• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Qobuz or Tidal?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using UAPP to cast to my headphone amp and BubbleUPNP to send files to my Pi via Moode. Both work flawlessly. Not sure what problems used to exist in this respect but they seem to have ironed them out.

The only issue I've encountered has been that live EQ settings are incredibly slow to react via UAPP, but I guess that's due to the buffered content already having been EQd.

See my linked post in that one you quoted. I had my qobuz library "disappear" from Roon a couple of times in the space of a month or so. May well be sorted now, but Qobuz generally is less slick than Tidal. 999 track playlist limit another example. Its just a bit clunkier. And I cant see Qobuz ever adopting a Connect functionality. Tidal is trying but its not at Spotify levels yet.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I use both Qobuz and Tidal in the Roon environment. Do not see any difference from the integration point of view. To me they are identical.

The main issue [with Tidal] is that as we speak, about half Tidal’s catalog is now MQA-only titles, regardless of what subscription tier you have (and streaming quality configuration you select). While some people find Roon’s MQA core processing adequate, personally I do not like it (compared to to Qobuz‘ PCM’s).

Last edited:

amarsicola

Forum Donor
Qobuz playlists make you discover tons of classical, jazz and world music. Qobuz is really a helper to increase musical culture. But not everyone is able to appreciate

OP
Spider

Spider

Unfortunately they do not offer Amazon Music in Denmark yet anyway.

Reactions: ENG

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately they do not offer Amazon Music in Denmark yet anyway.
Given their reluctance to integrate into any other software /systems I don't think you're missing much tbh

D

Deleted member 23424

See my linked post in that one you quoted. I had my qobuz library "disappear" from Roon a couple of times in the space of a month or so. May well be sorted now, but Qobuz generally is less slick than Tidal. 999 track playlist limit another example. Its just a bit clunkier. And I cant see Qobuz ever adopting a Connect functionality. Tidal is trying but its not at Spotify levels yet.
Ah, Roon. Or Don't You Spend Enough On Hifi Already? as She Who Must Be Obeyed calls it. I've never used it so can't comment on that particular integration.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, Roon. Or Don't You Spend Enough On Hifi Already? as She Who Must Be Obeyed calls it. I've never used it so can't comment on that particular integration.
Yeah, I gave it up due to cost and said glitches.

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I stream via BluOs... and through the BluOs app Tidal is far superior for new music discovery compared to Qobuz. And the Amazon music experience through BluOs is beyond pathetic (basically an unuseable piece of trash software). I detect no difference in audio quality between Tidal and Qobuz or Amazon. Qobuz has a slightly better selection than Tidal but not sufficiently so to overcome the large deficit in functionality vs. Tidal.

At last check, the BluOs app doesn't support Apple Lossless from a mobile device so I haven't bothered with it.

I would imagine BluOs isn't a high priority for these services to support, but Tidal has their functionality act together so they get my business.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
My understanding — admittedly rather limited — of the difference between Tidal vs Qobuz user interface experience is based on (a) native apps for the both, (b) integration of both into Auralic’s Lightning DS environment, and (c) their integration into Roon environment… So, apparently, per numerous discussions on Auralic forum and explanation by Auralic developers, Qobuz’ application-server API is very rudimentary. Eg, it does not support multiple types of queries: like “reverse Z-A”, “newest-to-latest” sorting, etc.

So, those apps that rely on such queries to fulfill user‘s GUI manipulation/interaction (including Lightning DS) are indeed very limiting and frustrating — “Why can’t I sort my bloody albums according to the release date!?” Meanwhile, Roon — that maintains, processes, and dynamically updates a uniform internal database of all (!) the tracks available — does much better with Qobuz track/album sorts, searches, etc. Again, in my experience, indistinguishable from Tidal‘s or local-file libraries...

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
And I cant see Qobuz ever adopting a Connect functionality.
Actually when I asked them about what happened to their 'play to UPnP renederer' feature which was there in beta initially in their Desktop app, they told me recently they are working on Qobuz Connect style instead.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually when I asked them about what happened to their 'play to UPnP renederer' feature which was there in beta initially in their Desktop app, they told me recently they are working on Qobuz Connect style instead.
I stand corrected. Well, in a couple of years maybe.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I used Qobuz and Tidal with Roon, both were buggy at different times. The poorly designed Roon iOS apps combined with the various Qobuz and Tidal integration issues eventually drove me off the platform to Apple Music.

A few data points:
  1. The Tidal mobile apps are much better than the Qobuz mobile apps.
  2. Qobuz files are free of MQA for the most part.
  3. Tidal is more expensive.
  4. There are holes in the Qobuz catalog in some niche genres.
  5. The sound quality is close enough to be irrelevant.

Last edited:

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Qobuz question: The Studio Sublime plan says “Enjoy a huge selection of albums in Hi-Res quality at reduced prices in our download store.”

Is the $7/month difference worth the discount? I always hated the marketing term “up to”, the new stuff and classics you really want are usually barely discounted. Just curious how much is 50% or more discounted and if these discounted prices aren’t really available at another place.

RosalieTheDog

I used Qobuz and Tidal with Roon, both were buggy at different times. The poorly designed Roon iOS apps combined with the various Qobuz and Tidal integration issues eventually drove me off the platform to Apple Music.

A few data points:
  1. The Tidal mobile apps are much better than the Qobuz mobile apps.
  2. Qobuz files are free of MQA for the most part.
  3. Tidal is more expensive.
  4. There are holes in the Qobuz catalog in some niche genres.
  5. The sound quality is close enough to be irrelevant.
I disagree on 3. The Qobuz family hifi is €21; the Tidal family hifi is €15.

ELberto

Forum Donor
Not sorted. Just happened to me and coincidently I started getting a bunch of spam from Roon even after unsubscribing from all marketing emails. Complained and actually got a response- sorry we just changed email servers and are having problems. Right... disappearing playlist (singular- I only had one and wtf am I supposed to do now) and spam equals g'bye Roon.
Had Tidal before Qobuz and preferred Tidal's suggestions and interface, their library for my tastes was better. Qobuz is missing a few artists I like.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Overall I like the sound of Qobuz over Tidal. It sounds better with most the music I enjoy. It's consistently better on an AB track comparison too. I am comparing Qobuz against Amazon HD now. It's amazing how much cleaner the Qobuz tracks are on my system than Amazon HD. You really need to compare the services on your own setup to see if you can tell a difference. Everyones taste varies.

ELberto

Forum Donor
Overall I like the sound of Qobuz over Tidal. It sounds better with most the music I enjoy. It's consistently better on an AB track comparison too. I am comparing Qobuz against Amazon HD now. It's amazing how much cleaner the Qobuz tracks are on my system than Amazon HD. You really need to compare the services on your own setup to see if you can tell a difference. Everyones taste varies.
Are both services using wasapi exclusive? If they're aren't that could well be the reason you hear a difference.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sorted. Just happened to me and coincidently I started getting a bunch of spam from Roon even after unsubscribing from all marketing emails. Complained and actually got a response- sorry we just changed email servers and are having problems. Right... disappearing playlist (singular- I only had one and wtf am I supposed to do now) and spam equals g'bye Roon.
Had Tidal before Qobuz and preferred Tidal's suggestions and interface, their library for my tastes was better. Qobuz is missing a few artists I like.
Having tried most of them I am convinced there is no one service perfect for all my use cases. So I now use a mix of amazon HD on desktop and tidal on mobile. Leaving aside the slightly shady mqa angle, I do like tidal overall.

Top Bottom