• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Puzzled by the difference in sound between coaxial and optical connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's because he's never experienced it. Like you, I have (perhaps sadly) :(
well if someone is convinced that they are a rock steady and infallible appraisal device...and not a bunch of chemical and electrical impulses, often operating randomly and usually well out of specification...

D

Deleted member 48726

On the other hand - for me:

I have 4 subtley different house curves set in the 4 settings of my MiniDSP flex. I can tell the difference if I switch between them.

Sometimes I am listeing though and think bass is lacking - or too much. Do I have the wrong curve selected? No - doesn't seem so. Just some days or times (Perhaps 10% of my listening) I perceive the music as not sounding as good. Other times it sounds sublime.

For me these perceived differences are more significant than the house curve differences, and I assume they are to with my physiology (tiredness, comfort, alcohol consumption etc) or state of mind (calm, stressed etc). Certainly nothing in the room or system changes.

There is - I conclude - no way I can tell just by sitting down and listening if the actual sound has changed since yesterday - or if I am just feeling different.
I get what you mean. But usually I'm in the same mood as last time I wanted to sit down and listen to music. I don't sit and listen to music when I'm not in the mood for it. When I listen to music I'm almost always sober and have the house to myself. I have mostly arranged my life so I'm not stressed nor tired and when I am I don't want to listen to music.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I get what you mean. But usually I'm in the same mood as last time I wanted to sit down and listen to music. I don't sit and listen to music when I'm not in the mood for it. When I listen to music I'm almost always sober and have the house to myself. I have mostly arranged my life so I'm not stressed nor tired and when I am I don't want to listen to music.
I suspect it would take quite a bit more than that to achieve a mindset ”control” in an experiment.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Likewise I only listen to music when I really feel like it. Most stressful thing I do these days is cross a busy road.

I still can't quantify my own mood and say 'It's exactly the same as last time.'

D

Deleted member 48726

Likewise I only listen to music when I really feel like it. Most stressful thing I do these days is cross a busy road.

I still can't quantify my own mood and say 'It's exactly the same as last time.'
I guess humans are different or I'm just extremely stoic. :)

D

Deleted member 48726

Possibly, as I am only about as stoic as Batman. You are probably at 'Spartacus' level. :)
I know at least that I'm about the same mood every single time I sit down and listen to music.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It sometimes amazes me how different people are. And sometimes we just assume the way we are is the way everyone is.

I tend to listen to music based on what else I am doing at the time. On the net - musics is playing - like now. On my (pedal) bike - musc. In the car - music.

I rarely just sit and listen - doing nothing else.

It is not something i'm in or not in the mood for. Normally it will improve my mood, whatever it is/was when I start listening.

D

Deleted member 48726

It sometimes amazes me how different people are. And sometimes we just assume the way we are is the way everyone is.

I tend to listen to music based on what else I am doing at the time. On the net - musics is playing - like now. On my (pedal) bike - musc. In the car - music.

I rarely just sit and listen - doing nothing else.

It is not something i'm in or not in the mood for. Normally it will improve my mood, whatever it is/was when I start listening.
Yes it is something to look out for when discussing and measuring people in general. :)

I sometimes listen to music when I'm out running. Not much anymore because I tended to have the volume a bit too high and I'm running more than an hour so it could be in issue in the long run. -But of course I wouldn't be able to discern the different house curves if I could switch them while running. But at home I can because I'm present and attentive.

OP
P

Paperkite

@Paperkite,
Your Marantz has RCAs and both S/PDIF types of inputs (coax/opto).
Now then: To make any kind of more meaningful comparo [warm/cold? more/less? highs/lows? close/far? but NOT apples/cats], ALL you would prey for is that either your iFi or your TV has both S/PDIF types of Outputs to compare ... again in a more meaningful way.
Otherwise, it seems like all bets are off!:(
Hi, thanks for your thoughts. As I said in my last post, I've made a double test with the same flac on both TV and iFi and found no discernible difference. So I was wrong, comparing apples with cats. Youtube's compression algorithms favored the voice frequencies somehow and they sounded more forward to me, so I mistakenly concluded that it was because of the different connections. It wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom