• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ranking performance parameters in order of importance

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm interested in HiFi equipment measurements, always have been, but which ones are the most important to you and which ones don't matter quite so much?

To me, the most important parameter is absolute noise floor as it limits several other parameters. I want to know what the residual noise is, in uV and what it looks like (spectra) is it hum, buzz, hiss or random HF crap from an SMPS.

The second most important parameter to me is frequency response, at various power/load levels. I have found very minor deviations in amplifier responses can characterize the sound. I like to zoom in as far as I can, especially at the low end and up the top.

The third to me is power (voltage developed over various loads) for whatever device at the onset of clipping and its behaviour into difficult loads.

The fourth for me would be transient behaviour (square waves, impulses, overload recovery etc).

My fifth would be channel balance as there is nothing worse than poorly matched stereo channels- even a tiny level difference will be amplified right up the chain.

And last place, at sixth is THD. THD on most digital (and good analogue) is academic- you can't audibly discern it IMO, even at -60dB. You may hear some fade-out-to-noise artifacts on early digital recordings when they were running out of bits, but on the whole, THD in digital is a non-issue. It was a non-issue at the launch of CD in 1982.

What are your priorities in measured parameters and why?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What are your priorities in measured parameters and why?

In-room at the listening position, because that (or at least some part of it) is what I hear.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In-room at the listening position, because that (or at least some part of it) is what I hear.

So, for you, as long as your DSP can correct it all, you're good to go? How does such DSP correction take into account frequency response variations in speakers and amplifiers that are level/power dependent, or can it only ever be accurate at one reference level?

I'm interested. :)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How does such DSP correction take into account frequency response variations in speakers and amplifiers that are level/power dependent

I've never experienced personal dissatisfaction with changing frequency response presumably due to variations in hearing thresholds when changing volume.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
can it only ever be accurate at one reference level?

The playback has the same measurable accuracy at all levels, does it not?

It's the hearing that is, if there is something to be seen as faulty, the defective part.

Wombat

Master Contributor
The playback has the same measurable accuracy at all levels, does it not?

It's the hearing that is, if there is something to be seen as faulty, the defective part.

If it is thermally caused, upgrade the gear. However our hearing compresses sound level as it increases as a protection mechanism.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ranking for audio equipment (excl. transducers) in order of importance to ME.

1: Noise and hum levels below audible limit: Absolute value depends on used transducers and age of listener. (I hate constant hiss and hum/rattles/noises)

1: Frequency response: 10Hz to 20kHz within -0.1dB.
I realize my hearing does not reach those limits but these limits tell me the design is proper and is easily reached.
For DAC's at 44.1 I would accept 20kHz @ -0.5dB and 0.1dB ripple in passband.

2: Output power must be sufficient to reach 126dB peaks with the used transducers. Included here is an extreme amount of headroom.
Amp section must be able to provide power to impedances at least half that of the transducers I own. Says something about the design...

3: Channel balance should be within 0.5dB for electronics within the a volume range I use it in mostly. Will allow 1dB at the lower extreme.

4: THD and IM should be below 0.01% and if there is any I prefer to have the least amount of higher order distortion.

For transducers it is different. Speakers and headphones require different properties and limits.
Very different demands for those.

Last edited:
OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
....If it is thermally caused, upgrade the gear...

Most small bookshelf speakers I own (I like small speakers too) suffer thermal compression when being fed significant power over an extended period. It's quite audible at times but contained to the bass drivers. The dynamics are squashed. Let them cool (the magnet structure and coils) and they are fine again. Bigger drivers have more thermal mass, larger voicecoils and the effects are less.

Ranking for audio equipment (excl. transducers) in order of importance to ME.

Like what he said! Pretty much identical to me. :)

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Output power must be sufficient to reach 126dB peaks with the used transducers
It would be hard to find any transducers capable of 126dB surely, even just peaks?
The biggest ATCs specify 121 dB, though they are active.
http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/tower-series/scm300aslt/
I have a pair of ProAc EBS speakers which use the same mid and bass drivers as this ATC:
http://atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/loudspeakers/tower-series/scm50aslt/
they go pretty loud but are specified at 112dB max.
In general with the exception of horns I am not sure many speakers remain linear anywhere near 126dB.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
At various times some spec's held more importance than others.
When attempting to match passive pre-amplification to the system, output impedance of the sources and input of the amps held higher priority.
Also input sensitivity of the amp was another area of concern.
Total noise at the speaker wire held high sway when the speakers were 104db efficient compared to the 92db I deal with now.
When comparing various tube type power amps, output impedance was a number I closely looked at.
Guess the point I'm trying to make is importance rankings have varied greatly depending I what I was trying to accomplish at the time.

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
It would be hard to find any transducers capable of 126dB surely, even just peaks?
I have a pair of ProAc EBS speakers which use the same mid and bass drivers as this ATC:
In general with the exception of horns I am not sure many speakers remain linear anywhere near 126dB.

FWIW,

Genelec 1234 speakers are rated at 125 dB. 7382 subwoofer at 129 dB.

(The largest Genelec speaker, 1236 with compresssion horn driver, is rated at 130 dB).

But now we’re talking quite big, heavy boxes.

@solderdude , why do you need 126 dB?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

headphones ....

solderdude

Grand Contributor
@solderdude , why do you need 126 dB?

I don't need it... mostly play at 70 to 80dB average but DR 20 recordings can have peaks up to 90 to 100dB.
When a headphone can reach 20dB more (so 120dB peak) I know that it, most likely, behaves quite linear to well over the levels I need.
Sometimes I really want to play a song really loud for short moments I may reach 110dB peaks...
Headroom ... O.K. O.K. I lower my bid to 120dB peak....

For speakers I don't reach those levels.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
126db=eviction, divorce or both.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The step or impulse response also defines the frequency response of a linear system. Non-linear effects show up as harmonic distortion, which you ranked last.

You clearly don't actually test much real-world HiFi gear, do you?

Top Bottom