• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation for IEM Under $200 with good Isolation?

Urushi

I am looking for an IEM with good isolation that I can use for listening to EDM music and for editing audio. They will plug directly into my computer or phone. I used to have the SE535 LTDs which I liked I also liked the SE846.

How are the new Chinese IEMs. It seems like the whole landscape has changed a lot in 10 years. What would you recommend in the $200 and under price range. I heard the Hexa and Moondrop Aria are supposed to be good.

ocinn

I don't think anything is beating the etymotic ER(x) line for isolation right now. I have ER4XRs, many people here have the same, and the lower 2 and 3 models.

If absolute bleeding edge isolation isn't necessary, get the Hexa's (still great iso) and never need to buy another IEM.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Truthear Zero and Hexa, the Zero is better for music, but the Hexa is tuned for gaming or music, but it's not nearly as good if music is the only thing you'll use it for. Even with the Zero you can game with it if you do an EQ filter to lower below 120hz or so. The Letshoer S12 is very good but needs an amp/dongle, a phone will never cut it. Most of the low ohm IEM's really need more current than a phone has to shine. I just ordered a Linsoul 7HZ Timeless (which you can get in budget on eBay) today and can't wait to try it. I'd start with the Truthear Zero and a $9 Apple adapter, so easy having something tuned perfect out of the box, no equalizing will be needed, just a wee bit of extra power.

markanini

Major Contributor
Most IEMs are passive vented designs with moderate isolation. Then there's the unvented bullet designs, of which Etymotic uses deep insertion, and this solves some fit and FR consistency issues that comes with unvented designs. It's also causes discomfort for some users.
If you liked the SE846 some Moondrop models do get close when measured.
1683622162539.png

Using a Moondrop KXXX as a stand in for Aria, both similar 1DD designs.
1683622622930.png

Last edited:
OP
U

Urushi

If I use something like a Qudelix-5K would you recommend different IEMs?

OP
U

Urushi

I could also bump up my budget to $500

asrUser

Best isolation would be an Etymotic or you go for TWS with ANC.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup as others have said- no other IEM get close to Ety ER series for isolation in my experience. If they are well fitted. Which means a sensation many wont like for hours on end.

If you are willing to try TWS the JBL Club Pro+ can be had cheap and have ANC- plenty of bass too.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What would you recommend
The Truthear Zero is what I recommend, forget price point, they mean nothing. The Truthear Zero delivers very high objective performance and play beautiful music.
Read the review from Amir.

Chyżwar

I still use the Aonic 215. They're not the best for "analytical listening", but they give great isolation, I can even use them on the subway. The Etymotic ER2XR also gives great isolation (and better sound), unfortunately the "microphone effect" is a problem.

I've tried a lot of Chinese IEMs including Moondrop, Fiio, Truthear and unfortunately the isolation isn't that good. These are more like IEMs for home use, if that makes sense :)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've tried a lot of Chinese IEMs including Moondrop, Fiio, Truthear and unfortunately the isolation isn't that good. These are more like IEMs for home use, if that makes sense
Totally agree. All the ones I've tried, not ideal for either movement /exercise or loud environments.

markanini

Major Contributor
To put things in perspective, the isolation of common vented designs, like popular Chinese IEMs, is comparable to that of a closed back around-ear. No extreme isolation, but not something you would want to wear in traffic.

Top Bottom