• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry Pi 4 lands today with quad 1.5GHz Arm Cortex-A72 CPU cores, up to 4GB RAM...

BillG

Major Contributor
"The brains, a Broadcom BCM2711 system-on-chip, features four 64-bit Armv8 Cortex-A72 CPU cores clocked at 1.5GHz, a step up from the A53 found in the Model 3 B+. The Raspberry Pi Foundation reckons its latest shiny-shiny is comparable to an entry-level x86-based system and we’d have to agree. In use, it certainly felt snappier than the last incarnation.

Complementing that CPU bump are some additional RAM options. The claustrophobic 1GB of the 3B+ now enjoys some chunkier siblings in the form of 2 and 4GB LPDDR4 configurations. Sadly, the RAM remains resolutely non-upgradable, though the additional headroom afforded by the extra capacity makes for some intriguing possibilities.

Connectivity has seen improvement with Bluetooth 5 support, and a couple of USB 3 ports, though it is the video modifications that will raise an eyebrow or two."

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/...inMwDWifGfaTZlb_2JklnsFiCFujCT0iwV_acE2jQr7os

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
From an audio point of view there are some potentially important changes. The network and USB ports are no longer sharing a USB OTG port to connect to the CPU, so audio glitches on usb may be a thing of the past. The 40 pin header is said to be backward compatible, so existing DACs etc. should still work. What I haven't found yet is any mention of I2S and whether that may have got an upgrade; TDM support would be nice for multichannel output.
RPi4 hardware page

Krunok

Major Contributor
The network and USB ports are no longer sharing a USB OTG port to connect to the CPU, so audio glitches on usb may be a thing of the past.

This is good news!

Btw, if 40 pin header is trully backward compatible than I2S pins should be on the same positions as they are with 3 B+:

Capture.JPG

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Btw, if 40 pin header is trully backward compatible than I2S pins should be on the same positions as they are with 3 B+
Preliminary datasheet Table 5 shows GPIO 18-21 as PCM interface, so looks backward compatible. The GPIOs are all in the same places, and from a quick look seem to have all the old capabilities, but some have gained new capabilities too. I2S/TDM isn't mentioned so we'll have to wait and see.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would it be wise to have a OS on a USB-stick 3.0 instead of the Micro-SD? Because the bandwith limits are much higher on USB.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I guess it depends what you're doing. IIRC PiCorePlayer loads the OS into RAM at boot, so no benefit in that case. A comment on another site said USB and net booting are still work in progress, so you might have to wait a bit to boot from USB. In the meantime you could put the boot partition on SD and root on a USB drive, and see if it makes any difference.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Review and benchmarks at tomshardware have some more info. The microSD interface is ~twice the speed on the RPi4, and the USB3 storage is much faster than that when tested with an external SSD. Wired networking gets close to the full gigabit. There are some noteworthy teething problems on the software front that will probably be fixed in the next few weeks or months as developers get their hands on one to test with. Note that the old SD card images aren't bootable on the new board, and it will probably take a while for things like Volumio and PiCorePlayer to support the new board out of the box. If you're an early adopter you may have some work to do.

Tks

Major Contributor
Sold out to oblivion naturally.. or for sale from Cana with shipping for more than half the cost of the device >_<

I guess it depends what you're doing. IIRC PiCorePlayer loads the OS into RAM at boot, so no benefit in that case. A comment on another site said USB and net booting are still work in progress, so you might have to wait a bit to boot from USB. In the meantime you could put the boot partition on SD and root on a USB drive, and see if it makes any difference.

Or perhaps load root in a RAMDisk seeing as how the 4GB RAM model would easily support most of these smaller Linux distros

Top Bottom