• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for MOST DETAILED, ANALYTICAL, X-RAY - 3D HOLOGRAPHIC DAC available?

insoc

Hello. I love detailed and analytical "sounding" DACs. The kind of DAC that let you examine your music like if it was an X-RAY machine. The one that does not left any subtlety or sound behind or left and that reproduce it the way it sounds in real life, that's it, in the most possible precise and exact way. I'm heading towards the CHORD QUTEST but would like to know if there is one better. My AMPS are a NAD M22 V2 and a PRIMALUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM HP with ATC SCM7 speakers and REVEL M106 speakers. Thank you very much!!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a clue what's happening to this forum...

Joke aside: any transparent DAC would do what you're looking for. Starting with the D10S. If you really wanna spend more for peace of mind: Matrix X-Sabre Pro, SMSL SU9, M400, Topping D90, Okto Stereo, ADI-2 DAC, Qutest, Tabaqui and so on.;)

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Topping d90 seems a good deal for analytical (distortion free) preformance. However chord will hold value better and likely have better long term service back up if somthing goes wrong.

BillH

Forum Donor
I find it hard to believe this is a genuine inquiry.
Transparent is transparent - everything else is noise, distortion or gobbly-gook

StefaanE

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Go for the Okto DAC 8 stereo (https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm). It was reviewed here on ASR and it’s excellent, with the added advantage that it includes a Raspberry Pi for streaming. Plus, you support a nice chap in the Czech Republic.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Last edited:

carnagymelton

Hello. I love detailed and analytical "sounding" DACs. The kind of DAC that let you examine your music like if it was an X-RAY machine. The one that does not left any subtlety or sound behind or left and that reproduce it the way it sounds in real life, that's it, in the most possible precise and exact way. I'm heading towards the CHORD QUTEST but would like to know if there is one better. My AMPS are a NAD M22 V2 and a PRIMALUNA DIALOGUE PREMIUM HP with ATC SCM7 speakers and REVEL M106 speakers. Thank you very much!!

According to the majority of regulars here, you cannot beat the sound that comes out of a Topping E30 ($120). I have no idea if its true or not, but if it is, it would be a terrible waste of money to pay for a Chord, I suppose. I have the Topping E30 and I think it sounds very nice, but I have not compared it to an expensive DAC. Maybe get both and do a blind test.

sq225917

Major Contributor
The issue with this site is that no effort is made to correlate measurement with what we perceive we hear. Theres no wider endeavour, and measurements are only half the story. There's blind acceptance that a limited set of steady state measurements of sufficiently low value completely define audibility and a total dismissal of anything that doesn't parallel that narrative.

While I largely align with that view, blind and level matched ab tests of nc400 and mod86p amps, with figures that are beyond reproach, has shown clearly audible differences that on the face of it the numbers don't support, but the confidence intervals don't lie...

carnagymelton

The issue with this site is that no effort is made to correlate measurement with what we perceive we hear. Theres no wider endeavour, and measurements are only half the story. There's blind acceptance that a limited set of steady state measurements of sufficiently low value completely define audibility and a total dismissal of anything that doesn't parallel that narrative.

While I largely align with that view, blind and level matched ab tests of nc400 and mod86p amps, with figures that are beyond reproach, has shown clearly audible differences that on the face of it the numbers don't support, but the confidence intervals don't lie...

Perhaps that is why so many here are afraid or at best non-interested in ABX tests? The very tests that put the debate to rest don't exist and I find that odd. But by pointing that out disturbs the hornets nest and you get labelled as against math and science, etc., and all sorts of minions come out of the woodwork trying to put an end to the discussion. At least I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The issue with some contributors on this site is that they make little/no effort to correlate what they hear/perceive, with tests/measurements or validated references.

Last edited:
OP
I

insoc

I find it hard to believe this is a genuine inquiry.
Transparent is transparent - everything else is noise, distortion or gobbly-gook

Well maybe I'm such an ignorant and believe what many reviews and websites state that, DACs indeed sound different between each other. At least I have find out the my Topping E30 sounds different than my Chord Mojo...

OP
I

insoc

According to the majority of regulars here, you cannot beat the sound that comes out of a Topping E30 ($120). I have no idea if its true or not, but if it is, it would be a terrible waste of money to pay for a Chord, I suppose. I have the Topping E30 and I think it sounds very nice, but I have not compared it to an expensive DAC. Maybe get both and do a blind test.

Actually I do have an E30 and my Chord Mojo sounds clearer and provides a wider soundstage, instrument separation, and 3D image...

OP
I

insoc

Topping d90 seems a good deal for analytical (distortion free) preformance. However chord will hold value better and likely have better long term service back up if somthing goes wrong.

I like TOPPING DACs and I don't really care about warranties because I don't live in the US so I would not get a warranty for the QUTEST either. I like the sound of my Topping E30 but no better than the sound of my Chord Mojo... Maybe comparing how good is the D90 versus the E30 would give me a light...

carnagymelton

Actually I do have an E30 and my Chord Mojo sounds clearer and provides a wider soundstage, instrument separation, and 3D image...

Interesting. And why are you considering other DACs? Are you trying to better the Mojo, or is this for another setup?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't have a clue what's happening to this forum...

Another newbie Troll or doesn't she/he understand low(est) distortion/accurate.?

It's getting almost discouraging. I believe we are now down to our host as the only moderator as well.

Wish that kiddie pool idea had gotten off the ground...getting harder to wade through it.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Do you have a link to this please?

Top Bottom