• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quality Stereo 3.5mm male to male Cables

PortaStudio

Hello,

I want to buy an audio cable to connect my audio player to the aux in of my car audio system. Doing my research on amazon I came to the conclusion, that I can't really find anything that gains my trust. I am concered about the audio quality as well as durability.

I haven't decided on whether or not I want to have angled connectors, so I am looking for cables that are angled and for calbes that are straight for now (although I am leaning more towards angled).

I am thankful for any recommendations and tips!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No appropriate Amazon basics cable?

JSmith

Master Contributor
OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

Thanks for all the responses so far. I mainly deal with instrument or XLR cables (although I don't have a deep technical understanding of them neither), so I am not quite sure what to look for in a cable like this. One thing I am worried about that the connection between the cable and connector is solid. Hard or impossible to tell from the pictures unfortunatly. The more I read, the more hesitant I get. The way amazon reviews are these days, I don't know what to believe anymore. So if anyone has experience with these types of cables I'd love to hear about it.

Another question I have is, what material of the outer-layer is best for durability.

I'd like to buy something that is reliable and doesn't compromise on the quality of the sound.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than buying a few in case one breaks, I'm not aware of professional quality cables with 3.5mm ends. If forced to it, I'd get 1/4" TRS cables and use 3.5mm adapters at each end. Barring that, make your own, so you know what you have.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
I am very happy with Cordial cables. They offer just about anything you could need. They use Rean/Neutrik plugs and the cables are sturdy and flexible.

JSmith

Master Contributor
So if anyone has experience with these types of cables I'd love to hear about it.
Yeah that's why I posted the UGreen brand cables... I've purchased a number of their cables and find them of decent build quality and they make many types;
I don't think you'll have a problem, especially for just an audio player in a car. I do find for many brands that the nylon braiding can become frayed over time, but that just affects the look not the operation.

JSmith

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

Okay. I will look into Worlds Best Cables, Cordial and Ugreen, and pick one of those. The problem with amazon reviews is, that I can't know if I am reading the opinion of a genuine individual. Thanks for the tips!

Zensō

Major Contributor
Okay. I will look into Worlds Best Cables, Cordial and Ugreen, and pick one of those. The problem with amazon reviews is, that I can't know if I am reading the opinion of a genuine individual. Thanks for the tips!
I have a bunch of different types of cables from Worlds Best Cables. They use quality parts and have held up well over time.

amicusterrae

Looks nice, but I am located in europe.
Worlds Best Cable sells quality options on Amazon in a variety of different cable designs and configurations. If you search, you can find test results for various options from Mogami, Canare, etc., and choose based on your requirements. I needed some short rca cables that had effective RF shielding and went with the Gotham GAC 4/1. Personally I wouldn’t sweat the internal design for a car cable. Everything has some shielding, it’ll be a short run, and you just want good quality connectors and construction for durability.

OP
PortaStudio

PortaStudio

That is great to know! Is there an option around 2-3 feet? I only found 6 feet, thats a bit long.

hnash53

In terms of audio quality, I thought that the issue with different makes of audio cables had been settled. That is, there's no difference.

Zensō

Major Contributor
In terms of audio quality, I thought that the issue with different makes of audio cables had been settled. That is, there's no difference.
While I agree in principle, I have had poorly made cables fall apart, which has a major effect on sound quality (as in the sound goes away completely). ;)

Top Bottom