• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for small amplifiers

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I currently have an outlaw rr2160 which is quite good and has everything i need. However, I’ll be moving soon to a smaller apartment and the outlaw may be simply too big and heavy. So I’m looking for recommendations for smaller amps. Integrated would be nice but if I can also consider getting a external dac+preamp along with some Ice or hypex amps. i need two optical at minimum and one or two coax would be nice. The nad m10 would be nice but it’s outside my price range

i did try the yamaha wxa50 after amir reviewed it. Though the sound quality was as good as the outlaw (though with less power), i found the app to be constantly crashing and therefore returned it.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Emotiva PA-1 for small-ish monoblock power amps.
Thanks. And what preamp could i run them with ?

edit: forgot to mention, dont need phono. But a few inputs for chromecast, cd player and tv would be required.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The RR2160 is an all in one unit and it is going to be hard to find something smaller that is as good and moderately priced. It will have to be Class D to be compact. The Parasound New Classic 200 Integrated is my first thought of something that would work, but not sure if the $900 retail is out of your price range.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Panelhead

Forum Donor
I purchased several Micromega MyAmps recently. Used as a stereo they are about 5” x 5” and 3” tall. Weighs 1 kg. I also bridge stereo units for 120 watt Mono amp.
Has an ESS dac, nice digital controlled analog volume control, Bluetooth, subwoofer output, and remote. Also runs class AB using a single LM3886 per channel. Power supply is a resonant mode supply like several of the big boys.
They are available now for 279.95. Do not laugh, they play music and drive speakers well. Totally silent, very low noise floor.
Qobuz reviewed and did a tear down. Not to Amir or Wolf’s level of detail. But informative.
Using two as monos I do not know of an amp under 3,000.00 I like better.

bilzebubba

I purchased several Micromega MyAmps recently. Used as a stereo they are about 5” x 5” and 3” tall. Weighs 1 kg. I also bridge stereo units for 120 watt Mono amp.
Has an ESS dac, nice digital controlled analog volume control, Bluetooth, subwoofer output, and remote. Also runs class AB using a single LM3886 per channel. Power supply is a resonant mode supply like several of the big boys.
They are available now for 279.95. Do not laugh, they play music and drive speakers well. Totally silent, very low noise floor.
Qobuz reviewed and did a tear down. Not to Amir or Wolf’s level of detail. But informative.
Using two as monos I do not know of an amp under 3,000.00 I like better.

I thought I saw them at some Californian refurb website? Not Fryes?? Can't remember...Odd but cute looking little guys, though :)

Willem

Major Contributor
A lot depends on budget but if the budget is quite large an RME ADI-2 is very small. Since class D amps do not waste much energy you could potentially put a class D power amp out of sight and turn it on with a master slave power strip. The ADI is a bit too frugal for many power strips so you will need to add the consumption of something else such as a CCA.

Unclevanya

Hi, I currently have an outlaw rr2160 which is quite good and has everything i need. However, I’ll be moving soon to a smaller apartment and the outlaw may be simply too big and heavy. So I’m looking for recommendations for smaller amps. Integrated would be nice but if I can also consider getting a external dac+preamp along with some Ice or hypex amps. i need two optical at minimum and one or two coax would be nice. The nad m10 would be nice but it’s outside my price range

i did try the yamaha wxa50 after amir reviewed it. Though the sound quality was as good as the outlaw (though with less power), i found the app to be constantly crashing and therefore returned it.
My wxa-50 and the app work great. Do you need the app? You only use it if using the network streaming - otherwise using sources like the dac input the app need not be used.

I also have the NAD d3020 v2 which has no streaming and works well also.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Thanks for the pointers so far.

At this point I’m thinking of getting a used nuprime ida-16 or wyred4sound mint, or maybe a parasound new classic They use ice or pascal modules (i think) though I’d have preferred hypex. Really trying to keep it to one box for simplicity.

i also see a few nads for sale on usaudiomart but their non masters series seem to get average reviews.

Top Bottom