• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend toslink cable for 24/192

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The signal coming out of the source is 'the same' for coax and TOSLINK.
Both SPDIF (which is an encoding method to transmit both data and clock combined over 1 'connection' which can be pulled apart again on the receiver side.
Coax is an electrical version and TOSLINK in optical.

Coax can easily reach much higher frequencies (bitrates) than optical (1mm POF) so it is not weird that the coax input works fine and the optical input isn't.
For the coax the maximum bitrate depends on the proper cable and impedance matching at both transmitter and receiver side as well as the bandwidth of both the transmitter and receiver.
For optical it depends on the optical damping + receiver + light output level of the transmitter.

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

Thanks @solderdude for the explanation.
Anyhow, I am happy now with the coax output.
To be honest, it is more convenient like this because the optical input of my D50s is used for TV connection.
For my PC I have a TOSLINK to COAX converter if I want to use the optical output.
The caveat is that I don't have an SPDIF bracket and I had to adapt the cable to be directly inserted in the motherboard SPDIF header (I am using a 2 pins connector for that).

BitPerfect_

I've found something interesting being in your situation.
Zac Toslink Optical made by Supra in Sweden, and they specify High band width, guaranteed for 32 bit/384 kHz! - Headroom for coming digital studio-like formats.

I didn't find yet any other cable brand in this price range to have the bandwidth specified.
There are all the chances to be 24/192 if not 32/384 kHz.
A short review here

MaxRockbin

I've found something interesting being in your situation.
Zac Toslink Optical made by Supra in Sweden, and they specify High band width, guaranteed for 32 bit/384 kHz! - Headroom for coming digital studio-like formats.

I didn't find yet any other cable brand in this price range to have the bandwidth specified.
There are all the chances to be 24/192 if not 32/384 kHz.
A short review here
I don't know anything about this vendor except that they appear to ship to the US ($10 ship) and there prices are lower than some others. Out of stock on 1 & 2M lengths. $45 for 4M + ship.
https://us.maxgaming.com/us/audio-cables/zac-toslink-optical-4m

BitPerfect_

Supra it’s not a ‘no name‘ in EU. Maybe others could confirm.
On the other hand, I’m not saying that this should be the one, I was surprised to see the declared specs.

Last edited:

smoorenc

I just want to thank those who wrote this up. I had a monster and generic optical toslink interconnect. My Schiit DAC accepts 192K and my audio chip said it output 192K. I googled and found this page. I ordered a JIB BoaAcoustic HiFi Optical Audio Cable and it worked! So not all Optical cables are made the same it looks like. What you all said... :) Thanks!! Scott

BitPerfect_

So not all Optical cables are made the same it looks like. What you all said...
I don't know what to say about that, I've tested some cheap optical cables and all works like a charm 24/192 from streamer to DAC.
So getting back to the subject, imho it looks like optical cables nowadays (not so sure if all but still... ) are made of decent materials capable of 24/192, this is my explanation.

DonR

Major Contributor
I don't know what to say about that, I've tested some cheap optical cables and all works like a charm 24/192 from streamer to DAC.
So getting back to the subject, imho it looks like optical cables nowadays (not so sure if all but still... ) are made of decent materials capable of 24/192, this is my explanation.
Yep. My cheap $13 DAC does 24/192 from my 11-year-old PC just fine using the bundled Toslink cable.

BitPerfect_

For me it was hard to believe at first reading different pages and articles but believe it or not, a cheap optical it works fine 24/192.
Of course, some will mention about jitter but ..could be this jitter audible in optical cable!?

Maybe if there is someone who made an A-B oscilloscope test could tell.

DonR

Major Contributor
For me it was hard to believe at first reading different pages and articles but believe it or not, a cheap optical it works fine 24/192.
Of course, some will mention about jitter but ..could be this jitter audible in optical cable!?

Maybe if there is someone who made an A-B oscilloscope test could tell.
Jitter hasn't really been an issue for 2 decades now. It takes a surprisingly large amount for even the most trained ears to pick up.

Offler

Jitter hasn't really been an issue for 2 decades now. It takes a surprisingly large amount for even the most trained ears to pick up.
I have been reading a lot of gruesome stories, how horrible TOSLINK adds to the jitter. And then I checked the docs for the DAC in my amplifier, to found out that they fixed it with digital buffer and more accurate clock... And the article where they advertised this as a new feature was already 23 years old.

Top Bottom