• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEM for gaming (competetive/esport)

kysa

You could try using EQ software like Equalizer APO to boost the frequency range of footstep sounds to make them stand out from the mix.

EQ approach isn't ideal since it adds additional input lag.

Attachments

• sample.png
    sample.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 87

markanini

Major Contributor
EQ approach isn't ideal since it adds additional input lag.
1. Input lag relates to user input ie keyboard and mouse. These don't interact with audio output.
2. IIR EQ, all you need for headphones, should run real-time on a modern CPU, less than 30 years old approximately.

kysa

1. Input lag relates to user input ie keyboard and mouse. These don't interact with audio output.
I'm not quite sure why this terminology is irrelevant in the case of audio, if equalization does add a delay to the audio input. If you know another term to describe this kind of audio processing effect, please tell me what it is. And you know exactly what I meant, so this remark seems doubly inappropriate to me.

2. IIR EQ, all you need for headphones, should run real-time on a modern CPU
Fair enough.

Attachments

• IIR.png
    IIR.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 53

markanini

Major Contributor
I'm not quite sure why this terminology is irrelevant in the case of audio, if equalization does add a delay to the audio input. If you know another term to describe this kind of audio processing effect, please tell me what it is. And you know exactly what I meant, so this remark seems doubly inappropriate to me.
You don't make sense. Read up on the terms and their correct application, if wish to have a meaningful discourse with others.

BTW, here is the audio latency in Equalizer APO, with built-in EQ functions activated:
1685203984090.png

kysa

markanini

Major Contributor
Sure, let's call it latency. English isn't my first language.
Your English is fine, like a B or a A level. It's just that you keep using terms like input very, very loosely, like the literal opposite. So I have no idea if you understand the concept behind it. I'm not a mind reader unfortunately. BTW English isn't my first language, either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom