• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Proper Metal music (no pony tails or choral crap)

Mike710

Mike710

Mike710

Mike710

Last edited:

Mike710

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Thanks for posting that. At first I thought it was just too tepid but I stuck with it and the piece went some fun places. Good guitarist.
It's really wonderful to see that there has been a renaissance in lead guitar. Some incredible players these days. I've become a fan of modern prog/math etc rock, so some of the usual suspects like Animals As Leaders, Polyphia, Plini and others.

Some of the recordings are INSANE for bass heaviness and punch!

I'd supposed Animals As Leaders have already made an appearance here, but just in case, from their latest album, great track and I LOVE this video. Absolute perfect fit for the track:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To drop a curveball here, because I like rock and I'm a fan of ABBA, here is Tommy Johansson's cover of ABBA's The Winner Takes It All.
Honestly I'm not a fan of either growl/death metal, or of the classic campy Spinal Tap era type of singing that some are still doing. But this guy has chops!

Mike710

Thanks for posting that. At first I thought it was just too tepid but I stuck with it and the piece went some fun places. Good guitarist.
It's really wonderful to see that there has been a renaissance in lead guitar. Some incredible players these days. I've become a fan of modern prog/math etc rock, so some of the usual suspects like Animals As Leaders, Polyphia, Plini and others.

Some of the recordings are INSANE for bass heaviness and punch!

I'd supposed Animals As Leaders have already made an appearance here, but just in case, from their latest album, great track and I LOVE this video. Absolute perfect fit for the track:

Thanks for the comments...

Yeah I am a long time prog fan, since the Rush / Hemisphere days. I like the new rock stuff too, and of course the old stuff, I was/am a Black Sabbath fan as a teen, I even have a tattoo of one of their albums! But I like to explore new grounds too, like blues, jazz, some ambient, even some of the Chemical Brothers vibs, but none of the new stuff like reggeaton and all that bs that hits mainstream radio now days. As long as It´s well made then I can live with It, but always a heavy at heart and always will be! My first concert as a teen (15) was a Runaways (Joan Jett / Lita Ford) The Ramones concert, so yeah I am headbanger/thrasher since the 80´s. I love most of the old 60´s/70´s music too, and must add that they sounded way better then todays high tech recordings, at least to my ears! Nothing like the smell of vinyl In the morning haha!

Seriously, we are lucky to have so many talented musicians past and present because music cures the soul!

For some flashback...

A jump to 2009...

Mike710

Gota say thou, some of these new bands have awesome drummers!

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gota say thou, some of these new bands have awesome drummers!

One thing that really cheers me up, as someone who played in various bands from the 70s through 80s, is to see so many people still playing real, traditional instruments like the drums.

In the 80's when drum machines became predominant, it felt like the life span of the drummer was now a short one - who needs a drummer when you can just program a drum machine? Even guitars were giving way to keyboards. I remember one of the most disheartening concerts in the 80s, seeing The Commodores, and during the soundcheck I couldn't see any provisions for the horn section, instead some keyboardist came out and started testing his keyboards playing the horn lines on a synth. My heart sunk "Oh no, please no..." And sure enough, no real horns during the show, just thin crappy sounding keyboard replacements.

In fact my friends and I in the 80's actually formed a huge funk band specifically because of how things were going like this, so we did lots of Commodores, EW&F and many other funk classics with full horn sections, percussion, etc. People loved it!

So whenever I see new guitar prodigies, and people still mastering drums, and young people on youtube displaying their facility with bass or drums or guitar or cello or whatever, it makes me happy to see real instruments survived the threat of electronic instruments.

Mike710

One thing that really cheers me up, as someone who played in various bands from the 70s through 80s, is to see so many people still playing real, traditional instruments like the drums.

In the 80's when drum machines became predominant, it felt like the life span of the drummer was now a short one - who needs a drummer when you can just program a drum machine? Even guitars were giving way to keyboards. I remember one of the most disheartening concerts in the 80s, seeing The Commodores, and during the soundcheck I couldn't see any provisions for the horn section, instead some keyboardist came out and started testing his keyboards playing the horn lines on a synth. My heart sunk "Oh no, please no..." And sure enough, no real horns during the show, just thin crappy sounding keyboard replacements.

In fact my friends and I in the 80's actually formed a huge funk band specifically because of how things were going like this, so we did lots of Commodores, EW&F and many other funk classics with full horn sections, percussion, etc. People loved it!

So whenever I see new guitar prodigies, and people still mastering drums, and young people on youtube displaying their facility with bass or drums or guitar or cello or whatever, it makes me happy to see real instruments survived the threat of electronic instruments.
I was In some bands too, heavy rock bands and well like most I wanted to be a famous rock star LOL. Later on I started to work In the music Industry (stage manager) and once I saw from the Inside how the Industry really was, I stopped dreaming of being a rock star! I then just took music as a hobby and even made myself a small home studio. I played guitar/bass/drums on and off during my life span and left the Industry 20 years ago.

Theirs always a risk with new tech, and since the late 90´s, tech has taken big leaps forward for good and bad. It´s a two sided knife, now anybody can build a small home studio, add plugins to their DAW and start "making" music without breaking the bank and paying for Instrument lessons! Which In turn brings us a lot of talented and not so talented bands/musicians to the world by self promotion! Now we have a ton of bands, but we also have a ton of bands that suck! Not to mention that most of the musicianship goes through sampled tech and app management. Even In the 90´s that was a thing with live performances where samples were triggered via MIDI, or you hand someone playing behind the curtain as backup.

You now have YT where you can find a ton of guitar teachers, or people that show you how to record etc. You can also self promote and skip all the label/manager bs we had In the past! So yeah, It´s a lot easier now for good and bad!

Nevertheless, while It´s easier now, I still admire those who stand out with their musicianship, because to be able to play like that takes time and effort, a lot of it! I think most of us here will agree with that, although some of todays so called teen "producers" will shy away from the real thing and that´s why some content tends to suck!

Ted Nugent once said, you gota play till you´re fingers bleed haha! Some teens wanna skip all that!

Last edited:

Mike710

Mike710

Out next month...

Mike710

Mike710

Middle Earth

Reactions: RHO

mrbungle

More crust punk than metal, but lots of fun, well made and with some ‘proper‘ killer guitar soli.
The Hope Conspiracy.

Top Bottom