• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Refreshing movies worth watching

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Wes Anderson's newest movie is not only gorgeous (as usual) but this time around, the story is quite personal and touching. Highly recommended!

Asteroidcity.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to watching this. I love Wes Anderson.
Watched it the other night. Truly bizarre and very entertaining and original at first...but it dribbled until the end. Fairly disappointing after a promising beginning. Loved the Technicolor vibe though.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
En Kärlekshistoria - A Swedish Love Story.

Mentioned by Hoyte van Hoytema in Zomergasten last Sunday as one of his favorite movies.

Shot in '69, I personally loved the timeless and universal feel it still seems to have.

posvibes

If it hasn't been mentioned I would like to recommend "The Tender Bar" with Ben Affleck and directed by George Clooney. The story is familiar, a coming of age film, that reminds me of so many other films, a kind of cross between the Paper Chase, Good Will Hunting, Before the Fall. It is directed with a light but sure touch, a great performance from Affleck, a few laughs along the way, working class kid makes good kinda thing. A Family with a single mother, a "mad" grandfather, a sister-brother relationship, Affleck is well cast as the smartest guy in the room that didn't quite make it.

For what it is, it is finely done, and the supporting cast do just great.

CapMan

Major Contributor
IMG_4718.jpeg
Ok - I am including this film I watched last night with my wife, mostly because

1. It is less than 90 minutes long and digestible after a long day at work

2. Billy Connolly is brill in it

3 The three kids in it are just hysterical - its like they were totally unscripted

So - no highbrow arts movie, but if you need to smile after a ****** day it may be for you and yours

I can already feel the scornful comments pouring in - sorry to let the side down :)

Pe8er

Forum Donor
Rosamund Pike in a comedy doesn't compute in my head, I'll watch it for this reason alone!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Les Vacances de monsieur Hulot aka "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" is an oldie but goodie, as are Mon Oncle and Playtime.
To be honest, I wasn't enthralled upon my first viewings, but the three movies have since become enduring favorites of mine. There really isn't much of a story, so much as a series of incidents unwittingly unleashed by Hulot.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hope I am not the only one noticing that hollywood product has sank down to just superhero movies and special effects. Or the junk, covid-era, low budget nonsense that would not even pass high-school drama class as far as acting and story line. I miss unusual, unique movies that made you sit up and admire the creativity, acting, cinematography, etc. We stop more movies at the start than we watch now despite having thousands available on demand! No, I am not talking about some artsy movie with subtitles either. Just fresh, pleasant entertainment.

So I thought I create a thread and post the few gems that are the exception in the above. Such was the movie, The Banshees of Inisherin. Here is a trailer that gives away some of the story so I suggest not watching it and just go and find the movie instead:

It is a story set in 1930s island off the coast of Ireland. It starts kind of strange and slow but picks up steam with cleaver and at times dark/funny dialog. Cinematography is near excellent with beautiful shots that suit the story. And the soundtrack is wonderful as well (available on Tidal). I suggest turning on the subtitles as the English accent (to me anyway) is quite authentic irish with local words that are unique there, making it hard to understand at times.

Rotten tomatoes score is 97% so critics agree with quality of the movie.

Set aside a couple of hours to enjoy this unusual movie and superb acting by Collin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson. And supporting cast as well.
Did you like this? I thought it was an epic failure. He took the cast from In Bruges (awesome film) and counted on their chemistry.

This film is about a man with VERY severe mental illness doing massive amounts of self harm. Why would Martin Mcdonagh even have made this film?

CapMan

Major Contributor
Did you like this? I thought it was an epic failure. He took the cast from In Bruges (awesome film) and counted on their chemistry.

This film is about a man with VERY severe mental illness doing massive amounts of self harm. Why would Martin Mcdonagh even have made this film?
If films were not made where lead characters had mental health issues and did harm, far fewer movies would have been made.

Even Snow White had a psychotic queen intent on murder …

Top Bottom