am a little budget conscious so I would have to say under 4000 total investment in the new wireless system. Thanks for all the advice ….
There are too many variables to give you a recommendation starting with your wireless setup and provider. Are you moving to another room that you can’t wire? It seems to me I’d replace your front speakers, then center channel before starting from scratch. Probably save a ton of money and might get you the clarity you are looking for. If you’re just looking for convenience and you are not critical listening there are a ton of Wi-Fi options with each brand trying to make you buy into their ecosystem. i still think if you are chasing windmills and want perfect sound wired is the way to go.

Top Bottom