• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

Inazzab

I was going to say a HD600 but the soundstage on a HD650 is a bit better, I've found it to be a realistic sound. I'd suggest trying the HD600/HD650 if you can.

The AKG K702 responds very well to EQ but the soundstage may be a bit too big.

Fostex T50RP mk3 is also worth a try

Since the K712 Pro has a slightly smaller soundstage than the K702, while being technically superior, do you think those could be a better option? (I can get them for about 300$). Could the K7xx also be a good option?

Also, what would you say are the biggest differences between the 650/600 and K702/K712? Does one work better for a specific genre or recording style? And when do you prefer one over the other?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
OP
samwell7

samwell7

Since the K712 Pro has a slightly smaller soundstage than the K702, while being technically superior, do you think those could be a better option? (I can get them for about 300$). Could the K7xx also be a good option?

Also, what would you say are the biggest differences between the 650/600 and K702/K712? Does one work better for a specific genre or recording style? And when do you prefer one over the other?
Thanks again!
Yeah the K712 is definitely an improvement over the K702 although they're a lot more expensive in the US which is why I didn't originally suggest it. The treble was still a bit much for me on the K712. I don't think the K7xx is as good from some things I've read, I think it may use the K702 driver with K712 pads whereas the k712 has a different driver.

I haven't had a HD600 for a long time and my HD650 is very old, I think now the differences between them are quite minor as there have been some revisions, with the HD650 having a slightly more warm sound with a better (smoother) driver. I really enjoy the HD650 however I'm not listening critically any more, if I wanted as close to neutral as possible I'd probably go the HD600 whereas the HD650 is probably closer to accurate for most end-user listening environments (slightly more bass).

I listened to pretty much everything on all the cans when I had them except older metal, some older hip hop and some modern recordings were too harsh on the AKGs, especially cymbals so I couldn't listen to them (e.g. the version of Metallica's Black album on Spotify was too harsh).

If you can get a few and try them out that'd really be the only way.

Inazzab

Yeah the K712 is definitely an improvement over the K702 although they're a lot more expensive in the US which is why I didn't originally suggest it. The treble was still a bit much for me on the K712. I don't think the K7xx is as good from some things I've read, I think it may use the K702 driver with K712 pads whereas the k712 has a different driver.

I haven't had a HD600 for a long time and my HD650 is very old, I think now the differences between them are quite minor as there have been some revisions, with the HD650 having a slightly more warm sound with a better (smoother) driver. I really enjoy the HD650 however I'm not listening critically any more, if I wanted as close to neutral as possible I'd probably go the HD600 whereas the HD650 is probably closer to accurate for most end-user listening environments (slightly more bass).

I listened to pretty much everything on all the cans when I had them except older metal, some older hip hop and some modern recordings were too harsh on the AKGs, especially cymbals so I couldn't listen to them (e.g. the version of Metallica's Black album on Spotify was too harsh).

If you can get a few and try them out that'd really be the only way.

Thanks! This info is really useful!
Just to clarify, when you say that the K712s were harsh, is this before or after EQ?

OP
samwell7

samwell7

Thanks! This info is really useful!
Just to clarify, when you say that the K712s were harsh, is this before or after EQ?
I don't use EQ so all the impressions I have previously written are out of the box. The AKG K7 series respond well to EQ though!

Inazzab

I don't use EQ so all the impressions I have previously written are out of the box. The AKG K7 series respond well to EQ though!
In that case, both the HD6x0 series and K712 seem like great options, so I'll try to try them at a store before buying. Thanks for your help!

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
USA

Budget:
$500 USD, can go a bit higher, happy to buy used.

Form factor:
Over ear, closed. ANC is okay but not needed.

Use case:
Listening while programming, occasional critical listening.

Source information:
Spotify/FLAC on Win and Linux PC -> Equalizer APO -> SMSL SU-8 -> Topping L30. Willing to change the components but I think these are pretty good. I sold the THX 789 amp because it was just overkill for me.

Things that are important to you:
Some exterior noise reduction
Comfort for long sessions (8+ hours),
Prefer low distortion, soundstage and detail over bass
I listen at extremely low levels compared to most people. (Topping L30 on low gain, between 9 and 12 o'clock, with the 6XX)

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
I have the 6XX and like it, but it is getting a little boring.
I used the HD 595 for years at work; it may not sound great, but it weighs like 10 grams and was great for an office.
I tried the Hifiman 4XX and didn't like the sound; IIRC, very little bass.
Bose QC 35 V1, great for flights but the sound just felt very dead to me. I may try them again (still have them).

Anything else you feel might be relevant:
Wondering if I should just shell out for the Dan Clark something-or-other and call it good!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Budget: (in local currency and maybe USD) max €200,- less would be better

Form factor: (e.g. over ear, on ear, IEM, open back etc.) Over Ear, open back

Use case: (e.g. casual listening while at work, critical listening etc.) main usage at pc, listen to music from spotify at the moment, youtube, movies and gaming. Mostly at night but I want to be a bit aware of surroundings because of a little kid I want to hear if she gets up and starts crying.

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant) Loxjie D30

Things that are important to you: (e.g. comfort, portability, durability etc.) Comfort and durability are (of course) important to me. I like to be able to exchange cables. It would be nice if the headset would be able to get used occasionally onna cell phone, I have a portable little dac if necessary.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Until recently I had my first set of "real" headphones. The Philips fidelio x2hr. One of the hinges broke and I got a refund from Amazon. I liked the comfort though it was quite big. I'm no audio expert and liked the sound only thing I noticed after getting the Amp recently that my ears started to hurt a bit, or had some discomfort in my head sort to say from some music, more from higher tones.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: I have PEACE installed so it would be nice if a profile is available for the headphone eq. I also have a fidelio M2BT which I got second had. I was very disappointent of the fact there are no earpads to be found with the plastic ring on them and also no eq setting to be found anywhere (would be great if anyone did now)
Headphones I looked at: Sennheiser HD599, this one is occasionally discounted at Amazon for 99,-. Curious if it's a good deal? Als HD560s which I have read good things about. I also like the design of the AKG702 which fits in my budget. Only things I'm worrier about are that I have read online AKG has problems with a wire getting lose especially on the right ear up a lot. Supposedly it is possible to solder but that is not something I want to get into.

Hope to get some suggestions. Preferred to buy at Amazon because they are one of the easiest with warranty here in my experience.
If you're going to use EQ my vote goes to the K702, only reason I say 'if you're using EQ' is that the treble might be a bit much in its stock form as it's probably close in level to the X2HR although the treble on the K702 should be smoother.
@Robbo99999 has a good EQ profile for the K702 and it is soon going to be measured by Oratory who will come up with a standard EQ profile for it.

I can't comment on the longevity of the new Chinese-made models as I only had mine for around a month (returned it to buy a K712) but years ago I had one of the Austrian made versions which I used almost daily for 2-3 years without issue.

Edit: what is a sennheiser HD799? Did you mean HD700?
I've only just seen this thread samwell7. That's true, I have indeed sent off one of my K702 to Oratory for measuring, but at the moment the parcel is doing an unnecessary dance between countries according to the online parcel tracking! It should have arrived with Oratory by Monday latest according to the service I paid for, but alas. I always recommend the K702 if you're gonna EQ, as long as you're not a total bass head, but I think it does everything else really well, and notably with an excellent soundstage that is unrivalled amongst the headphones I've tried (albeit I've not listened to the fabled HD800s).....but the K702 does feel/seem unique from this perspective. Here's my EQ that is based on a measurement by Crinacle who uses a GRAS measuring device that is compatible with the Harman Curve (the EqualiserAPO file is also attached):
Crinicle K702 best measurement EQ (clear bass).jpg

Note: in the attached EqualiserAPO file you'll see some lines start with a #, those are deactivated filters, so don't re-enable those as I was experimenting with different filters, and I deactivated them rather than deleting them.

EDIT: re longevity of the K702, I had to resolder the two wires in the right earcup as the solder failed after around 2yrs after I bought it. I bought a solder kit for £16 and taught myself how to solder in an hour or two by watching YouTube videos....my soldering hasn't failed yet and it's been over 2yrs since I did it, so my soldering is lasting longer than the solder job they did at the AKG factory. I am quite technically minded & persistent so I can't guarantee that everybody would have success soldering wires in the K702.....it is something to bare in mind if you're considering buying the K702 as it seems anecdotally to be a quite common problem after a few years or less of ownership.

Attachments

• Crinicle K702 best measurement EQ Filters.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please provide me with suggestions

Budget: $200 (can be stretched to $300)

Form factor: Over ear, open back

Use case: Casual daily listening on desktop and portable.

Source information: Topping E30/Xduoo MT-602 Tube Amp, Topping Nx4

Things that are important to you: Comfort, big ear cups

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I use EQ(PEQ), sound signature can be warm and balanced, but dynamic and open with good soundstage

Anything else you feel might be relevant: Have owned Sennheiser's before and Hifiman HE4xx and definitely looking to branch away from the house sound of Sennheiser. Have explored buying Fostex T50rp mk3.

Last edited:

zura

Budget: $200 - $500 max

Form factor: over-ear, wired, closed back

Use case:
will be used on desktop at home. I enjoyed the music, and some gaming.

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant) Sound BlasterX G6

Things that are important to you: sound quality!!!!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Budget: $200 - $500 max

Form factor: over-ear, wired, closed back

Use case:
will be used on desktop at home. I enjoyed the music, and some gaming.

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant) Sound BlasterX G6

Things that are important to you: sound quality!!!!
How about the Dan Clarke headphone that Amir reviewed here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/
That's $500 and was one of the most impressive headphones to Amir. I think you might want to use EQ with it for best results, and I'd probably recommend the AKG K371 if you're not gonna use EQ which was also reviewed by Amir here, it's also a lot less expensive: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please provide me with suggestions

Budget: $200 (can be stretched to $300)

Form factor: Over ear, open back

Use case: Casual daily listening on desktop and portable.

Source information: Topping E30/Xduoo MT-602 Tube Amp, Topping Nx4

Things that are important to you: Comfort, big ear cups

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I use EQ(PEQ), sound signature can be warm and balanced, but dynamic and open with good soundstage

Anything else you feel might be relevant: Have owned Sennheiser's before and Hifiman HE4xx and definitely looking to branch away from the house sound of Sennheiser. Have explored buying Fostex T50rp mk3.
AKG K702 based on my experience of it's soundstage being very unique, also resolving detail very well & with great tonality when EQ'd. Solder fails on wires in earcup though after a couple of years, so you'll either want to be open to learning how to use a solder iron or live with the real possibility that it might fail within 2 yrs. I fixed mine using a solder iron (£16) and my solder hasn't failed for over 2 yrs now. I'm using an EQ I created from a measurement by Crinacle, which was done on a bonafide GRAS rig that is compatible with the Harman Curve....I've also sent my K702 off to Oratory for measurement and hoping it's not gonna be denied at customs this time.

(I've got your HE4XX and also your HD600, I also have NAD HP50).

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AKG K702 based on my experience of it's soundstage being very unique, also resolving detail very well & with great tonality when EQ'd. Solder fails on wires in earcup though after a couple of years, so you'll either want to be open to learning how to use a solder iron or live with the real possibility that it might fail within 2 yrs. I fixed mine using a solder iron (£16) and my solder hasn't failed for over 2 yrs now. I'm using an EQ I created from a measurement by Crinacle, which was done on a bonafide GRAS rig that is compatible with the Harman Curve....I've also sent my K702 off to Oratory for measurement and hoping it's not gonna be denied at customs this time.

(I've got your HE4XX and also your HD600, I also have NAD HP50).
Good thing is I solder for a living (clinical engineer) and I’ve soldered and modified a few headphone drivers so that’s a safe bet. I’ll look at the 702’s. Hopefully crinacle measure your headphones, we would benefit a lot from it.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thing is I solder for a living (clinical engineer) and I’ve soldered and modified a few headphone drivers so that’s a safe bet. I’ll look at the 702’s. Hopefully crinacle measure your headphones, we would benefit a lot from it.
Excellent, an even better choice the K702 would be considering you're a soldering professional....in my eyes it's the only downside of the headphone. If I'm being critical the other imperfection is that it's not optimal to EQ the bass all the way to Harman levels down to 20Hz because my listening tests suggest it can't handle it (subtle not disastrous effect), but that's really the same for any dynamic driver in an open backed headphone....it does respond better to bass EQ than the HD600 though, so there's a point of comparison for you. You quoted you wanted comfort & large earcups, the K702 certainly has both of those, along with the other plus points I mentioned in my last post.

Ah, I'm not sending my K702 to Crinacle, I'm sending it to Oratory. Crinacle has already measured the K702, and I'm using my own EQ based on his measurement, however I want Oratory to measure the headphone too both as another data point, but also because Oratory provides EQ's too....so I'll have an extra data point on which to do both my own EQ's based on the measurement as well as the option of using Oratory's EQ too.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent, an even better choice the K702 would be considering you're a soldering professional....in my eyes it's the only downside of the headphone. If I'm being critical the other imperfection is that it's not optimal to EQ the bass all the way to Harman levels down to 20Hz because my listening tests suggest it can't handle it (subtle not disastrous effect), but that's really the same for any dynamic driver in an open backed headphone....it does respond better to bass EQ than the HD600 though, so there's a point of comparison for you. You quoted you wanted comfort & large earcups, the K702 certainly has both of those, along with the other plus points I mentioned in my last post.

Ah, I'm not sending my K702 to Crinacle, I'm sending it to Oratory. Crinacle has already measured the K702, and I'm using my own EQ based on his measurement, however I want Oratory to measure the headphone too both as another data point, but also because Oratory provides EQ's too....so I'll have an extra data point on which to do both my own EQ's based on the measurement as well as the option of using Oratory's EQ too.
Sorry about mixing up Crinacle and Oratory. :facepalm:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Reinhold

Budget: 2000$

Form factor: open over ear

Use case: casual listening

Source information: Massdrop THX

Things that are important to you: comfort

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones: HD600/650

Anything else you feel might be relevant: should be an upgrade over the Sennheisers with less distortion

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Budget: 2000$

Form factor: open over ear

Use case: casual listening

Source information: Massdrop THX

Things that are important to you: comfort

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones: HD600/650

Anything else you feel might be relevant: should be an upgrade over the Sennheisers with less distortion
For open backed, I think you can't get much better than Sennheiser HD800s. I've not tried that headphone, but by all accounts the soundstage is unique, which I believe because I have a pair of K702 which is also unique in it's great soundstage which I've found to be the case when comparing against my other headphones....K702 often has the reputation of being a baby brother to the HD800s in terms of soundstage. You'll need to EQ that headphone though, the HD800s. My one reservation with the HD800s and pretty much all open back dynamic headphones is that the bass has increased distortion when EQ'd, and is probably the weak point of these types of headphone. I don't really like the looks of the frequency responses of planar headphones to recommend them, even though their strength is low distortion in the bass whilst still being open backed headphones.......those frequency responses are just too jagged to be able to fix (lots of fine grass jaggedness that I think could negatively influence the sound, as well in some cases some unfixable deep sharp dips). I think HD800s is as good as you can get with an open backed headphone, I'd be interested to compare it against my K702 when both are EQ'd to the Harman Curve, so be aware I'm recommending a headphone I've not listened to, but it gets very good reports.

Top Bottom