• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Puzzled by the difference in sound between coaxial and optical connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
So when I would put on Dark side of the moon (The import Harvest CD, great!) or Rumours (the german mastered one) or some Bach CDs that were well recorded I knew EXACTLY what every second sounded like and the imaging and soundstage were like muscle memory as I had listened to them so many times sitting in exactly the same spot in exactly the same room with the same equipment.

Ironically echoic memory works practically opposite to that. More than 3-4 seconds (on a good day) between the impressions you're comparing, and you're screwed.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

wwenze

Major Contributor
Wow, so many bad sources brjoon uses. No wonder he doesn't like this one much as a result.
Is it because the content on this website stayed unchanged after he swapped his ethernet cables?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@Paperkite,
Your Marantz has RCAs and both S/PDIF types of inputs (coax/opto).
Now then: To make any kind of more meaningful comparo [warm/cold? more/less? highs/lows? close/far? but NOT apples/cats], ALL you would prey for is that either your iFi or your TV has both S/PDIF types of Outputs to compare ... again in a more meaningful way.
Otherwise, it seems like all bets are off!:(

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can they be characterized? -Like different zombie types.
Well there are drive-bys as well as sleepers. At opposite ends of the account lifetime spectrum.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
No. Being a drive by or a sleeper.

I think it could turn into a quite interesting hobby, classifying trolls.:)
It would keep us endlessly busy!

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We have three cars. If you sat me in each blind folded and played a track I know, I would be able to tell which one I was in with 100 % certainty all the time. And I only drive one of them daily.
But you probably wouldn't be able to tell if we changed the amps, wiring or DAC. Your example is changing the listening space, which is a much bigger deal, akin to having the subwoofer off, etc.

The science on auditory memory is what it is, regardless of claims. People do better with subtle differences in more rapid switching.

D

Deleted member 21219

No. Being a drive by or a sleeper.

I think it could turn into a quite interesting hobby, classifying trolls.:)

I take it that a sleeper and a mole are the same thing?

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I take it that a sleeper and a mole are the same thing?

Jim
Isn't a mole just an inside man (or woman).

Whereas a sleeper just hangs around - often for years - being unobtrusive, until they're activated.

Brilliant - we now have three classes. :D

EDIT: or is it two classes and a subclass? :confused: Doesn't matter : we should give each one a QR code for easy identification.

D

Deleted member 48726

But you probably wouldn't be able to tell if we changed the amps, wiring or DAC. Your example is changing the listening space, which is a much bigger deal, akin to having the subwoofer off, etc.

The science on auditory memory is what it is, regardless of claims. People do better with subtle differences in more rapid switching.
My point is that we wouldn't be making EQ if we in general wasn't able to tell the difference it makes. Take the speaker reviews on here. Often amir makes small corrections via EQ.
I can easily tell the difference in few dB in my house curve. Also from day to day basis.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My point is that we wouldn't be making EQ if we in general wasn't able to tell the difference it makes. Take the speaker reviews on here. Often amir makes small corrections via EQ.
I can easily tell the difference in few dB in my house curve. Also from day to day basis.

On the other hand - for me:

I have 4 subtley different house curves set in the 4 settings of my MiniDSP flex. I can tell the difference if I switch between them.

Sometimes I am listeing though and think bass is lacking - or too much. Do I have the wrong curve selected? No - doesn't seem so. Just some days or times (Perhaps 10% of my listening) I perceive the music as not sounding as good. Other times it sounds sublime.

For me these perceived differences are more significant than the house curve differences, and I assume they are to with my physiology (tiredness, comfort, alcohol consumption etc) or state of mind (calm, stressed etc). Certainly nothing in the room or system changes.

There is - I conclude - no way I can tell just by sitting down and listening if the actual sound has changed since yesterday - or if I am just feeling different.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the other hand - for me:

I have 4 subtley different house curves set in the 4 settings of my MiniDSP flex. I can tell the difference if I switch between them.

Sometimes I am listeing though and think bass is lacking - or too much. Do I have the wrong curve selected? No - doesn't seem so. Just some days or times (Perhaps 10% of my listening) I perceive the music as not sounding as good. Other times it sounds sublime.

For me these perceived differences are more significant than the house curve differences, and I assume they are to with my physiology (tiredness, comfort, alcohol consumption etc) or state of mind (calm, stressed etc). Certainly nothing in the room or system changes.

There is - I conclude - no way I can tell just by sitting down and listening if the actual sound has changed since yesterday - or if I am just feeling different.
Indeed - some days I have wide deep soundstage others I don't - same system, same recording even same time of day. Conclusion - the variable is me.

Was trying to explain this to a pal who reckons AES connection has better soundstage than SP/dif. I don't think he bought it.

Back on subject of thread I do perceive optical connection as being slightly softer than coax on things like drums and cymbal strikes. No idea if that is me or for real.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Indeed - some days I have wide deep soundstage others I don't - same system, same recording even same time of day. Conclusion - the variable is me.

Was trying to explain this to a pal who reckons AES connection has better soundstage than SP/dif. I don't think he bought it.
It's because he's never experienced it. Like you, I have (perhaps sadly) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom