• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

samwell7

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for users to request headphone recommendations, rather than having many separate threads.

Suggested format (sorry about formatting, I'm on mobile):

Budget: (in local currency and maybe USD)

Form factor: (e.g. over ear, on ear, IEM, open back etc.)

Use case: (e.g. casual listening while at work, critical listening etc.)

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant)

Things that are important to you: (e.g. comfort, portability, durability etc.)

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:

Anything else you feel might be relevant:

Please let me know your thoughts/make whatever adjustments you think will benefit the user-base.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

I'll start:
Requesting recommendations for two sets of cans

Budget: 500AUD/400USD

Form factor: both over ear, one open back and one closed back

Use case: both for casual listening while working

Source information: Either an apple USB C to 3.5mm adaptor or a Panasonic Receiver (has plenty of power). Mostly Spotify premium or lower quality (96kbps MP3) streamed radio.

Things that are important to you: Comfort for both, for the closed back set durability and portability is important to me as I'll probably take them to work when the office opens back up.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I'm leaving this open, I've always previously purchased headphones with a neutral/detailed FR as the goal but since I got a set of PortaPros they've shifted my world-view. I want something that I'll be able to listen to without fatigue.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: just returned my K702s (a little too bright) and K371s (lack of midbass lead to low engagement from me and not very comfortable for me).
I've still got a set of ATH-M50s and PortaPros and some IEMs (Etymotic MK5 and Rock-it sounds R-50), I've also got a set of Koss KSC75s and a parts express headband plus Yaxi pads on order.
Also I won't be using EQ.
My shortlist has K712 Pros, Philips X2HRs, Shure SRH440s and 840s, Sennheiser HD560S and CAL SEs but I'd love some more recommendations/feedback on the above-mentioned models.

boselover61

I'll start:

Source information: Either an apple USB C to 3.5mm adaptor or a Panasonic Receiver (has plenty of power). Mostly Spotify premium or lower quality (96kbps MP3) streamed radio.

Things that are important to you: Comfort for both, for the closed back set durability and portability is important to me as I'll probably take them to work when the office opens back up.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I'm leaving this open, I've always previously purchased headphones with a neutral/detailed FR as the goal but since I got a set of PortaPros they've shifted my world-view. I want something that I'll be able to listen to without fatigue.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: just returned my K702s (a little too bright) and K371s (lack of midbass lead to low engagement from me and not very comfortable for me).
I've still got a set of ATH-M50s and PortaPros and some IEMs (Etymotic MK5 and Rock-it sounds R-50), I've also got a set of Koss KSC75s and a parts express headband plus Yaxi pads on order.
My shortlist has K712 Pros, Philips X2HRs, Shure SRH440s and 840s, Sennheiser HD560S and CAL SEs but I'd love some more recommendations/feedback on the above-mentioned models.
Try akg n700nc m2. They use the harman curve but with more mid bass

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'll start:

Srh840 (headband not so comfortable but extremely accurate)
oppo pm3(discontinued hard to find but very good)
Hifiman Ananda (over bodget but new price in China is not far off)
Hd58x (good well rounded alternative to hd6xx series) I actually prefer 58x in many ways.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Hd58x (good well rounded alternative to hd6xx series) I actually prefer 58x in many ways.
Thanks!
I've been looking in to the SRH840 and the HD58x, I'll check out the other two, I had a HD600 years ago but sold it because I preferred the K702 (I think it might have been the soundstage on the HD600 that wasn't right)

JSmith

Master Contributor

boselover61

They look good! Can they be used with a wire and unpowered?
I have them hooked up to a Topping L30 now through a balanced adapter plug. They sound absolutely amazing. The mid bass that was lacking with the K371 I had before which had the same tuning is absolutely filthy with this headphone (N700 M2). Sub bass is still there, but I highly suspect it's the same tuning as the Galaxy Buds Pro which is Harman curve but with slightly boosted mid/high bass.

You can check out the tuning here. https://crinacle.com/2021/01/16/samsung-galaxy-buds-pro-review-the-audiophiles-perspective/

I have both the AKG N700 M2 and the Buds pro and they sound dead similar to me. I couldn't tell a difference at when played at an appropriate volume level.

OP
samwell7

samwell7

There is actually stock of these at a number of Australian AV stores, excellent price here @$440AUD for brand new considering 2nd hand on eBay is $400 - $500;

https://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/oppo-headphones-pm3-pm-3.html

This mob have them too, but $599AUD;

https://www.pacifichifi.com.au/products/oppo-pm-3-planar-magnetic-headphones

JSmith
Carlton AV are a good shop!
Sorry, I should've specified the ~$500 was for the two, so these might be a bit outside of my budget. With that being said I've added them to my list to research, thanks again

OP
samwell7

samwell7

I have them hooked up to a Topping L30 now through a balanced adapter plug. They sound absolutely amazing. The mid bass that was lacking with the K371 I had before which had the same tuning is absolutely filthy with this headphone (N700 M2). Sub bass is still there, but I highly suspect it's the same tuning as the Galaxy Buds Pro which is Harman curve but with slightly boosted mid/high bass.

You can check out the tuning here. https://crinacle.com/2021/01/16/samsung-galaxy-buds-pro-review-the-audiophiles-perspective/

I have both the AKG N700 M2 and the Buds pro and they sound dead similar to me. I couldn't tell a difference at when played at an appropriate volume level.
My wife has a set of Galaxy Buds Pros so I'll have a listen, thanks for this suggestion! It's something I would've never considered

OP
samwell7

samwell7

The ananda is minimum $999AU so that ones off the list unfortunately, the PM3 is also quite expensive.
Drop must've updated and it now ships to Australia, the HD58X is priced well so I'll look more into it. Thanks!

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll start:

- Bose QC25 (with noise canceling)
- Beyerdynamic DT150 using DT100 pads (perhaps not so comfortable/portable but good sounding)

OP
samwell7

samwell7

No wuckin' furries cobber... ;)

JSmith
Cheers cob!

Interestingly looking at Oppo PM3 alternatives I came across a headphone/brand I was fascinated with years ago, the Fostex T50 (now up to mk3) these are pretty fairly priced and look cool (imo) so I've added these to the list!

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
samwell7

samwell7

- Bose QC25 (with noise canceling)
- Beyerdynamic DT150 using DT100 pads (perhaps not so comfortable/portable but good sounding)
The bose are a bit exxy and I don't really need the active noise cancellation, the DT150s look awesome, I'll look further into them! Thanks

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Yeah, a decent option for the price, however keep in mind they need a bit of power;

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fo...nal-studio-headphones-semi-open.21489/reviews

Cheaper here than Amazon too if that is where you're looking;

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/fostex-t50rp-mk3-professional-semi-open-headphone

JSmith
Great reviews on that headfi link! I'd heard the stock comfort is pretty garbage but I don't mind changing pads.

I'm not too stressed about power, my receiver seems to have a fair bit of juice, with the K702s I'd listen at 18/50 but then again the K702s are pretty easy to drive.

Thanks for the AtA link, very good prices!

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The bose are a bit exxy and I don't really need the active noise cancellation, the DT150s look awesome, I'll look further into them! Thanks

The DT150 headphones are a bit bass heavy with its original pads, but very nice when using the DT100 pads. A bit trick to change but anyway, better.

Top Bottom