• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Abigor has just released a new album. I have it on its way, we´ll see when I get it.

In the meantime, let´s go for something anomalous from them:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
One thing that really cheers me up, as someone who played in various bands from the 70s through 80s, is to see so many people still playing real, traditional instruments like the drums.

In the 80's when drum machines became predominant, it felt like the life span of the drummer was now a short one - who needs a drummer when you can just program a drum machine? Even guitars were giving way to keyboards. I remember one of the most disheartening concerts in the 80s, seeing The Commodores, and during the soundcheck I couldn't see any provisions for the horn section, instead some keyboardist came out and started testing his keyboards playing the horn lines on a synth. My heart sunk "Oh no, please no..." And sure enough, no real horns during the show, just thin crappy sounding keyboard replacements.

In fact my friends and I in the 80's actually formed a huge funk band specifically because of how things were going like this, so we did lots of Commodores, EW&F and many other funk classics with full horn sections, percussion, etc. People loved it!

So whenever I see new guitar prodigies, and people still mastering drums, and young people on youtube displaying their facility with bass or drums or guitar or cello or whatever, it makes me happy to see real instruments survived the threat of electronic instruments.
Extreme Metal is packed with incredibly talented drummers. Top of my head, we can go for George Kollias from Nile:

Or Flo Mournier from Cryptopsy:

Tomas Haake from Meshuggah:

Last edited:

Mike710

Respect...

Last edited:

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Top tune but you have to watch the video...

Rock on Tommy!

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
PS The drummer was in Black Flag with Henry Rollins.

Mike710

Never though Mike could sing like that. Brought back some good memories...The good old 80´s Metal Years.!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Never though Mike could sing like that. Brought back some good memories...The good old 80´s Metal Years.!

The best cover Dream Theatre guys ever did, imo, is what Metallica should sound like: with Mark Greenway´s vocals on a harsh song:

"Blood will follow blood, dying time is here" sounds a lot better when it feels like Napalm Death.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what Metallica should sound like
Hetfield is a better rhythm guitarist, imho one of the best ever.
Also the song still suffers from the same problems as almost all other Metallica songs: a few good ideas/riffs, but almost completely ruined by the tasteless guitar solo and the overstretched length.

Speaking of taste and great rhythm guitarists:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Napalm Death has been a great starting point for experiments. Painkiller or Terrorizer, alingn with Scorn, are interesting music.

Hetfield is a better rhythm guitarist, imho one of the best ever.
Also the song still suffers from the same problems as almost all other Metallica songs: a few good ideas/riffs, but almost completely ruined by the tasteless guitar solo and the overstretched length.

Speaking of taste and great rhythm guitarists:
Among classic Thrash, I always feel a but with Metallica. Sure, they are the biggest name, but I find myself going for Slayer, Pantera or Annihilator a lot more often.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Got the album from Abigor. This is... Weird. I like it but it follows the path of very puzzling sound of these guys.

Mayan

Forum Donor
This world thread needs more high quality black metal !

I wholeheartedly agree with you Greal, and would thoroughly enjoy helping your cause with other members by contributing more Albums or Streams to the list from this point forward.

Last edited:
Top Bottom