• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

rca analog for s/pdif connection?

hrki

Hi all!

Can Audioquest Columbia rca/w DBS be used for coax s/pdif connection between transport and dac or that would be bad decision?

Thanks,
H

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you have the cable, sure, it will work. If you don’t: why would you want to spend that amount of money on any cable?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Using an Audioquest Columbia cable would be a bad idea in general, no matter what devices you want to connect with it or what kind of signal you want to transmit.
Try something like this instead.

OP
H

hrki

i have the cable.. gonna change connection from unbalanced to balanced so i was courious of i can use existing cable for digital connection.. i couldnt find information about columbia’s impendance so i didn’t know if that would be ok or not..

OP
H

hrki

Using an Audioquest Columbia cable would be a bad idea in general, no matter what devices you want to connect with it or what kind of signal you want to transmit.
Try something like this instead.
atm my dac is connected to amp with columbia rca.. why is it bad idea in general?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
i have the cable.. gonna change connection from unbalanced to balanced so i was courious of i can use existing cable for digital connection.. i couldnt find information about columbia’s impendance so i didn’t know if that would be ok or not..
It will work, but remove the batteries from the Dielectric-Bias system. It's not an official 75 ohm spdif cable, but at a short distance, it should be fine.

Last edited:

antennaguru

Generally for a SPDIF cable you should use 75 ohm characteristic impedance coaxial cable. Pretty much any cable that is good for CATV. There are all sorts and they are not expensive, though some are tougher to solder RCA connectors onto.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Generally for a SPDIF cable you should use 75 ohm characteristic impedance coaxial cable. Pretty much any cable that is good for CATV. There are all sorts and they are not expensive, though some are tougher to solder RCA connectors onto.
These work nice to eliminate soldering.
41302.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
atm my dac is connected to amp with columbia rca.. why is it bad idea in general?
Here's a fancy spoon you can buy for $500:
jewelry-for-less-yellow-gold-10k-genuine-round-diamond-spoon-pendant-mens-018-ct-charm-2290310...jpg

Can you eat soup with it? Yes.
Will a regular spoon do the job just as well? Yes.
Is your money better spent elsewhere? Definitely yes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems the bad decision was already made in buying into Fraudioquest nonsense in the first place....

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Will a regular spoon do the job just as well? Yes.
Is your money better spent elsewhere? Definitely yes.
I feel as though these types of (miso) spoons do even a better job with soup!
1651705767300.png

They nearly meet the W.A.F. criteria, but they are no Guccis at $13/4ea.
I may almost have enough $$ saved to buy a 'digital' Audiquest Columbia RCA cable... if she doesn't catch me in the act!;)

OP
H

hrki

well.. i think you got the point.. now you made me feel guilty for having AQ cables.. :)
but i also think that no1 drives Yugo car tho it will do the same as any higher priced car..
maybe i’m wrong.. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
well.. i think you got the point.. now you made me feel guilty for having AQ cables.. :)
but i also think that no1 drives Yugo car tho it will do the same as any higher priced car..
It's a common analogy and a really inapt one. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OH its okay. I have AQ cables too. Back from before knowing better. I could sell them, but I kept them so I could occasionally demonstrate the lack of difference. Plus at one time their moderately priced (though still stupidly expensive) video links were very nicely made and serve as bling for my audio system. It is okay to have some bling as long as you don't think it works better. Like having a Rolex watch when a Casio keeps better time.

And no a Yugo isn't really a good comparison. They are truly deficient in several ways. Maybe a Toyota Camry or Honda Civic.

Check out this youtube video. Camry vs classic Corvette. Which would you rather be seen in?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OH its okay. I have AQ cables too....

[Yugos]... are truly deficient in several ways.
You? As a gullible shopper? In which alternate universe?

In the "BEST Pig Lipstick" department >> there are actually people who do full-rotisserie mods on Yugos, Azteks, and Pacers while you are reading this... but pitting a Camry against a Vet is just foul-play.:(

Top Bottom