• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Passive Speakers With Active Bass - help needed

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Situation is a small room (around 9' by 12') and a vinyl enthusiast who does not want to A-D the analogue signal.

So looking for a 3 way with active bass - can be ready made, a kit or a just a design on paper as build skills are available.

Can anyone recommend a speaker that fits this bill (and is good, obvs)?

Asking for a friend - many thanks in advance.

pogo

Major Contributor
I haven't heard this one myself yet, but maybe it's an option: Link

OP
M

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't heard this one myself yet, but maybe it's an option: Link
Thanks, but they're not available in the UK. I probably should have mentioned that requirement, sorry.

pogo

Major Contributor
You could ask hyperfi or homeavdirect. They stock this brand.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can you walk us through the thought process that gave you this conclusion?

As now you're not really asking us to provide a solution to a problem, you are merely presenting the solution.

OP
M

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could ask hyperfi or homeavdirect. They stock this brand.
Thanks, they don't have that model but they do have the BP9020 which might do.

OP
M

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you walk us through the thought process that gave you this conclusion?

As now you're not really asking us to provide a solution to a problem, you are merely presenting the solution.
Not my conclusion I'm just working with the brief I was given - but I will take any advice and pass it on.

574stereo

You can't just stick an active sub/bass system under an already full-range system without having phase issues.

Firstly the likelihood is that they will be exhibiting differing amounts of phase shift around the crossover points already (most subs are a mountain of group delay/phase shift by nature). Secondly, you're adding in a low-pass filter on the LF system which is going to introduce further phase shift.

If you really want something which would offer you passive mid-highs but with an active subwoofer and correct phase integration, make sure you maintain brand consistency.
ATC are making passive speakers but with active subs (their new C4 mk2 is exceptionally good). Other brands doing this include Revel, B&W, PMC, Focal, Dynaudio etc... although I can't personally say how successfully these manufacturers have managed to pair their LF offerings with the rest of the range. I can tell you for sure it works very well in the ATC domain...​

Sokel

Master Contributor
up to maybe three grand UKGBP
Three grand per pair for semi-actives or hybrid or even older analog actives three-way can be difficult but the small room can come to rescue with some smaller ones,eg,a clasic 1"/5-6"/6" design (after that even passive exceed the budget).

Used maybe?Or a 2-way with one of the available woofers like the one Rythmic has (try to find something with the same principle as W371A but vastly cheaper,NOT subs)
Analog integration can be easy if put together (one on top of the other) but not too easy,they have to match in some principles.

Generally the above presents the same difficulties speaker designers have as size grows,hence the prices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom