• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Purifi/Hypex Ncore for the car, how?

changster

How does one go about building a multi channel amp for a car using the Purifi or Hypex Ncore modules? Is there a way? Are there any companies that can do it, using top notch power supplies or the Hypex power supplies?

OP
changster

changster

Oh wow, perfect. Thank you so much. I will contact Biketronics.

Does anyone know how important the power supplies are not just to supply power but for all the measurements that Amir does (SINAD, THD, IMD, SNR etc)? It looks like Biketronics uses their own custom power supplies instead of say Hypex ones. But that's to be expected given these aren't used at home but take a 12v DC in from the car.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I'm by no means an expert but I've read a lot of reviews here on ASR. My best guess is that every component affects sinad, so it depends on the expertise and measurement capabilities of the manufacturer involved.

(Btw: If you are interested in car audio, if you haven't already, at some point you need to get knowledge of eq and dsp. REW is often recommended here as good measurement software. It only takes about 100 dollars for a Umik measurement microphone to start. The software is free and tutorials on this site. Minidsp amongst others has good eq hardware that's affordable.

Edit: I just noticed your avatar: you probably already know this if you've built those speakers :) )

OP
changster

changster

I'm by no means an expert but I've read a lot of reviews here on ASR. My best guess is that every component affects sinad, so it depends on the expertise and measurement capabilities of the manufacturer involved.

(Btw: If you are interested in car audio, if you haven't already, at some point you need to get knowledge of eq and dsp. REW is often recommended here as good measurement software. It only takes about 100 dollars for a Umik measurement microphone to start. The software is free and tutorials on this site. Minidsp amongst others has good eq hardware that's affordable.

Edit: I just noticed your avatar: you probably already know this if you've built those speakers :) )

Right ok. I wonder how well those Biketronics amps are. Hopefully they do some sort of testing on those. However, since the company is making amps for Harley's, somehow I have a feeling the best measurements aren't a top company priority.

Oh and yes I know all about REW/DSPs etc. Thank you for that. I'm not an expert but I've gone through the entire process beginning to end and it is just AWESOME. I can never understand why home hifi people don't go fully active. They probably just want a set it and forget it thing, and if certain things doesn't sound right then they move the speakers and retry. In a car, if you go through the process I think you get a way deeper understanding of sound and an appreciation for how to get high quality sound through location, installation, using the right equipment for the application, etc.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the Alpine is enough.

OP
changster

changster

IMO the Alpine is enough.

It does seem pretty nice but I just don’t like the fact a recommendation is based on car standards like it’s inferior to home hifi.

I’m willing to pay comparable dollar to home hifi for the top end stuff.

OP
changster

changster

Does anyone here know how to design amplifiers? How would one go about building a 12V car amplifier based on Purifi modules?

OP
changster

changster

BoXem, is there any way you can help make something custom for me? I don't mind paying up top dollar. It's really simple on requirements.

As compact as possible, 4 channels, RCA inputs, variable gain (2, 4, 8, could be dip switches), remote turn on, heatsink outer casing preferred without any fans.

Tested/measured if possible.

So many people in car audio is waiting for Purifi/Ncore car amps that are tested/clean. I've seen reports of bad background noise in the Biketronics, not sure why.

Tobi F.

Hi Changster,

I fully understand your point. There is currently no high-end digital amplifier for car audio available.
All top amps like Brax NOX, Eton Core, GZ Ultra,.... etc. are still analog heat plates.

You would need a Powersupply, which generates dual rail voltages out for 12V.
Connex Electronics C500SMPS
Coldamps CPS80 (not available any more)
Or any Ali-Express options.
All of them have the issue, that they are not start stop 6V capable.
You may need to add a Schottky Diode and a Capacitor for this use case.
I did a built with the Coldamps power supply and some old UCD180.
To prevent bad plopp noises during engine start, I checked the Ignition signal (old fashioned car) and muted the UCDs just some milliseconds before that.

Currently I'm also thinking of some project like this.
Still unsure, if I would start it.

elberoth

Any success with Biketronics amps? I'm considering one for my 964 build.

Top Bottom