• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pseudoscience or audiophool/both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sounds like audiophool BS. The speaker positioning should be based on the speaker characteristics and the room acoustics. Changing the amp won't change that. If the new amp can't power the speakers as well, moving the speakers around won't help.

The author probably thinks the amp is responsible for the soundstage too.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you buy amplifiers with high output impedance the FR is changed, particularly if the speaker itself has big impedance swings in the bass, and maybe the optimum position for the speaker in the room may change a bit but maybe not, IME the best speaker position depends on the room dimensions and listening position(s).

But why buy an amp with high output impedance? Why tolerate speakers with poor crossover engineering?
There are plenty of well engineered items out there.

Mind you my theory of the high end is that if you make something very expensive that changes the sound then "audiophiles" will interpret it as better since more expensive = better in that sphere.

I have always thought valve amps and low feedback solid state amps of actual modest performance fit in that category but I could be wrong of course.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I made it to the end of page 2.....no reason to read more. Adjusting the speaker "in millimetres in all 6 axis" because of the perceived changing of "spectral balance" of a new amplifier? BS!

D

Deleted member 48726

TLDR? -Akin to people posting links to YT videos without a summary or their own opinions I'd be nice to have that with article links.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
That was a bunch of hooey.

If you went from 2 watts and 2 meters vs 500 watts and 5 meters to the listening position?

I'm trying to make this happen in my head. My question is why would I be in that position to begin with?

I'm not a big flea watt guy, but I've been ran out of a few room on 5 watts or less. Early Klipsch horns in small
square rooms does it to me every time. 500 watts is a suicide mission, I'd claw my own ears out, with that noise.

SO how can swapping a power amp require my speakers to move? Distance and decay rates at the seated position?

It's a physical, mechanical issue. He seems to think sound drops like an arrow when launched in one direction.
Does gravity affect a sound wave?

I say he could move his head or body or both in the seated position, to enough different positions, to change his perception
more than 1/2" on camber, caster, toe-in or out and distance from the seated position.

I use green tape vs blue too for speaker position. Oh yes, tape color matters. :)

Will_B

My M&K Loudspeakers are wall-mounted and in-ceiling. All of my other speakers hang off my head. I suppose I could shift the speakers hanging off my head when I switch from one amp to the next. I could swap pads but for some of those head-hanging speakers pad-swapping is either a pain in the butt or simply not possible (I’m looking at you Audeze)

SSS

Basic rules explained when evaluating a SYSTEM seem to be not bad in this text. But outweigh amp behavior with speaker placement may be possible in some cases due to different speaker/room interaction and also will be not in other cases when there is no noticable interaction between amp and speker. Moving the speakers then just changes the speaker/room system.

OP
D

Dimitrov

Its as i suspected, thank you for confirming this was basically just audiophile nonsense.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
What is your take on this article?

Please read through all of it before commenting.

In the future, please include a summary of the issues and what specifically is being highlighted for discussion.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom