• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recording studios picture thread...

Jaxjax

Can we just have a thread on pictures of recording studios of the world without it spinning into the negative? Lets try...
krwx-regie-p.jpg
Kerwax

JohnnyAudio

This was my MIDI studio.
july22 001.JPG

Waxx

Major Contributor
I think historical studio's are also interesting to see, This is the infamous Basing Street studio from Island records (1969-1982) in 1975. This studio was used by Bob Marley, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music, Fairport Convetion, ... during that time. In 1982 the studio was sold.

studio-2-at-basing-street-studios-london.jpg

JohnnyAudio

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I think historical studio's are also interesting to see, This is the infamous Basing Street studio from Island records (1969-1982) in 1975. This studio was used by Bob Marley, Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Roxy Music, Fairport Convetion, ... during that time. In 1982 the studio was sold.

studio-2-at-basing-street-studios-london.jpg

what they did with Marley's stuff is incredible. They took the crude stuff and enhanced it to oblivion to make it perfect, and it still sounds like coming straight from Kingston.
production per excellence

stoo23

I think historical studio's are also interesting to see, This is the infamous Basing Street studio from Island records (1969-1982) in 1975
Yes, I agree :) I'm trying to find some good / useful Pics of the Studios I worked in :)

Love that Helios console in the Basing Street pic ,.. Drool ,... lol Mind you, those 3M machines are very cool too !! we had 2 x 16 track 3M's at one stage, fantastic machines.
Sadly, the old, original API at one of the studios I worked at and rewired etc, was eventually sold Back to America after it eventually closed down. :(
Shame really, it was a fantastic console and would have been nice to have kept it here.

Waxx

Major Contributor
what they did with Marley's stuff is incredible. They took the crude stuff and enhanced it to oblivion to make it perfect, and it still sounds like coming straight from Kingston.
production per excellence
I don't agree actually, the "crude stuff" recorded the jamaican way by Lee Perry is still better than the cleaned up versions from Island, prepared to be sold to the mainstream. But it's good they did not fuck it up like they did with so many other reggae songs "preparing for the mainstream". It still got the right vibe, that is the most important.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I don't agree actually, the "crude stuff" recorded the jamaican way by Lee Perry is still better than the cleaned up versions from Island, prepared to be sold to the mainstream. But it's good they did not fuck it up like they did with so many other reggae songs "preparing for the mainstream". It still got the right vibe, that is the most important.

I see where the charm is. They basically threw them in the studio hit play and let them do their thing, stopped play, and called it a day lol. very puristic indeed

Waxx

Major Contributor
I see where the charm is. They basically threw them in the studio hit play and let them do their thing, stopped play, and called it a day lol. very puristic indeed
Not really, the jamaican music is very produced to a certain sound. The raw tracks are sometimes also out there and sound very different than the end result after Lee Perry was done with it. Most later productions in the 1970's were also recorded by Lee Perry, but not at his own "Black Ark" studio, but at Randy's 17 studio and later at the Federal Studio (that Bob Marley bought and renamed Tuff Gong), but mixed by Island in their studio's (with sometimes overdubs) for the UK market. Lee Perry made always also jamaican mixes for the soundsystems. Some of those are also rereleased on cd ao digital formats recently. Bob always worked with Lee Perry, from his first release in 1963 at Studio One (where Lee Perry worked as producer in the 1950's and 1960's) to his death.

But the sound is "crude" because that works on the soundsystems in the ghetto's of Kingston of that day. That is the place where reggae was advertised to the public as official radio, even in Jamaica, did not play that "devilish rasta music". "Dreads" (rasta's) were still prosecuted at that time, and the last big killing raids of rasta's by the Jamaican police (the Coral Garden massacre) was only than a decade ago and there were still smaller raids, also on soundsystem dances in the ghetto's... This music was not made for typical hifi systems of that time as no one in the ghettos or the hills (their main public) could afford those. It was made to be played on big soundsystems in mono. It was often remixed (by Blue Beat, Trojan, Island, ....) for the UK and the international market, already since the early 60's.

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
But now back on topic. This is the legendaric Hansa Tonstudio in Kreuzberg, Berlin. The picture is old, but the studio still exist and is in a good shape.

The Hansa studio was founded in 1963, but had to move it's old permises and moved to this place, an old concert hall in 1974, that was used before only for classical and carabet recordings. When Hansa moved in pop became their main target and they wrote music history there with some of the best albums of Tangerine Dream, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Iggy Pop, U2, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Einsturzende Neubauten, Killing Joke, Boney M., Manic Street Preachers, R.E.M., Snow Patrol,... all done there. They still do classical recordings also btw...

HansaStudios079_puqzds.jpg

stoo23

You could had bought it:

;):):D yeah,.. right, with change for a Rolls Royce,.. ;)
I bet it went for 'A pretty penny' as they say.

The price offered for the API i mentioned was impossible to refuse it would seem.

Top Bottom