• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for IR Thermometer around $100 or so...

dutchboy

Forum Donor
I was wondering what you guys keep for thermometers in the tool box?
Non contact is fine, this is for things around the house and shop not people.
Seems like Fluke 59, and Klein dual laser are highly rated online at amazon.
Price isn't firm, it just trying to get fairly accurate well built unit not laboratory grade or anything.

Thanks,

OP
D

dutchboy

Forum Donor
OP
D

dutchboy

Forum Donor

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's wrong with the cheap models at 20/30$ ?
Do they have other chips ?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What's wrong with the cheap models at 20/30$ ?

Nothing.

I have an expensive (UEI) IR thermometer and several $14 ones from China.

The display, battery life, accuracy, and speed are all better in the cheap Chinese ones.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The cheap ones seem to work fine.

They come with different temperature ranges, so check that.

Unless you actually need (or just gotta have) a high precision device.

I'm happy with my ten-year old generic thing probably from The Country That Can No Longer Be Named In Polite Conversation.

1619138333094.png

1619138440811.png

Want to spend a lot?

I'd get one of these and a FLIR camera.

---

Surprise Measurement:

Go outside on a hot sunny day with blue sky and point it straight up.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was wondering what you guys keep for thermometers in the tool box?
Non contact is fine, this is for things around the house and shop not people.
If anything, your budget may be too generous!

Years ago when I went shopping for IR + laser thermometers, it seemed to me that the main difference between an inexpensive unit like my $13 Rosewill, and a pricier Fluke, was that the latter's specs showed that it maintained a tighter measurement spot over a greater distance. But for my day to day casual usage, such as ensuring my water was the right temperature for a good cup of tea, or for verifying my PC's CPU temperature, my Rosewill was great, and it was super-easy to use: Just squeeze the trigger to get an immediate reading, ideal for when you when you just want a quick temperature reading.

A couple of years ago, I bought the least expensive Flir imaging thermometer (<$300), and an example of where the thermal imager shines is when I built myself a new preamplifier, and it showed me unexpected details I might not have found on my own, such as a diode which was running considerably hotter than surrounding devices. But it requires a few extra seconds to boot up, and as a household tool, it's a bit esoteric. You want to know stuff like whether you're losing precious winter heat due to leaky windows, the $13 tool will tell you that.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The cheap laser ones work pretty well in my limited experience. I like the K probe in my multimeter too.

Destination: Moon

I have both, the cheap spot and a Flir. They are 2 different animals. Ones a camera that can save a thermal image that shows temps relative to each other. Useful for sensing and seeing hot spots and cold spots in building construction etc. It can see hot or cold areas that are left by pipes and ducts provided they conduct out to the walls

The spot sensor does just that. Tells you a the temperature of a surface. It works differently. It's more sensitive to the refractive index of the surface your measuring. When picking one look at the view angle. Some are wider angle and some narrower.

mansr

Major Contributor
For $100 more you can get an IR camera.
https://www.flir.com/products/flir-one-gen-3/
I have one of those (older model), and it comes in handy from time to time. As with any IR thermometer, the accuracy depends on the emissivity and reflectivity of the surface being measured. If all you're interested in is reasonable vs clearly too hot, that's usually not an issue, of course. What I don't like about IR spot thermometers is that you can't really tell what size the spot is, which makes them useful mainly for measuring the temperature of fairly large objects of mostly uniform temperature.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
What I don't like about IR spot thermometers is that you can't really tell what size the spot is, which makes them useful mainly for measuring the temperature of fairly large objects of mostly uniform temperature.

True. You have to move them around at close proximity until you get a reading that makes sense. But still, incredible for non-contact.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve been meaning to get one of these thermometers for checking HVAC function and other household stuff (though the camera looks awesome!). Like many ASR threads, this has been an instant education in a new topic. Thanks all!

OP
D

dutchboy

Forum Donor
^^^I agree.
I was hoping for a little input and received a education from the real world. This is great.
I just figured performance increased with price...but I definitely should have known better than that by now.
Thanks guys.

Truth is, the fan on my ac infinity on my denon really takes me out of the mood while listening to music at relaxing levels and reading.
I was curios to see just how hot it was getting with out the ac on top. If I leave the ac on top but shut fans off it still seems like it would restrict the heat flow up, so I thought I could just 'shoot it' from time to time and get an idea of wether or not I needed the fan for proper care of the reciever.

During movies of course I don't notice the ac with the sound and projector fan.

Destination: Moon

I have one of those (older model), and it comes in handy from time to time. As with any IR thermometer, the accuracy depends on the emissivity and reflectivity of the surface being measured. If all you're interested in is reasonable vs clearly too hot, that's usually not an issue, of course. What I don't like about IR spot thermometers is that you can't really tell what size the spot is, which makes them useful mainly for measuring the temperature of fairly large objects of mostly uniform temperature.

Oops, yup, reflectivity is the right word.

The simple measuring devices do have specs that tell you the diameter of the spot it's measuring at a couple given distances, so it's not like flying completely blind. But after a couple feet, most are measuring across a broad area

Last edited:
Top Bottom