• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on your logic, if I want to use the DAC only for listening to music, as all those SIX DACs you listed sound EXACTLY THE SAME, one should be absolutely CRAZY and/or STUPID to pay $10,000 for a MOLA MOLA or $2,000 for a MATRIX AUDIO X or even $699 for a Topping D90, when a Sabaj D5 for just $500 sound exactly the same.

Who in his right mind would like to pay $8,000-9,000 for a MOLA MOLA DAC? Are bragging rights that expensive!?
Yeah, basically. I mean there might be some feature differences. Maybe one can put out higher voltage than another. Maybe there's a prettier case here or there. But perhaps you are realizing now that if the dac ain't broken physically or in design, it probably sounds identical to the next dac. Sinad limit of a cd is only 96db, and cds can sound awesome.

Wombat

Master Contributor
When I'm not on ASR I'm a priest in charge of 5 rural parishes in the UK. We've really felt the lack of singing and church music, although one of my churches has a little choir that has been able to sing due to previous relaxations in UK law.

I had to tell our congregations today that we'll be "closed" for worship for the next 4 weeks (including Remembrance Day) due to the new UK lockdown.

Music (listening and performing) has such a therapeutic effect and (regardless of one's own beliefs) churches and cathedrals are often repositories of musical richness.

PS - I'm adamantly opposed to "shoehorning" religion into any of our threads and will be the first to call out others who do. Music, on the other hand (secular/religious/whatever) - I'll shoehorn away!

A friend is in a choir that is using Zoom to keep them singing together during lockdown. It keeps the group active. :)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
A friend is in a choir that is using Zoom to keep them singing together during lockdown. It keeps the group active. :)
Ours is, as well. We've also been doing multi-site singers via video music "mashups" and live hybrid worship services (outside with social distancing + Zoom), with yours truly running the board on site (imagine that?).

is there such a thing as Zoom confession?

No confession, but we have been doing virtual communion. Not a "high church" denomination ;)
Our last hybrid service was a week ago - 37 degrees (Fahrenheit, that is, so a little above zero C).
Back to Zoom only for the long, dark, cold New England winter (at least through the end of the year).

DSC_0958 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Our combined "live" + Zoom attendance has been up from our usual weekly attendance (especially on a chilly October morning!).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Recently someone cited a test of degradation from analog-to-digital conversion (and back), suggesting blind testing had shown transparency to 5 layers(??). Could you post that again? I can’t seem to search it. Needed for troll weaponry elsewhere.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

peanuts

If the Hegel H20 costs $6000 for 200W/channel it better sounds rich. Because after buying this I won't be rich anymore. :rolleyes:
funny, its less than 4 grand here in scandinavia. maybe they jack up the prices to be taken more seriously on the high-end market

Top Bottom