• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reducing Topping D10b power for THX 789 high gain mode

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just found out that to avoid clipping in high gain mode you can go over 2.1v with the DAC, so I'm trying to do the math to see how much to reduce it in the Topping control panel on the D10b balanced DAC on the THX 789 Amp. So far I think -7db might get it there, but would like to ask if anyone else has done this before and what setting will do the job. I might have gotten the D10s instead had I known, but it's just mentioned in the manual which of course you read only after buying it. The combination is stunningly clear though. I test a lot of headphones and needed high gain mode through the single ended plug when doing equalizing with a preamp reduction. The Hifiman HE400i with balanced cables and the Beyerdynamic DT880 250 sound especially nice on this combo. The DT1770 still sounds meh even on this pairing, but the Grado 325's are rock and roll for gaming, so accurate...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well having 7db above clipping as max isn't bad. You sometimes run into low level recordings which need a little boost.

Top Bottom