• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PS5+ smsl po100pro and….?

Anonymous One

Hi,
I would like to improve the sound quality of the PS5 console, I came up with the idea of buying SMSL Po100Pro. I would like to ask you for help in choosing the end device to which the dt999 Home Edition 250 ohm and super lux hd668 headphones will be connected (they play nice for such a cheap one)
Would it be a good idea to buy ifi zen dac v2 and connect it to this? Or do you have any other better suggestions in the price range 150-250€I will add that I was considering buying SMSL D12, but I don't know
Thx

OP
A

Anonymous One

Hi,
when it comes to smsl po100pro, I was just thinking about buying something with an optical input to connect it together. I'm also interested in the SMSL devices listed above, the only thing I'm afraid of is their build quality because there are a lot of opinions on the Internet about their frequent failures. One more question: is it worth paying extra for the DL200 over the c200?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Be carefull with what DACs you select The PS5 still has no support for UAC2 which most of these DACs support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/14as5iq

Edit: actually the SMSL Po100Pro has a switch for the UAC mode, so should work, the C200/DL200 as well according to the manual (though it's called something else). But If not explicitly specified, I would expect any modern DAC to only support UAC2.

Last edited:
OP
A

Anonymous One

I know, and this was my biggest disappointment when it comes to PS5, and for this reason, for the last year and a half, I had the sound routed to the TV via an HDMI cable, and from the TV via an optical cable to the Pioneer XC-HM86D, where the headphones were connected. But recently I've been missing music while playing and that's why I'm looking for another device for the console

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But recently I've been missing music while playing and that's why I'm looking for another device for the console
Can you elaborate on this? Why doesn't your current setup work?

OP
A

Anonymous One

We misunderstood, the setup works. Simply put, the problem is that I cannot listen to music on the Pioneer and play on the console at the same time because I play with headphones and the headphones are connected to the pioneer, for this reason I need a dac/amp which will be directly connected to the console

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, so you'll be playing music through the Pioneer, and playing the game via the new DAC and headphones?

If you're using Apple Music or Spotify, you may be in luck: you can just have the PS5 play music in the background:

OP
A

Anonymous One

Okay, so you'll be playing music through the Pioneer, and playing the game via the new DAC and headphones?
exactly
I forgot to add that I am also considering the option of outputting the sound via an optical cable from the TV to the DAC/amp

Last edited:
OP
A

Anonymous One

Okay, time to buy
I have these three options
smsl d12 currently on German amazon for 110€,
C200 as above for €175 and dl200 for €209
Which of the above is the most profitable to buy in your opinion?
Is it worth paying extra for dl200 compared to c200?

Thx

staticV3

Master Contributor
Okay, time to buy
I have these three options
smsl d12 currently on German amazon for 110€,
C200 as above for €175 and dl200 for €209
Which of the above is the most profitable to buy in your opinion?
Is it worth paying extra for dl200 compared to c200?

Thx
The D12 would not work for TV output since it only has USB in.

That leaves the C200 and DL200 where I have no preference either way.

Last edited:
OP
A

Anonymous One

I know, but the D12 would be directly connected to the console

Last edited:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
You really think it will make that much difference from the dac in the ps5 controller for music while gaming, its not like your doing critical music listening. I use mine for games and it sounds surprisingly good. Unless your HPs are low impedance or you listen at very loud levels use the money for more games. Your money.
I would be interested to see some testing for the ps5 controller.

OP
A

Anonymous One

@Cbdb2
I don't know, I've never checked because I don't like extra cables on the controller
The controller probably won't work with the BD dt990 HE 250ohm. I know it may seem strange, but I will listen to music while playing on the Pionner Network Receiver, and I only need the DAC/amp for gaming.
And that's why I decided to add one more option, much cheaper smsl d12

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
What ever works for ya. 250ohms is not a lot to drive but if it compromises your gaming why bother.

OP
A

Anonymous One

So I bought the C200 for €164, so the price is definitely ok. I connected it to PS5 without any problems, so that's a plus. I found one disadvantage, namely, if I use the USB input, I have to set the volume to about 50 on the scale to make it OK for me, I immediately connected it to the TV with an optical cable and it is definitely loud, now about 25/28 on the scale is enough. and for me, in The Division 2 3D it worsens the sound quality.
I think I will try one more option: Ps5 via usb to po100pro and c200 via optical to po100pro
Maybe then it will be louder and 3D will sound better

Last edited:
Top Bottom