• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSB monitors?

JohnnyAudio

Inquiring minds want to know, what studio monitors have the Pet Shop Boys used? Their mixes are really good for techno pop.
" The Lost Room" sounds so delicious on my Head wreckers and I'm wondering if the boys use a full range monitor like a Tannoy.

napfkuchen

According to wikipedia this song was mixed by Pete Gleadall, here is a recent interview with him where you can see his studio setup. The small speakers are IK Multimedia iLoud Micro Monitors. The medium ones seem to be Dynaudio (BM s.th.?), at least the woofer has their typical design, but no idea which model. The big speakers? No idea unfortunately.
BTW the song is inspired by Robert Musil's "The Confusions of Young Törless". Had to read it at school and it's definitely in the top-3 of my most-hated books. Personally their uplifting songs are more to my taste.

napfkuchen

He's probably changed monitors after 40 years.
The Lost Room was recorded in 2015-2016, so "only" 10 years. But still, his setup might have changed during that time. Has their sound changed much in the last few decades? I don't believe. This suggests that Gleadall knows his tools and can ultimately achieve the PSB sound with different speakers.

Top Bottom