• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCF Mytho data quest

q3cpma

Major Contributor
all-large.jpg

Hello, I'm making this thread to gather data about this interesting and very rare speaker. The highlights and specs include:
* True active 200 W + 100 W class AB design
* Dedicated DSP processing (only for the crossover and dip switch EQ features)
* 6.5" / 8" neodymium ICC vented woofer (quite rare to see neo magnets in monitors that usually try to reduce the BOM)
ICC
‘Mytho’ woofers feature a unique ‘Impedance Control Coil’ technology: a secondary coil
wound on the loudspeaker yoke and driven in opposite phase to the primary coil has the
function of cancelling the primary coil inductance, increasing the speaker sensitivity and
reducing the loudspeaker distortion.
A primary effect of this technology is the improvement of the temporal behaviour of
the loudspeaker, improving the crossover transition from the woofer to the tweeter and
resulting in incredible midrange accuracy and perfect phase linearity.
* 1" aluminum dome tweeter
* Constant directivity wave-guide
* Die cast aluminum cabinet
* Reflection free cabinet design
* Low distortion reflex port
* A fun dip switch with the positions 'Linear power response' and 'Linear frequency response'
* Price: 985€/unit for the 8" and around 900€ for the 6.5". For comparison, the Genelec 8040B is 780€ while the 8050B is 1400€ (has it always been this expensive?) and they don't have a DSP based crossover.
Sadly, RCF doesn't even publish frequency response extension data, unlike their newer Aria model.
There's some very basic stuff at http://prosound.ixbt.com/hardsoft/rcf-mytho8.shtml like
fr.png

fr-rcf.png

that shows a quite flat on-axis.
If it were only that, it'd be quite uninteresting, but the Genelec design "inspiration" with the homemade woofer and seemingly high attention to individual electronic parts like the EPCOS caps and LM4702 chipamps (manufacturer data below) made me curious. The waveguide looks very Mackie-ish too.
index.php

Attachments

• lm4702.png
    lm4702.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,232
Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks interesting. Very much like a Genelec. Aluminum cabinet, wave guide, etc.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Here are some measurements https://www.resolutionmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/RCF-Mytho-8.pdf
RCF is a very known and serious PA brand making also their own very good drivers, they have also a newer and cheaper series with large waveguides that was also chosen by an audio engineer college https://www.mothergrid.de/news/sae-koeln-erwirbt-ayra-pro-studio-monitore-von-rcf/
Hmmm, distorsion isn't very good, with 3rd being dominant at -50 dB when playing at 90 dB SPL at 1 m. Except that, looking quite good, with a wide and even horizontal dispersion.

The Arya is indeed quite good, with Neumann tier data provided. I'm a bit worried about diffraction of the horn with its sharp mounting edges, though.
index.php

Attachments

• out4.png
    out4.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,389
Last edited:
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Dominance of 3rd harmonic at loudspeakers means a good symmetry of drivers behaviour, personally I also can live with -50 dB distortion which equals to 0.33%.
It is more audible than 2nd and "that high" only at 90 dB, though. Let's say that this needs more enquiry or comparison; not enough good studio monitors tested by Amirm, right now.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Arya is indeed quite good, with Neumann tier data provided. I'm a bit worried about diffraction of the horn with its sharp mounting edges, though.
In the end we shouldn't forget that its biggest 8" version costs only a tad more then 200€ so its rather an interesting competitor to JBL 308, Kali LP-8 etc. than to Neumann or Genelec.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thanks a lot! It is very good, but I wouldn't trade the 6 for a 8040. On the other hand, the 8 being 400€ less than the 8050 makes it quite impressive, better than a Mackie HR824, for sure. Noise level at 29 dB(A) at 10 cm could be a bit better and mid resonances more tamed, but it's not the end of the world. Distorsion does seem lower in that test, which I do trust more than the previous one.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It is a good, somewhat overlooked brand for monitors.

MRavioli

I'd happily ship one of my 6's to Amir for testing but I'm in the UK so probably very expensive!

Top Bottom