• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Q) When does Steve Guttenberg like active speakers?

Putter

Forum Donor
I do have to say that I've had bad luck with at least one form of powered speaker, the subwoofer. I would say about half of the subs I've used stopped working. Admittedly these were not expensive subs, but there are issues with putting a lot of electronics into a smallish box.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I do have to say that I've had bad luck with at least one form of powered speaker, the subwoofer. I would say about half of the subs I've used stopped working. Admittedly these were not expensive subs, but there are issues with putting a lot of electronics into a smallish box.

Hmmmm.

1. Powered monitors have been used by recording industry professionals for decades with good results

2. Powered subwoofers have been used by home theater fans, in rock concert PAs, dance clubs, and movie theaters for decades with good results

Maybe the problem isn't the electronics in the same box as the speaker, but the quality of what you bought?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Maybe the problem isn't the electronics in the same box as the speaker, but the quality of what you bought?
I've had problems with several relatively expensive subs from more than one brand fail me. Not half but disturbing.

digicidal

Major Contributor
Amp or power supply issues.
I've had the same problems. Fortunately they weren't (as they were in your case) anything close to "relatively expensive". Also fortunately, in both cases, it was a simple weekend project to make blank plates with binding posts and convert them to passives.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You can say what you want but the conditions for electronic are in a speaker case shurly not the best. Nasa did a lot of vibration testing with there electronics and iam shure it was not just for fun.
So you will hardly find tube amp's in there. Maybe thats it why SG dont likes active speakers? ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had problems with several relatively expensive subs from more than one brand fail me. Not half but disturbing.
Sometimes I think that this is just a symptom of the times. I can't tell you how many products I've bought, even relatively expensive items, that failed quickly. It almost makes you not want to spend top dollars on anything because you just know you'll have to replace it soon.

Not that they would be anyone's cup of oolong, but I have a 1960s era Dyna amp and 1970s era JBL speakers that have given me no problems.

With subwoofer failures my guess is that it's the stamped out circuit boards going south. Surely not the drivers? I've experienced that with SS Fender amps. Go tube for your guitar. And if you want to fix it yourself, go tubes for your hi-fi.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
With subwoofer failures my guess is that it's the stamped out circuit boards going south. Surely not the drivers? I've experienced that with SS Fender amps. Go tube for your guitar. And if you want to fix it yourself, go tubes for your hi-fi.
I wouldn't go that far (tubes). Simpler and more discrete componentry is my personal preference despite the multiplicity of cables needed for it. Integration is convenience.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't go that far (tubes). Simpler and more discrete componentry is my personal preference despite the multiplicity of cables needed for it. Integration is convenience.
Yes. I was being a bit facetious. But I'll say this, if my Dyna ever tanks (I'm sure I'll take a knee before it does) I stand a reasonable chance of fixing it myself. In my own living room with my own tools. If my AHB2 gives it up, it's on a FedEx truck back to Syracuse. By necessity.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes. I was being a bit facetious. But I'll say this, if my Dyna ever tanks (I'm sure I'll take a knee before it does) I stand a reasonable chance of fixing it myself. In my own living room with my own tools.
Understood. I will always regret having tossed a pair of Stereo70s from If my third floor window into a dumpster while preparing for a house move about 30 years ago.
AHB2 gives it up, it's on a FedEx truck back to Syracuse. By necessity.
Sure but, these days, I fix nothing anymore and packing/shipping an AHB2 is a breeze compared with traditional big amps.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Understood. I will always regret having tossed a pair of Stereo70s from If my third floor window into a dumpster while preparing for a house move about 30 years ago.
That's terrible, but I've been there. Off the top of my head, mostly because of moves, I've chunked:

Thorens TD-160 (didn't like it that much so it went in the bin); Technics SL 1100a (I had two, don't ask why--still have one, though); Garrard Zero 100 (have another I recently restored); Counterpoint SA-3 (actually gave it to one of the moving guys because I didn't have time to replace some caps and he said he'd take it); Dual 704 (gave it to a friend who owned a record store--just restored another because I liked it); Yamaha TX-950 tuner (FM? What's that?); Pioneer SA-9500 that was beginning to act up... Probably a lot more if I thought about it longer.

And I've sold for next to nothing ten times as much. LOL

The only thing I really regret and wish I had back is when my ex left me, taking a Pioneer SX-1980 out the door. Um...I mean the Pioneer...not the ex.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And I've sold for next to nothing ten times as much. LOL
I know. I am now getting prepared to get rid of a lot of stuff and I hate selling.

NoSnakeOil2

Answer - when they cost a shed load of cash. Oops, little bit of cynicism there......
/
Steve has never preferred a less expensive kit to a more expensive one. Never. Given the 0+ years he's been in the industry, how is that possible? Kinda undermines his reason of being a review. He's more a "justifier." )

Top Bottom