• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Wow, amazing how mid-fi preamp and source make anything after it sound much the same, much like testing while wearing earplugs.

How about this one?: http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_ppec.htm

The room and the speakers is where the actual differences are. Looking for flaws in the source is like running a toxicology test on a man with a gunshot wound.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I hope you find sex more engaging and are not multitasking then too.

There's going to be a "your mum" joke coming your way. I wouldn't bring sex into it.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Something about how both "objectivists" and "subjectivists" can get caught up in a mindless chase for "perfection" :facepalm:
If they're looking for an X-Ray machine, I'm afraid they've come to the wrong place.

This is abuse.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
In that case, you need to do it triple blind rather than just double blind.

I'm willing to go through as many trials as required for valid data...

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ha! Somewhat related... I haven't tested it *blindly* but I swear my beer tastes better when I drink it from a glass than straight from the can in which I bought it.
Drinking it from a glass with it's wide opening gives your nose a better chance of getting the smell of the beer than through the small opening of the can, and will give you a better sense of the aroma and taste of the beer.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Drinking it from a glass with it's wide opening gives your nose a better chance of getting the smell of the beer than through the small opening of the can, and will give you a better sense of the aroma and taste of the beer.
Chug! Chug! Chug!

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I could pass a blind test easily on a high resolution system. I find it a waste of time and effort for the most part because differences are so obvious, and if they are not obvious, then I choose the component based on other factors like functionality and price.
So all this talk and basically you refuse to do any controlled listening. This is even after the specific SPDIF "filter" you told us was necessary was tested and proven to basically do nothing. It may even be detrimental.

I'm not going to waste any more time on ignorant people wishing to stay that way.
I think that's best for everyone. There are plenty of other forums where audio magic discussion is encouraged.

Digital conversion, circuit design, and digital filtering is so much more complicated than you can imagine. If you want to live a simple life and choose products based on S/N, keep at it. But something seems to be wrong with it as you seem to spend more time writing on the computer spouting noise instead of engaged with music.
It's common for people who want to promote snake oil or audio voodoo to attempt to sow doubt and claim that audio science is a mystery. It makes you very transparent.

Last edited:

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I could pass a blind test easily on a high resolution system. I find it a waste of time and effort for the most part because differences are so obvious, and if they are not obvious, then I choose the component based on other factors like functionality and price. I'm not going to waste any more time on ignorant people wishing to stay that way. Digital conversion, circuit design, and digital filtering is so much more complicated than you can imagine. If you want to live a simple life and choose products based on S/N, keep at it. But something seems to be wrong with it as you seem to spend more time writing on the computer spouting noise instead of engaged with music.

Most of the people you're talking down to are engineers with extensive backgrounds in the field.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, amazing how mid-fi preamp and source make anything after it sound much the same, much like testing while wearing earplugs.

Folks, Garbage in - Garbage out as we said in the computer field.

This should be instructive as a cause of audionervosa - without a low noise, high resolution source, nothing down the line makes much of a difference no matter how many times you swap one thing for another. DACs with wonderful specs are great, but often the data source going into them needs to be cleaned up, except for the few DACs which do the cleanup (dejitter/reclocking) internally. Another source is power, and that needs to be clean to achieve the highest resolution too.

Glad I wasn’t taking a sip of my wine here when I read this.

You just keep asserting things that are entirely unsupported with controlled test evidence, as if your assertions make them true. They are not. And, btw, it ain’t “few” DACs. Any DAC with a USB input should deal with incoming jitter (which is also typically at an inaudible level) quite nicely.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I could pass a blind test easily on a high resolution system. I find it a waste of time and effort for the most part because differences are so obvious, and if they are not obvious, then I choose the component based on other factors like functionality and price. I'm not going to waste any more time on ignorant people wishing to stay that way. Digital conversion, circuit design, and digital filtering is so much more complicated than you can imagine. If you want to live a simple life and choose products based on S/N, keep at it. But something seems to be wrong with it as you seem to spend more time writing on the computer spouting noise instead of engaged with music.

No you couldn’t. I’ve offered $10k to charity (with additions from others on this site) for someone to do this and never had any takers. You have false bravado.

VintageFlanker

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Congratulations! You just won the ASR Troll Award - season 2020!. Cheers!:cool:

RIP Thomas...:facepalm:

Last edited:
Top Bottom