• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recording And Mixing Comparison

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

Mixed down a song today. I've gotten so many new headphones the past few weeks I finally hooked 4 to the recorder via a small headphone amp and 4 to the CD recorder through a different one.
I hooked the Sony MDR 7506, Beyerdynamic DT770, ATH M50X from the multitrack based on them being studio standards and Superlux HD 681 because the clarity is so great and it exposes problems other things like the M50X miss. But I kept them like this because the 4 hooked in the CD player, Shure SRH 440, Superlux 668, Samson SR 850 and Philips SPH 9500 lose the snare. In fact the drums in general. They are warm. But not dynamic enough. Regardless of RTINGS neutrality rating. My ears still get the final stay.

Now I just hope they AREN'T too low in the mix. But I have to believe people would not keep pushing the Sony, Beyer and Audio Technica if they misled them. Headphones are like politicians. You don't want to be lied to by them. Another reason I use the 681s for vocals. Even if they accent the bright side I can hear issues that sound perfectly smooth on the venerable M50X. I still have doubts about the Sennheiser Pro 280 but I will have to plug them in again and see how the snare sounds. They sound find through my Rokit 5 Gen 4 and Presonus monitors, but I wouldn't expect them to lose high mids. Supposedly snares are between 170 and 200hz.

Attachments

• 0 HeadphoneNeutrality.jpg
    0 HeadphoneNeutrality.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

Deleted member 60987

ATH M50X definitely isn't losing the snare. I still have M40X and they were punchy.

Attachments

• Drum Frequency.jpg
    Drum Frequency.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 48
OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Superlux is damn cheap
Yup. Fischer Price build, Hifiman sound. The Japanese are weird. Why not throw a little more at the build and charge a bit more? They are comfortable though.

Top Bottom