• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz or Tidal?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is not a limit on Qobuz playlists. I use Qobuz with Audirvana and have hundreds of albums in a single "Best of Qobuz" playlist I created. Audirvana allows me to easily navigate all of them.

However, if I use the WiiM mini app with Qobuz it does truncate the playlist. It's jus poor programing compared to the Audirvana interface.
There is. I suspect in audirvana its creating the playlist on there, not on Qobuz servers.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Audirvana adds Qobuz albums to the playlist they also show up in the Qobuz app. You can use the Qobuz app to play back the same playlists instead. But for some reason the WiiM app limits the Qobuz playlists.

If my albums in the playlist were just saved on Audirvana then you wouldn't be able to see and select the same playlists in the Qobuz app.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When Audirvana adds Qobuz albums to the playlist they also show up in the Qobuz app. You can use the Qobuz app to play back the same playlists instead. But for some reason the WiiM app limits the Qobuz playlists.

If my albums in the playlist were just saved on Audirvana then you wouldn't be able to see and select the same playlists in the Qobuz app.
I don't know what to tell you. Maybe the Audirvana album trick works. It didn't work for me with roon. Or trying to sync large playlists from other services.
Screenshot_20220809-172247.png

Praefectus

Qobuz After my subscription ends I will get the sublime subscription and purchase a couple of my favourites.

I have tidal Hifi as well just to fill the gaps.
You don't need to wait. You can upgrade to Sublime any time. With pro-rata cost.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh, and yes you would be able to access and play the playlists on Qobuz Web player /app, but they would be limited to 1000 tracks

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You don't need to wait. You can upgrade to Sublime any time. With pro-rata cost.
I cancelled my existing subscription, that will be valid till December this year. So I can't upgrade anymore. Asked customer service already.

Trondi

I am just listening to this MQA on Qobuz and am curious if it is to be found on Tidal, which i am not subscribed to.

If it is on both services and someone can play both and compare SQ then i would be interested in those views.

It sounds stunning btw on my system.

Cheers.
AFFAE6F6-B877-4134-BFCA-0E95492DFE2B.png

Praefectus

I am just listening to this MQA on Qobuz and am curious if it is to be found on Tidal, which i am not subscribed to.

If it is on both services and someone can play both and compare SQ then i would be interested in those views.

It sounds stunning btw on my system.

Cheers.View attachment 225819
Yes, it's available. Qobuz and Tidal.

Attachments

• 34bc76a7936c78873360e1126de78b22.png
    34bc76a7936c78873360e1126de78b22.png
    127.9 KB · Views: 143

Praefectus

Its not clear from your image whether both versions are MQA.
My NAD m33 shows the Qobuz version playing a decoded MQA file.

Do you have any more clues P?
Qobuz's version is MQA (352.8) as well. Sometimes roon not showing it but when you start streaming it will show you the full path.

EDIT: See the new photo.

Attachments

• nordic.png
    nordic.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Apple leads the way in multich/Atmos offerings.
UI sucks but I can live with that.
I won't have anything to do with any streamer supporting MQA

shlabotnik

I have tried Amazon Music and ran into a serious (and deal-breaking) problem with it. I am surprised that I have not seen anybody else write about this.

When listening to an album that is only available in CD-quality (oddly called HD) they will replace individual tracks with high definition versions if available on other albums. On my first go-around two years ago, I found five or six instances where they had replaced a track with an incorrect version of the song. That was within the first hour of using the service. Sadly, things have not gotten better.
Check out the remastered version of The Beatles’ Abbey Road. Somehow, three tracks are in Ultra HD and Dolby Atmos, while the others are all in HD. Clearly, those three tracks are from the 2019 remix of the album, while all of the other tracks are from the 2009 CD release.
On the special edition of Something Else by the Kinks, several of the mono mixes have been replaced with ultra HD stereo mixes. The tracks still say mono, but are definitely stereo.
Another example is the Bootleg Series recording of Bob Dylan‘s Rolling Thunder Review. They replaced one of the tracks with a different high definition version. Clearly the track A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall is from a different release than the other tracks on the album. I doubt the publisher sent this to Amazon with only one Ultra HD track on the album. Compare it to the same track from the same album on Qobuz. They are clearly different masterings, if not different performances.

How can anyone have any confidence that they are actually hearing what they want to listen to? I listen to a lot of classical music. How can I be sure that I am listening to the conductor or the soloist that I have selected? How can I be sure that Amazon didn’t just decide that the third movement of any given symphony should be replaced with a different recording?
For me, this constitutes a fatal flaw.

I wrote to Amazon about this problem last year and they suggested that I check my Internet bandwidth. Not very helpful.

IMG_3575.jpg

IMG_3576.jpg

Tidal has a better sound than Qobuz, it is more natural. In Qobuz the highs looks to be pushed up with few dB, so, there are a false details in the sound. It is like a sharp filter in the Photoshop. The MQA has the best sound, nobody can modify the original signal. MQA has the most natural sound.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal has a better sound than Qobuz, it is more natural. In Qobuz the highs looks to be pushed up with few dB, so, there are a false details in the sound. It is like a sharp filter in the Photoshop. The MQA has the best sound, nobody can modify the original signal. MQA has the most natural sound.
I am highly skeptical. Evidence please! MQA alters the sound and decreases Fidelity, albeit (almost?) imperceptibly. Any audible differences between services is likely to relate to the master they originally encoded.

re. MQA, this is a good overview:

woots

I have both Qobuz and Tidal and I use Roon. To me, Qobuz is superior to Tidal. I will look first on Qobuz for a track or album before looking to Tidal. On my Roon setup I have bias towards selecting Qobuz as well. Additionally, I have no issues at all with the Roon / Qobuz connection.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Tidal has a better sound than Qobuz, it is more natural. In Qobuz the highs looks to be pushed up with few dB, so, there are a false details in the sound. It is like a sharp filter in the Photoshop. ...
I am highly skeptical. Evidence please! MQA alters the sound and decreases Fidelity, albeit (almost?) imperceptibly. Any audible differences between services is likely to relate to the master they originally encoded.
I too am skeptical. Qobuz differentiates themselves from other streaming services by streaming exactly what the studios or music owners give them. No more, no less, no modification of any kind, bit perfect. Tidal differentiates themselves by modifying the music with their proprietary processing and filters. Which one is truer to the source seems obvious.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Troll

ELberto

Forum Donor
I've tried Amazon, Tidal and Qobuz, really gave each one a good try. Setting aside the whole MQA thing, Amazon SQ was inferior to Qobuz and Tidal, all on the highest [non MQA] subscription quality. Beyond that the recommendations from Tidal are the best of the bunch and Amazon was terrible in that department. Qobuz deleted my playlist so they're dead to me. Support was responsive but had no solution. Tidal for the win here.

Top Bottom